Author Topic: Gino!?  (Read 8106 times)

Re: Gino!?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008, 09:52:43 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!

And having seen the whole Gino bit in person at the Garden for the first time on Sunday, I have to say it's got to be about the most overrated thing ever.   It's silly. I'll give it that.

I was there Sunday, and I was a little disappointed, Gino used to be funny.  But of course, C's management had to ruin it by "making it theirs."  The dancers came out with Gino t-shirts on, and the jumbotron said "IT'S GINO TIME!"   Instead of being a fun little inside joke that the fans created, it turned into a Celtics Creation:

"We are going to show Gino, and we are going to tell you when and how to cheer for him." 

I think that mentality is what is sucking the fun out of it...it has become overrated because instead of enjoying it for what it is, C's management made a huge deal out of it so they could sell a couple T-shirts. 

I was going to complain about downplaying Gino's importance, but then I read the second post, I had no idea they did all that. That is a shame, I remember in the bad years of the Celtics it was always something funny to look forward to.

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 10:49:40 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Does anyone (besides the above poster) care about hack singer Gino Vannelli?  The real icon is the guy in the GINO shirt disco dancing like crazy on the old TV clip.

I can't believe that he hasn't been identified yet. 

Hack singer?!? Sorry, man, but that shows how very little you know about music ... and Gino Vannelli.

Sorry man, but your blathering about Vannelli makes you look kinda silly. 

do we really need to attack people for thier musical tastes?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 10:53:55 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Gino has officially jumped the shark.  :P

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 10:58:31 AM »

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 56
Yeah, it used to be that they'd show that American Bandstand video, and when the guy with the Gino Vannelli shirt appeared on screen, the crowd would laugh and cheer, because the guy looks so dorky. Now the Celtics have grabbed it and used it to manufacture more "game night entertainment" as they call it. The pole dancers put on Gino shirts, and do moves they copped from the video. There is a big build-up, Gino is coming! Show anyone in the crowd wearing a Gino shirt! ... turn it into a show-biz event. It's lost all its goofy appeal. Now it's just more of the same idiotic nonsense that they feel they have to feed the crowd.

As for Gino (the musician himself, not the dancer), he's from the same province that gave us Celine Dion. His biggest hits were "Living Inside Myself" and "I Just Wanna Stop". A skilled musician, but slick, highly produced, pop power-ballads aren't to everyone's taste. When he decided to go down that road, a lot of his fans lost interest.

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 11:04:22 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
yea, it is a bit sad.

that's the way of sports now though. market everything.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 11:22:34 AM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
Gino has officially jumped the shark.  :P

Well said Donoghus...

I agree that they're really over doing the whole Gino Time! thing now.  They used to just show an American Bandstand clip as a joke to see the people on that show in the 70's - and they'd play a Bee Gee's song or something.  It was cool to cheer when Gino came on and yell his name when the C's were winning.  It wasn't so bad when just some people had one of those "older" more underground Gino shirts.  Then the bandwagon came.  Everyone has a Gino shirt. Once something like this is played so many times, to me, it eventually gets played out.  I think Gino is about to fall off the cliff... he has definitely jumped the shark.  I'll still cheer for him at games though. 
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 03:10:17 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
true gino is over-hyped and over-marketted....but i must admit, when i see that little turd shaking his groove thing on the jumbotron, i cant help but enjoy it ;D