Author Topic: Comment from the Pistons loss (Sixers up 2-1)  (Read 7594 times)

Comment from the Pistons loss (Sixers up 2-1)
« on: April 25, 2008, 10:42:57 PM »

Offline albert

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • ubuntu.
Was browsing around need4sheed looking for complaints and found this gem about being a bandwagon fan (written 4/25 @ 10:13pm):

Quote from: paranoid
I understand where you are coming from when you say I'm a bandwagoner.

Even if I would have accepted your criticism that I'm a victim of the the bandwagon effect (and I don't: I rooted for the pistons before and after 04), I only want to say this: I don't really care about jumping on the wagon that wins games. I'm about jumping on wagons that show spunk, soul and inspiration (even if they loose games).

There was even more soul in how the D-League Miami heat players played at the end of the season, than there was soul in the pistons team since the all-stars weekend break.

Maybe I'm just over venting and I will need to come back here and apologize. But this is how I feel right now. I don't remember a game that made me feel so disappointed and emotional compared to this one (and I've experienced bigger losses with bigger deficits).

More than anything I agree with what he's saying. There was a Globe article a few days ago that mentioned something like this ("you can tell the difference when a team is playing hard and fake-playing"), and even dare I say KG ("basketball is life") - both comment on the fact that you either play with passion, or "soul" or it's not worth doing. Very much like life.
Bleed Green. What does it mean?

Re: Comment from the Pistons loss (Sixers up 2-1)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 11:10:28 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I haven't seen any of this series, but the Sixers showed me a lot the last time they played the Celts.   They're hungry and confident.  A scary combo to be up against if you're fat and over-confident like Detroit.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 11:23:06 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Have to admit ... there's no team, (or individual players), that I hate as much as the Pistons, and I would like nothing more than to see them lose in the first round. I'm tired of their prima donna attitudes and their arrogance, and sick of the way the NBA and a majority of the media stroke these guys above and beyond what they deserve. Sorry, but it started many years ago, with the likes of Zeke, Laimbeer, Rodman, Salley, Dantley, Mahorn, and Johnson, (always respected Dumars, however), and the wound goes deep. The present team only serves to carry the torch of distaste and vitriole, and rub salt in that old wound.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 11:39:32 PM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 11:45:14 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If I was Detroit, I would start looking at a way to get Larry Brown back to coach.  He should be able to last just long enough for this team to finish it's run.

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 12:27:41 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
At first I thought this was just another series where Detroit would let one slip away, but it isn't. Pistons fans have every right to fear what will come, and so does the rest of the NBA. No I don't think the 76ers will make a huge run let alone beat the Pistons in this series[I'm still pretty confident Detroit will win] but it might show that this team is on the rise and might rank among one of the best teams in the east next year.

Then again Detroit has a tendency to be exposed for the past few years. Wdae exposed them as frauds in 2006 when they were expected to win it all going into the playoffs because of their record and their great chemistry. 2007, they were expected to be the one team that could actually compete with the west. The Cavs beat them in six, and then got swept. Think the Pistons would have done much better?

My theory is if the Pistons are to play the Celtics in the ECF, expect it to go to six games as well, if not FIVE games because this Celtics team has a better record than any team the Pistons have played in the post-season for the past several years. I don't expect the 76ers or the very likely to be Magic to upset, but Boston will finally knock some sense into them. You may think I am a homer for what I've said, but honestly, KG's intensity is quadrupled of what Rasheed Wallaces is. Rondo has imporved since the first time we played the Pistons and even if "Mr. Big shot" does take him to school we have Cassell.

The Pistons always think their matchups will be easy, and because of this, they lose important games. Some idiot on a message board stated Tayshaun Prince is just as good as Paul Pierce but he doesn't get much because he's the fourth option. Though that's true he is the fourth option, I've never seen Prince take over a game like Pierce, never have good shot selection like Pierce, or really cut to the basket like Pierce does. Again, I honestly think Detroit won't stand much of a chance against the Celtics.

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 01:58:38 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Chauncey's quotes about us celebrating like we won the championship when we beat them during the regular season come to mind right now.  When are you going to act like you're playing for one Chaunce?  Their attitude sucks and I'm glad it's biting them in the you know what right now.  In the end they might prevail but I'm proud to be a fan of a team that gives it all everytime it steps on the court.  As long as KG is here that'll be every night and I am thankful for that. 
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 02:33:06 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Man Chauncey stunk tonight. The Sixers kicked the crap out of the Pistons. Why does Flip Sanders have a tan? Don't they play in Detroit?
Sixers in 6!

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 03:35:06 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I just heard that The Bad Boys are now known
as The Not So Bad As They Wanna Be Boys.

I'm sorry but I can't help it  ::)

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 09:20:18 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
If I was Detroit, I would start looking at a way to get Larry Brown back to coach.  He should be able to last just long enough for this team to finish it's run.
I don't think Bill Davidson would ever go for it. Joe Dumars might.

They just need a coach with half brain. It's an easy sum .... Rip Hamilton = Best scorer, best 4th quarter scorer = Run offense to suit Rip Hamilton. Rip has had a decreasing scoring average come playoff time for 5 years now. Over those 5 years the only thing that's happened to his game is that he's gotten better at everything and some areas by a large margin (passing, three point shooting, defense). Their offense is desperate for a go-to scorer, they have one and they're not using him. Even look at his regular season averages for the last three years Rip has been beating up below .500 teams to pump his scoring averages while his scoring has been below average against +.500 teams. Those Tony Delk isos still give me the chills, their inability to close out games because they can't get easy baskets, their inability to win close playoff games. It's just shoddy strategy from the coaching staff. You're meant to use your best chips.

Flip needs to go.

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 09:25:23 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Have to admit ... there's no team, (or individual players), that I hate as much as the Pistons, and I would like nothing more than to see them lose in the first round. I'm tired of their prima donna attitudes and their arrogance, and sick of the way the NBA and a majority of the media stroke these guys above and beyond what they deserve. Sorry, but it started many years ago, with the likes of Zeke, Laimbeer, Rodman, Salley, Dantley, Mahorn, and Johnson, (always respected Dumars, however), and the wound goes deep. The present team only serves to carry the torch of distaste and vitriole, and rub salt in that old wound.
I feel exactly the same way. I think this Pistons team is the most overrated team in resent NBA history. All they do is lose when it matters and then I have to hear about their "experience" and "they've seen it all" stuff over and over.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 10:03:14 AM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
detroit played the worse i've ever seen them....they are the most recent team in the east to win a ring so they do have the "experience" and "they've seen it all"..

but i dont the celtics to face detroit..i hope philly wins the series...but i dont want to see detroit go out like that..

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 10:33:29 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I agree with some of the sentiment stated above.  From a basketball standpoint, I like Detroit: they hustle, play good defense, and they play as a team.  However, from a talent standpoint, they just aren't that good.  Unfortunately for them, this isn't college basketball.  You can't get by with just a bunch of good players.  You need a dominant superstar, and nobody on the team fills that role.  Yes, they won it all in 2004, but that was more a fluke (and LA blowing it) than it was really them. 

Ultimately, even if they pull this series out, I don't think they pose a serious threat to the Celtics. 

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 11:03:29 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I agree with some of the sentiment stated above.  From a basketball standpoint, I like Detroit: they hustle, play good defense, and they play as a team.  However, from a talent standpoint, they just aren't that good.  Unfortunately for them, this isn't college basketball.  You can't get by with just a bunch of good players.  You need a dominant superstar, and nobody on the team fills that role.  Yes, they won it all in 2004, but that was more a fluke (and LA blowing it) than it was really them. 

Ultimately, even if they pull this series out, I don't think they pose a serious threat to the Celtics. 

I think it is the opposite.  They have talent.  They lack the leadership from the bench that keeps them motivated through out games and series. 

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 12:46:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I think it is the opposite.  They have talent.  They lack the leadership from the bench that keeps them motivated through out games and series. 

I think they lack talent. Their margin of error is minimal, getting 5 guys on that page at that high level that consistently is tough and they have to have it or else they can't win. They can't beat top teams when only 3 of their starting 5 shows up. And we're not talking average perfromances here either, their top players have to be playing some of their best stuff just to compete. That's a lack of talent. Celtics can hang in their with Pierce and KG playing well and only average performances from the rest of the team, Detroit can't. Several other of the top teams can do so also (Spurs, Rockets, Lakers ... etc).

Great bench. Nice starting 5 but they lack talent at the top of their roster.

They lack a head coach too. I think the motivation argument is crock of nonsense. They lack a game plan not motivation. They're losing to Phily because they're game plan sucks and they're not talented enough to fight through it. Motivation has nothing to do with it, this is a media creation to explain the loss.

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 12:53:44 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
The Pistons are like the Braves of the NBA.  They won the title once, and ever since they think they are the top team and don't need to give there best effort because everyone is below them.  Everyone always says, oh wait for the Pistons to "turn it on" in the playoffs.  Well they're too old to just turn it on now.  They just have an attitude about them, that says we don't need to try hard.  Which is why this is happening to them.