Author Topic: 9.2 + 1.4 + 1.3 = DPOY??  (Read 8550 times)

9.2 + 1.4 + 1.3 = DPOY??
« on: April 25, 2008, 08:56:08 AM »

Offline Mon

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Those numbers represent KG's rebounds, steals, and blocks for the year.  Sorry to say but they don't stand out.  I love KG and recognize his influence on this team...but these might be the worst numbers in history for any award winner.

Re: 9.2 + 1.4 + 1.3 = DPOY??
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 09:02:26 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Those are tangibles....how about intangibles?

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 09:03:13 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
points against: league leading 90.3
points differential: league leading 10.3
double digit losses: league leading 3

i don't have the time to get exact numbers but i know this team lead the league in opposing fg and 3pt %'s among others.

the defensive superiority of this team is outstanding. and kevin garnett embodies that.

it was a no-brainer giving him the award, but it seems as though people such as yourself would prefer to see camby and josh smith stuff the stat sheet yet play absolutely no team defence and as a result grab the 8th seed in their respective conferences.

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 09:19:44 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I guess the players Garnett is guarding shooting 13% below the league average at their position means nothing.  For example, if PF around the league are shooting 50% from the field, when they match-up against KG they're shooting 37%.

I guess players don't make good denfensive moves unless they end up blocking a shot or getting a steal. I guess players like Al Jefferson who can rebound the ball can be considered good defenders, since rebounding is such a key stat for defenders.

There's a reason why Bruce Bowen is always considered.  There's a reason for why Ron Artest won it a couple of years ago, and the reasons don't show up in stat sheets.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 09:37:29 AM »

Offline PointGaurd

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
DUDE,  are you kidding me!! Garnett was the best defender on the best defensive team.  He's probably not going to the MVP so he had to get something.

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 09:46:06 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Not going to waste my time defending KG's defense.

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 09:59:29 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
with celtic on this one, not gonna waste my time. if stats are all that are important to you, then you don't get what great defense is.

theres no stats for altered shots, drive prevention, and intidation.

it stats are all that important to you, then those guys are bad defenders. bruce bowen (he's dirty but good) posey, kobe (not very high up there on steals, but let me tell you, when he's on a gaurd, its a long night) Pierce, sheed, and a ton of others.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 10:03:16 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Those numbers represent KG's rebounds, steals, and blocks for the year.  Sorry to say but they don't stand out.  I love KG and recognize his influence on this team...but these might be the worst numbers in history for any award winner.

If you recognized his influence you wouldn't have started this thread.

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 10:16:20 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Obviously you are gonna get railed for starting this thread. The best example is someone like Bowen, who is known througout the league for his incredible defense...take a look at his numbers the last three years:

2005-06- 3.9 rebs, 1 stl, .4 blk

2006-07- 2.7 rebs, .8 stl, .3 blk

2007-08- 2.9 rebs, .7 stl, .3 blk

Man, if you ask me, these numbers are much much worse than Kevin Garnett's. Throw in KG's intangibles (as have already been explained in this thread), and you will realize just how wrong you are about this assertion that he is not worthy of the award...

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 10:23:57 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I've got to say, I'm a little shocked by this thread.  I hate the "you have to watch the games" response, but that's the case in this instance.

One could point out that KG's stats were partially kept down by his limited number of minutes (32.8 mpg, by far his fewest since his rookie year).  They could mention that teams only averaged an absurdly low 86.6 points per game when KG was on the floor as a PF, or that he held opposing PFs to an eFG% of 42.1%, well below the league average.  KG controlled the paint, with opposing PFs only scoring 34% of their baskets inside or close to the hoop.  He limited the PFs he covered to 10.7 rebounds per 48 minutes (while pulling down 13.3/48 himself), and he only averaged a personal foul against opposing PFs once every 12 minutes.

I could point all of those things out, but they don't really matter, because the best demonstration of KG's defensive impact comes from observing him closely on the floor.  In doing so, you understand that he clearly deserved the DPOY, from his hollering out instructions to his teammates, to cutting off drives (allowing Pierce, Rondo, and Ray to be more effective on the perimeter), to boxing out on rebounds and keeping his man out of the paint.  Stats be [dang]ed; KG was the best and most influential defensive player in the league this year.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 10:24:33 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
points against: league leading 90.3
points differential: league leading 10.3
double digit losses: league leading 3
<snip>

Sadly, the Pistons caught us in points against on the last day of the regular season by playing a Cleveland team that sat LeBron (so, basically a D-league team).  Too bad, I really wanted that one.

But yeah, KG is the clear DPOY - take the end of the first Houston game, for example - statistically he did very little defensively, but he obviously was a dominant defensive force.  Same deal all year.

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 10:25:15 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
DUDE,  are you kidding me!! Garnett was the best defender on the best defensive team.  He's probably not going to the MVP so he had to get something.

Sadly this is probably the case. I do agree that Garnett was the best defensive player in the league this year but somehow I can't help feeling this was the voter's way of saying "Sorry were not giving you the MVP".

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 10:30:30 AM »

Offline Bleedgr33n

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
pass whatever you got to the right man... KG is the real deal

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 10:48:04 AM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24

Remember, KG's minutes = also low

Duncan's blocks are low (for instance) because he is defending his man.  Camby's blocks are high because he does not.  Steals are often a product of gambling also.  Really the best argument for Garnett is this:  the Celtics were 18th in defense last year, #1 this year.  And not just #1.  In terms of defensive efficiency, they were not just #1, but (per 100 possessions) they were 13 points better than the 2nd rated team.  In terms of efficiency, this is one of the best defensive teams of all time.

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 10:51:03 AM »

Offline saibnel

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
this thread is a joke, right?