Author Topic: What were the Hawks Thinking...  (Read 5146 times)

What were the Hawks Thinking...
« on: April 23, 2008, 11:56:54 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
...when they drafted Marvin Williams, a near carbon copy of their two 1st round picks the year before, instead of Chris Paul?  And where would they be right now had they take Paul instead (remember, they wouldn't have Williams or probably Horford, but they might've ended up with Rudy Gay instead of Shelden Williams in 2006, and Thaddeus Young/Al Thorton instead of Al Horford in 2007... tough to say).

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: What were the Hawks Thinking...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 01:18:05 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
...when they drafted Marvin Williams, a near carbon copy of their two 1st round picks the year before, instead of Chris Paul?  And where would they be right now had they take Paul instead (remember, they wouldn't have Williams or probably Horford, but they might've ended up with Rudy Gay instead of Shelden Williams in 2006, and Thaddeus Young/Al Thorton instead of Al Horford in 2007... tough to say).

Wow.  Imagine a lineup of  pg. Chris Paul
                           sg. Rudy Gay
                           sf. Al Thornton
                           pf. Josh Smith
                           c.  ?????????

Gay, Thornton, and Smith are three of the best dunkers in the league.  With CP3 throwing them alleys they would be unstoppable.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 01:31:58 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

Wow.  Imagine a lineup of  pg. Chris Paul
                           sg. Rudy Gay
                           sf. Al Thornton
                           pf. Josh Smith
                           c.  ?????????

Gay, Thornton, and Smith are three of the best dunkers in the league.  With CP3 throwing them alleys they would be unstoppable.

Haha, I can't exactly say they'd have Gay or Thad/Thorton... but my basic expectations for the worse draft position due to having Chris Paul would've put the Hawks right about where those guys were.  Either way, they could have a core of Paul, Joe Johnson, Josh Smith.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 02:30:26 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Josh Smith would have had the Kenyon Martin experience, where all of a sudden a great point guard makes you a great player, and earn about 6-7 million more a year than you deserve.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 03:24:42 PM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
the funny thing is Marvin Williams isn't horrible, but yeah paul is SO much better. Teams make these mistakes every year.

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 04:30:09 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
they might've ended up with Rudy Gay instead of Shelden Williams in 2006, and Thaddeus Young/Al Thorton instead of Al Horford in 2007... tough to say).

Just a reminder: if the Hawks pick wasn't in the top-3 last year, it would have been sent to Phoenix to complete the Joe Johnson trade.

The Williams pick never made a lot of sense.  Everyone knew they needed a point guard first, and a big man second.  Instead, they went with yet another swingman.  Adding CP3 or Deron Williams to that team would have been huge.  Instead, they went with "tremendous upside potential", and got burned.

(Williams isn't a bad player, and is still only 21 years old.  He's never going to be on the same level as Chris Paul, though, and it's hard to believe that anybody ever thought he could be.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 04:44:24 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
they might've ended up with Rudy Gay instead of Shelden Williams in 2006, and Thaddeus Young/Al Thorton instead of Al Horford in 2007... tough to say).

Just a reminder: if the Hawks pick wasn't in the top-3 last year, it would have been sent to Phoenix to complete the Joe Johnson trade.

The Williams pick never made a lot of sense.  Everyone knew they needed a point guard first, and a big man second.  Instead, they went with yet another swingman.  Adding CP3 or Deron Williams to that team would have been huge.  Instead, they went with "tremendous upside potential", and got burned.

(Williams isn't a bad player, and is still only 21 years old.  He's never going to be on the same level as Chris Paul, though, and it's hard to believe that anybody ever thought he could be.)

That trade part is true, thanks Roy, I knew there was some quirk about one of their picks.  Anyways, I agree with all that.  It really confuses me... I just don't see any possible reason that justifies that pick.  Yes, maybe Marvin Williams had incredible potential.  But if I'm the GM of a team with almost 0 assets worth holding (like the Hawks in 2003) my goal is to fear out a cohesive starting team with as much talent and as quickly as possible.  In 2004 they took a SF that was good in college (Childress) and a SF of almost the same body type, but with a ton of potential, in the same round (Smith).  That alone is questionable, neither had the skill set to be a shooting guard or the size to be a 4.  They were both small forwards, why take them in the same draft?  Next draft, same story.  There are two clear franchise point guards for the taking.... and you take another SF???  Yeah, he had major upside and could maybe even play the 4 if he filled out, but his skills set was still pretty similar to both guys you took the year before.

Okay... I'm done venting....