Author Topic: Josh Howard Is An Idiot  (Read 14188 times)

Re: Josh Howard Is An Idiot
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 09:49:30 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
from a friend who used to toke it up with a former celtic (won't name names) - a good portion of the league smokes the reefer, so J.Howard isn't off base, but he was dumb to say it - these people are role models for the kids....

Yeah, I also think that a good at least 20% of the NBA player smokes weed. I could name two off the top of my head right now. Stephon Marbury and DeShawn Stevenson.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 11:08:32 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
What next; Shall it be revealed B.B. players and our Pro athletes say dirty words during competition, and the media will act shocked to find out?... Please, think of the young guns :)

Agreed, not a wise revelation to make to the media, but I respect the mans honesty, which is refeshing in this age of more PC misleading personalitys and groomed personas... Especially so with regards to the medicinal effects of the maligned substance in question. Chief use to use it also, and that was 25 years ago. About time its use becomes legitimate and taxed rather than further stigmatise otherwise healthy and honest people.
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 11:23:19 PM »

Offline casCELTIC

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
  • Cassell, I am - Huevos, I use.
from a friend who used to toke it up with a former celtic (won't name names) - a good portion of the league smokes the reefer, so J.Howard isn't off base, but he was dumb to say it - these people are role models for the kids....

Yeah, I also think that a good at least 20% of the NBA player smokes weed. I could name two off the top of my head right now. Stephon Marbury and DeShawn Stevenson.

I could name two on the Celtics roster, but I don't want to be inflammatory...

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 11:23:43 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Now in regards to illegal substances...I don't really care what he does in his private life.  If he wants to smoke weed...who cares?  I don't really perceive NBA players as being role models for kids.  To be honest I wouldn't care about the youths of this country if I was an NBA player myself.  He owes it to himself and his family to make a decent living.  He's not responsible for the kids who look up to him in my opinion.  Now with that stated I feel that it is obvious he kicked himself in the butt here because this could implicate him in the eyes of the NBA.  However, I don't feel it is fair to assess the situation from the point of view of impressionable kids.  Totally off topic. 

we're talking about something that is ILLEGAL here, so to say who cares is problematic.  I'm glad you're not an NBA player, because I hope people who are in the public eye realize others look up to them and thus hold back on their comments, and even more hopefully their actions.  If you read the article on Ray Allen and his perceived OCD, there was something I loved about how he doesn't drink and he's trying to keep Perk and Baby from going out and partying during the season...and here we're talking about something legal, but potentially dangerous vs. something illegal like marijuanna. Whether or not an NBA guy or a NHL or NFL or actor or politician or whoever wants to be, they are public figures and should be held at a higher level of scrutiny than citizen X...    
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 11:40:41 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
I understand it's use is illegitimate, however alcohol is far more dangerous to actions when consumed as well as long range health consequences; Again, whereas weed has mild relaxant properties which would be just what the DR. would order and in fact they do. But it's use illegal, still.

Not an advocate of either substances use, and most certainly against the consumption of alcohol, although it is legal!

Certainly if I were to pick between the two, to relax, alcohol would not be in the discusion...

"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 11:45:50 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458

I could name two on the Celtics roster, but I don't want to be inflammatory...

Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 11:51:17 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
There is dumb.

And then there is going onto ESPN and telling the world 'I take illegal drugs in the offseason'

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008, 12:58:40 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
"Puff, the Magic Dragon..."
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2008, 02:21:18 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I respect Josh for being honest, and I agree that there are numerous players in the League that smoke and do play games high.  I don't see this as being a big deal at all, and this is coming from a 21 year old that has never smoked before in his life.  It couldn't have had an ill effect on his Mavs, as they finally won a game tonight.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2008, 02:38:25 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
There is dumb.

And then there is going onto ESPN and telling the world 'I take illegal drugs in the offseason'

Actually, he didn't just come out with it, a Dallas paper wrote a story saying he smoked marijuana, and mentioning that he had admitted to it repeatedly in the past(he had). 

Link (from last Saturday):
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/041908dnspohowardsider.3c2e27c.html

I've actually heard of this before through TrueHoop; the only reason this is being made into such a big deal is because it happened on an ESPN radio station, and it's the playoffs - the newspaper story he responded to was almost a week old, and that hadn't been publicized nationally. 

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2008, 08:30:01 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I don't respect anyone who thinks it is fine to publicly come out and say that they break the law and that they plan on continuing to do that. Especially when it comes from a celebrity that kids will look up to. Honesty doesn't come from being caught in doing something wrong and admitting it. It comes from realizing you did something wrong and taking steps to correct it before someone corners you with the question on the air. For anyone to try and make it sound like he is a good citizen because he owned up to it when pressed, using the excuse "everybody does it", amazes me. We should hold these guys more accountable. If I were Stern the guy would be suspended the rest of the year. No questions asked. 

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2008, 08:30:52 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
I respect Josh for being honest, and I agree that there are numerous players in the League that smoke and do play games high.  I don't see this as being a big deal at all, and this is coming from a 21 year old that has never smoked before in his life.  It couldn't have had an ill effect on his Mavs, as they finally won a game tonight.

you respect a guy for breaking the law and then boasting about it...honesty and stupidity are two different things... ::)  nice, real nice...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2008, 08:57:13 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
I don't respect anyone who thinks it is fine to publicly come out and say that they break the law and that they plan on continuing to do that. Especially when it comes from a celebrity that kids will look up to. Honesty doesn't come from being caught in doing something wrong and admitting it. It comes from realizing you did something wrong and taking steps to correct it before someone corners you with the question on the air. For anyone to try and make it sound like he is a good citizen because he owned up to it when pressed, using the excuse "everybody does it", amazes me. We should hold these guys more accountable. If I were Stern the guy would be suspended the rest of the year. No questions asked. 

100% agreed - the league is finally starting to come out of the era of image problems in my opinion, it doesn't need anything else like this - before others follow suit in support of ignorance, suspend the guy and send that message

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2008, 09:14:41 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
you know how they say the average NBA player files for bankruptcy or is broke something like within 3 years after their career is over.... I give Howard 14 days

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »

Offline tyri34

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
For those of you who "support" Howard's decision and claim that it is and has before been commonplace in the NBA, may I please see a list of players from the past or present that have admitted to recreationally smoking marijuanain the offseason, during the season, or even DURING GAMES as one post said? I'd be interested just to know where people get these ideas...