Author Topic: Atlanta is dangerous right now  (Read 12335 times)

Re: Atlanta is dangerous right now
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 03:36:40 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Everyone is making good points here, but I think we are missing the crucial one. Why on earth did Doc have starters in the game with 6 min to go and a 20 point lead?! PP didn't come out until about the 3 min mark and KG shortly after. The game was clearly in hand, the Hawks were getting nasty and only trying to play tough guys. If they wanted to get tough they should have done so with PJ, BBD, TA, House, and Sam on the floor. Not KG PP and Ray.

Horford is becoming a little whiny ''witch'' isn't he?!

i tend to agree with you here, but we all know that Doc likes to squash things like this.

Tommy and Cousy were talking about this in the telecast and i think felt the same way, but also felt like Doc was letting them know that we are not going to let up like DET did against Philly in game one.

Philly is a much better team right now and are actually playing basketball, so it is not a perfect comparison. but we are also still a pretty new team all things considered and i think Doc wants them to get in a pattern of letting up for future series.

i think he wants them to be thinking about executing throughout entire games because that is going to be paramount in the games ahead of us.

and still when i saw Pierce holding his back, shock waves went through me because you know that Paul does not show pain unless it is really bad....

anyway, i just think Atlanta needs to come to play basketball and i hope Woodson lets them know that that is not what they did last night.

IMO hard-nosed play needs to be backed up by high quality play and when you are not doing that, then all you are really doing is endangering the other team.

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 03:58:59 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
this is the playoffs...you take no chances.

besides, they get the next two days to rest.

i know it's been awhile since we've played games that really matter, but the playoffs are played and coached entirely different...it's do or die.  doc is making good decisions.  the last thing that needs to happen is putting the bench in the game and watching a 20 point lead get trimmed down to 10 with, say, 2-3 minutes left to play.

then we'd have a thread started about how stupid doc was, wouldn't we?

I don't care about the rest. I cared about Horford or Smith throwing 'bows or undercutting them or something. Crownsy is dead on with this one. If they cut it to 8-10 we put the big dogs back in for the last couple. No big deal. In fact, I think we could play our second unit the whole game and give them more than they want. These guys would have likley pushed the lead up vs. given it away. I agree in the finals, not against the Hawks in round 1 with some punk rookies trying to prove their men...

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 06:05:25 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
A team like Atlanta is only dangerous if taken for granted, and I think the Celts have learned not to do that with any team. They take things one team at a time, one game at a time, and that's the smartest and best approach possible.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 06:31:51 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
A team like Atlanta is only dangerous if taken for granted, and I think the Celts have learned not to do that with any team. They take things one team at a time, one game at a time, and that's the smartest and best approach possible.

I don't think that he means dangerous in the sense of being able to sneak up on us and beat us. I think he means dangerous as one of their young thugs trying to hurt one of our guys. Taking one game at a time doesn't prevent them from taking a pot shot and injuring one of the big three. We lose one and it is bye bye #17.

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 06:33:31 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
this is the playoffs...you take no chances.

besides, they get the next two days to rest.

i know it's been awhile since we've played games that really matter, but the playoffs are played and coached entirely different...it's do or die.  doc is making good decisions.  the last thing that needs to happen is putting the bench in the game and watching a 20 point lead get trimmed down to 10 with, say, 2-3 minutes left to play.

then we'd have a thread started about how stupid doc was, wouldn't we?

I don't care about the rest. I cared about Horford or Smith throwing 'bows or undercutting them or something. Crownsy is dead on with this one. If they cut it to 8-10 we put the big dogs back in for the last couple. No big deal. In fact, I think we could play our second unit the whole game and give them more than they want. These guys would have likley pushed the lead up vs. given it away. I agree in the finals, not against the Hawks in round 1 with some punk rookies trying to prove their men...

oh, we live in this p*ssy society today...what atlanta has done is nothing.  when they pull off a mchale-on-rambis clothesline then let me know.  it's typical playoff basketball...apparently you haven't been watching the cav's/wizards series...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 06:38:38 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
you mean king james acting like breathing in his personal air space is a flagrant foul?

yea ive been watching bron bron cry, whats the big deal?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

I don't think that he means dangerous in the sense of being able to sneak up on us and beat us. I think he means dangerous as one of their young thugs trying to hurt one of our guys. Taking one game at a time doesn't prevent them from taking a pot shot and injuring one of the big three. We lose one and it is bye bye #17.

Thanks for pointing that out, EJ - TP! You'd think I'd have learned to back-track to the original post by now ... gettin' lazy in my old age!  ;) That said, while I'll admit that these guys are going a bit far, it is a regular part of playoff basketball, and has been for many years. I have more of a problem with the referees, as there should have been a similar flagrant call made when Pierce was injured ... the officiating last night truly sucked.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 06:42:11 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
you mean king james acting like breathing in his personal air space is a flagrant foul?

yea ive been watching bron bron cry, whats the big deal?

Yeah ... really, Crownsy, (TP) ... he scraped his elbow the other night, and I thought they were going to bring out the stretcher! Man, they baby that kid!

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 08:07:43 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
I don't really agree - Atlanta isn't nearly as thug like as say Pat Riley's old Knick teams. I don't think his player are out of control. You are worrying too much.

Pete

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 08:08:50 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
some of the team is fine, josh smith is clearly confusing playing hard with playing cheap right now.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 08:24:22 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
some of the team is fine, josh smith is clearly confusing playing hard with playing cheap right now.

Yup ... Smith has little command of his emotions, and has trouble being subordinate to ... aw, heck ... the guy's a jerk, man!

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2008, 08:26:51 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Smith and Horford have both been playing dirty. Course Horford did cheat shot Ford earlier in the year.

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 09:10:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Getting back to EJ's point, I gotta say I was screaming at the television asking Doc why the GPA were still in the game up 20 with 3-4 minutes left. That's just not the smartest move he's made this year.

First, he knew this was a chippy and flagrantly physical game. He knows KG isn't going to back down or keep his mouth shut during those types of moments. He knows if Atlanta goes cheap someone is getting hurt and probably susspended from both sides because Boston isn't going to sit there and not retaliate.

Keeping the stars in the game at that point was dumb, dumb, dumb. I have been a prolific Doc supporter but leaving them in was stupid beyond measure considering the nature of the game.

I was going to start a thread about it but I'm on vacation and haven't been able to get to the laptop too often(The wife would kill me if she knew I was blogging now, luckily she loves trying to make me poor and shopping intervened and I was given a opportunity.)

Doc had better not be stupid enough to fall into the same situation that the Suns got themselves into with the Spurs last year. This team is too good to be leaving them out there when they don't have to be.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 09:35:17 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2008, 09:11:18 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
want to see a dirty team, watch the wizards...running their mouths a lot too.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2008, 09:16:37 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Getting back to EJ's point, I gotta say I was screaming at the television asking why the GPA were still in the game up 20 with 3-4 minutes left. That's just not the smartest move he's made this year.

First, he knew this was a chippy and flagrantly physical game. He knows KG isn't going to back down or keep his mouth shut during those types of moments. He knows if Atlanta goes cheap someone is getting hurt and probably susspended from both sides because Boston isn't going to sit there and not retaliate.

Keeping the stars in the game at that point was dumb, dumb, dumb. I have been a prolific Doc supporter but leaving them in was stupid beyond measure considering the nature of the game.

I was going to start a thread about it but I'm on vacation and haven't been able to get to the laptop too often(The wife would kill me if she knew I was blogging now, luckily she loves trying to make me poor and shopping intervened and I was given a opportunity.)

Doc had better not be stupid enough to fall into the same situation that the Suns got themselves into with the Spurs last year. This team is too good to be leaving them out there when they don't have to be.

I agree, Nick ... I was scratching my head big-time at that one ... especially where our guys are so quick to give their bodies up for the greater good ... take them out so you don't take that chance, ya know? I, too, had thought of starting a thread about questioning that decision, but the last two Doc threads I started got me into deep water, with people accusing me of "Doc-bashing", etc. Thanks for bringing the point up, though ... it was a highly questionable move to keep them in when the game was long-since over. TP.

* BAHKU MUSIC *