Author Topic: 9.2 + 1.4 + 1.3 = DPOY??  (Read 8549 times)

Re: 9.2 + 1.4 + 1.3 = DPOY??
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 11:45:07 AM »

Offline DannyZ

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Marcus Camby has better defensive "numbers" but his team allows 157 points per game.  Who is the better defensive player?

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 11:49:16 AM »

Offline BleedinGreen417

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
DUDE,  are you kidding me!! Garnett was the best defender on the best defensive team.  He's probably not going to the MVP so he had to get something.
DPOY is the consolation prize for not winning MVP, plain and simple. DPOY says a whole lot more about the team and its commitment. Congrats to KG and to the team!  8)

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 11:56:40 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
2 of those rebounds per game were offensive rebounds per game were on the offensive end, so we can knock it down to a paltry 7.2 RPG. Take the trophy away from that man right now.  ::)

BTW, did you notice how KG called the entire team out to accept the award with him?  That's the key to KG's defensive prowess.  The Celtics, as a a team,  are playing defense the likes of which the NBA has seldom seen.  KG is the leader of the attack.  Numbers shmumbers.  KG won this Award by completing outclassing the competition.

However, KG was a huge disappointment in my roto league. 
Yup

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 12:01:04 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
2 of those rebounds per game were offensive rebounds per game were on the offensive end, so we can knock it down to a paltry 7.2 RPG. Take the trophy away from that man right now.  ::)

BTW, did you notice how KG called the entire team out to accept the award with him?  That's the key to KG's defensive prowess.  The Celtics, as a a team,  are playing defense the likes of which the NBA has seldom seen.  KG is the leader of the attack.  Numbers shmumbers.  KG won this Award by completing outclassing the competition.

I never quite understood why people were so high on KG for fantasy going into this year.  The only thing I was surprised by was his low assist numbers.  I fully expected his minutes, points, boards, blocks, steals to go down and thought his FG% would go up.  I guess it basically depended on how well you knew his game... because I think most longtime KG watchers knew that he was likely to defer/sacrifice his own numbers to help the team gel and win.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 12:08:06 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

I never quite understood why people were so high on KG for fantasy going into this year.  The only thing I was surprised by was his low assist numbers.  I fully expected his minutes, points, boards, blocks, steals to go down and thought his FG% would go up.  I guess it basically depended on how well you knew his game... because I think most longtime KG watchers knew that he was likely to defer/sacrifice his own numbers to help the team gel and win.
2 things on this

1) He wasn't on my team so I wasn't all that disappointed
2) We have a keeper league with salaries that go up over the years. KG had been "kept" every year since he was drafted so his salary was ridiculously high in our league.

But, yeh, it was pretty predictable that all of the Big 3's #'s would take significant hits this year.
Yup

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 12:10:02 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Camby block numbers are inflatted. 

Is AI or Melo keeping anyone from getting into the paint?  Camby probably has 2 to 3 times the opportunity to pick up block shots since no one else on the team is keeping their man in front of them.

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 12:12:27 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
points against: league leading 90.3
points differential: league leading 10.3
double digit losses: league leading 3
<snip>

Sadly, the Pistons caught us in points against on the last day of the regular season by playing a Cleveland team that sat LeBron (so, basically a D-league team).  Too bad, I really wanted that one.

While I felt the same way, it's worth remembering that the C's were still the statistically best defensive team i the league.  Over the last few years, per game measures of team offense and defense have begun to give way to efficiency, which is truthfully a much more accurate stat, as it takes pace into account -- points per 100 possessions.  The Celts led from wire to wire in that department this season.  No need to feel too bad about the total points  :)

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 12:31:07 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
These probably are statistically the worst numbers of recent award getters.

Which means the voters are getting smarter.

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 12:40:35 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm not a big stat guy but i do know what my two eyes have seen and told me this season:  KG is a defensive force that alters opponents' offensive tendencies and lifts the overall team defense dramatically.  Stats be [dang]ed, his defensive presence has made huge impact in the games played out of the court.  Also, he plays defense in a very cerebral way; he's not just trying to reject a shot into the shots, he's thinking about tipping to a teammate to push it up court or simply leading his man into a territory where Perk or someone else will step in and make a stop.  Very Russell-esque in that aspect.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 01:20:41 PM »

Offline bleedingreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Hinrich sucks, Deng sucks, Bulls suck, I'm out.
I'm going to throw some numbers at you.

Worst to first.

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 03:08:10 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Those numbers represent KG's rebounds, steals, and blocks for the year.  Sorry to say but they don't stand out.  I love KG and recognize his influence on this team...but these might be the worst numbers in history for any award winner.

wow, just wow!!!!  i sense "baiting".