Author Topic: Dwighty "the Mighty" Howard  (Read 8665 times)

Dwighty "the Mighty" Howard
« on: April 23, 2008, 09:08:49 AM »

Offline bringbackcousy

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 20
ok lame name I just made up, sorry...

Has anyone been seeing Dwight's amazing numbers in the playoffs?

Game 1: 25 pts 22 Rebs 5 blocks 61.5% FG

Game 2: 29 pts 20 Rebs 3 blocks 70.5% FG

and he is doing pretty well on free throws right now too.

Is he stepping it up for playoffs, or did he just have 2 great games and he will slow down a little? He just seems to be a beast that nobody can stop, or maybe just Toronto can't stop him.

Re: Dwighty "the Mighty" Howard
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 09:16:55 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
A really good player.  I think he can cause a lot of problems to the small big men of Detroit as well. 

Boston has the big men needed to put a body on him every time a shot goes up.  He is still going to probably average around 15 rebounds a game, but they should be able to limit his offensive rebounds as long as someone is assigned to block him out on every shot. 

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 09:18:20 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
He's putting in a lot more effort on the offensive glass. He was coasting during the regular season in this area as he readily admitted in the past. That's a big reason for the increase in rebounds, double the regular season numbers and it'll continue at a high clip, and the resulting easy chances.

The second is Toronto's perimeter defense has been very poor, dribble drive penetration, help defense has to rotate and Dwight gets the dish and easy two. That's the second reason for his better performance.

Third is more minutes

He's putting a huge effort in defensively. His focus and effort is incredible. Definitely upping his game to another level in this area. Dominant.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 09:23:12 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
A really good player.  I think he can cause a lot of problems to the small big men of Detroit as well. 

Boston has the big men needed to put a body on him every time a shot goes up.  He is still going to probably average around 15 rebounds a game, but they should be able to limit his offensive rebounds as long as someone is assigned to block him out on every shot. 
I think Rasheed Wallace defends him better than anyone on either team. He's probably be the single best defender against Dwight in the East. 

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 09:26:33 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I think Rasheed Wallace defends him better than anyone on either team. He's probably be the single best defender against Dwight in the East. 

I agree the defense against him will be better.  But I think Detroit will have a harder time keeping him off the boards. 

Plus, if Wallace is on him, Mcdyse will have to guard Lewis or Hedo. 

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 09:29:09 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Watching him last night was incredible.  He was in absolute control of that point on both ends of the floor.  Toronto has no answers for him.  He's definitely stepped up his game for the playoffs but I think you can also attribute some of his dominance to the inefficiencies of Toronto's interior guys. 

The whole Bosh/Howard matchup was extremely fun to watch last night.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 09:39:45 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I agree the defense against him will be better.  But I think Detroit will have a harder time keeping him off the boards. 

Oh I agree Detroit are going to have huge problems with Orlando. Orlando should be favoured in that series by the way.

I think Sheed will do well though. He's 6-11 to 7-0, he's strong as heck. Shaq hasn't been able to push Rasheed off the post for three years now. Duncan can't push Rasheed off the block, never has been able to. Phyisically he's very strong. He can hold Dwight off the glass better than anyone else rfom the Raps or Celtics. Sheed's an excellent defender that will concentrate solely on limiting him. That will be a great battle.

Orlando will have more than enough to take Detroit though, Sheed will be have to put everything into stopping Dwight. It'll be hard for him to have enough in the tank to be a 17-20ppg scorer on the other end as well. Which will put an even larger burden on their backcourt and as you said Rashard/Hedo cause Detroit all types of problems.

During the regular season Sheed held him to 8 boards twice. The other two Dwight got 13 and 14. Scoring wise he had 16, 22, 23 and 8 points against Wallace.

He'll make Dwight work. I think he's the best option out of either squad. Now he won't stop Dwight, he'll just make it more difficult for Howard.

Also I'd expect Dwight to grab 18-20 rebounds a game for the playoffs. It's the offensive boards and more minutes, it's really going to crank up his numbers on the glass. You just have to limit the other Magic players. Toronto have only been out-rebounded by inch in both of the first two games. Dwight just going to get his, too good to stop.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 10:05:56 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Howard hasn't necessarily improved his play. The numbers are no doubt up, but i think it has more to do with who he's facing. I've been saying for a while, maybe here or maybe not, Toronto doesn't have the Big men to challenge Howard in the paint. It's no surprise he's having a field day with them down low.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 10:19:50 AM by ManUp »

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 10:25:11 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
Actually the name has quite a nice ring to it.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 10:39:33 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I agree that the Magic could and should beat the Pistons, it's all going to come down to defense. Dwight will be ready, hope the rest of his team is as well. I never understood why Detroit was so happy to concede the east in order to not play Cleveland, Orlando is sooo much better than Cleveland. Only problem against Cleveland is when Lebron brings his team of referees.

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 11:11:51 AM »

Offline SquishPCfriar

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
  • It's hammer time
I know this is kinda random, but could you guys imagine Lebron and Dwight Howard somehow ending up on the same team at some point in their career.  That would be one scary duo. 

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 12:07:53 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
No doubt some huge performances by Dwight, but I think he still has A LOT of work to do.  He has mastered his strengths, but I still haven't quite seen much improvement on weaknesses.

If he can learn to pass out of the post like Duncan had to (Duncan was a horrible passer when he first came into the league), extend his offensive game out just a bit, cut down on turnovers, and be just as focused defensively as he is offensively... he could be unstoppable. 

It seems weird that for a kid who said he would go home every day after school and watch KG videos and emulate his game after him, that he really has no evidence of KG's strengths (defense, shooting touch, passing).

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 12:58:26 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
Chris Bosh is soft. That is the only thing I am gaining from the Howard performance.
That jumper he took last night to close the game was pathetic.

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 01:57:24 PM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37

Which is why I think we'll see a lot of Maxiell in that series. Maxiell is young, fresh, quick, and smart enough to at least hassle Lewis, or even Turkoglu, plus is way stronger and a better rebounder. McDyess will get run off the court by Lewis or Turkoglu. Maxiell gives them a much better chance.

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 02:04:31 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Which is why I think we'll see a lot of Maxiell in that series. Maxiell is young, fresh, quick, and smart enough to at least hassle Lewis, or even Turkoglu, plus is way stronger and a better rebounder. McDyess will get run off the court by Lewis or Turkoglu. Maxiell gives them a much better chance.
They should play Amir Johnson a lot in that series. He's quick and good enough to stick with Rashard Lewis and he'll kill Orlando on their backboards, he's an excellent offensive rebounder. Very good finisher around the rim, great in transition. Lots of hustle and energy.

But Flip didn't even play him for a single minute against Phily in game one. So let's peg this one down as unlikely ever to happen.