Author Topic: Patriots 7 round mock draft Enjoy !  (Read 7114 times)

Patriots 7 round mock draft Enjoy !
« on: April 22, 2008, 02:41:57 PM »

Offline DinoRadjaLives

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
         2008 New England Patriots Mock Draft

Round 1

Pick # 7 – Leodis McKelvin – Cornerback, Troy

I know and realize that most mock drafts have the Pats going after hybrid DE/OLB Vernon Gholston from The Ohio State University. While I do agree that value wise Gholston would be the ideal pick, it seems that after OSU’s pro day Gholston has made an ascent in his draft stock. Indications are that St. Louis (2) and the NY Jets (6) both teams ahead of the Pats are interested in the specimen. With Gholston gone, the Pats would most likely pick top rated CB Leodis McKelvin. McKelvin is 5’10 and weighed in at 190lbs at the combine in February. While a bit on the shorter side McKelvin has shown his ability to cover taller WR’s. At the Senior Bowl he did a great job on a pair of big WR’s in Limas Sweed and Malcom Kelly. He has great speed, flexible hips, and can locate the ball quickly.  An issue with McKelvin is that he played his college ball in a smaller D1 school and competed against players in the Sunbelt Conference, not exactly known as the hotbed on NFL talent. Since 2003 12 small school corners have been drafted, of which 6 have been starters (1 Pro Bowler, Antoine Bethea), and 1 has been a consistent Nickel Back. While none of the aforementioned corners have gone as high as 7, also none have the skill set and potential that McKelvin can bring to a DB deprived Patriots. With the defections of Asante Samuels and Randall Gay, the Pats will have to reach a bit to fill the void. Fernando Bryant was signed to start opposite of Ellis Hobbs allowing McKelvin time to play some Nickel and ease into the starting rotation.

Round 2

Pick # 62– Erin Henderson – OLB, Maryland

With an aging linebacking corps the Patriots will look to infuse some young talent. Henderson has the dimensions and skills that work well in the Patriots scheme, at 6’3 245lbs he has the size to play inside (the Jack linebacker) and the speed and range to play outside (the Will linebacker). Henderson could be the 2008 version of Demeco Ryans, essentially a tackling machine at the NFL level; both come from large programs with mediocre results and are both physical freaks. Two major knocks on Henderson are that he already has had a repaired ACL (2005) and shoulder surgery. Even though he is quick for his size, he tends to have some issues in coverage situations, especially with backs in the flats. Overall Henderson would be brought in slowly and groomed to take over Bruschi or start opposite of Vrabel in 09’.

Round 3

Pick # 69 – Chris Johnson – RB, East Carolina

It has become pretty evident that Maroney works his magic when he splits carries. Towards the end of the season we saw what a healthy Maroney can do, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Pats snatch up a compliment to Kool-Aid in the 3rd round. The beauty of Johnson is that he is as versatile as it gets for a skills position player. Johnson spent part of his career at ECU as a Wide Receiver and had great success there with his combination of 4.24 speed and soft hands. Projects to be the perfect replacement for an aging Kevin Faulk.

Pick # 94 – Martellus Bennett – TE, Texas A&M

Belichick loves to draft tight ends, and we actually need one right now. Kyle Brady was cut and that leaves us with just Ben Watson and Dave Thomas (spent season on IR). In the Pats system a FB is seldom used, we favor using the double tight formations. Watson and Thomas are both better pass catching TE’s than the maulers we have had in Graham and in K Brady. Bennett is a punishing blocker with the skill set to be a short range pass catcher. Does not have the speed and hands that the aforementioned pair does, but could develop into a threat after some development. Bennett does have the skills to come in and be the motion TE and available on goal line packages

Round 4

Pick # 129 – Mike McGlynn – G/T, Pittsburgh

Another versatile football player that the Pats love to take a chance on. Played guard and tackle while at Pitt. Has a nasty streak and is a hard blue collar worker. With Stephen Neal being injury prone and Billy Yates and Ryan O’Callaghan being less than stellar in sub roles, McGlynn could earn some time as a reserve with the possibility of taking over for Neal down the road.

Round 5

Pick # 164 – Trae Williams – CB, South Florida

Williams game is very similar to the departed Randall Gay. A perfect nickel/dime guy in the Pats zone system. Known as a hard worker at USF, he has the intangibles to become a role player and contributor for a solid team.

Round 6

Pick # 197 – Quinton Demps – FS, UTEP

Great ball skills and instincts while ball is in the air. Will make team as a special teams ace.

Round 7

Pick # 238 – Mike Dragosavich – P, North Dakota State

Last season we saw very limited amounts of our punter. Dragosavich has a strong leg and could be brought in for a camp battle with Chris Hanson.
"The Boston Celtics are not a basketball team, they are a way of life" - Red Auerbach

Re: Patriots 7 round mock draft Enjoy !
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 02:49:01 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
If the Patriots want McKelvin that bad (which I don't think), they won't reach and draft him at 7.  They'd most likely trade down to mid-round or so (Bengals, Panthers, Saint, perhaps) and pick up an extra pick in the process then grad McKelvin in the teens.

If the Pats do stay at 7 and pick (I have my doubts) I think they'll go with someone in the Gholston, Ellis, C. Long (if he falls) triumverante.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 03:09:43 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
I like Cromartie but not at 7.  If Ryan falls to us then Carolina could trade us 13 and a 3rd round pick or something.

I hope they shock the world and trade UP to get CLong or somebody that the Jets want, like McFadden or Ghoulston.       

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 03:20:59 PM »

Offline DinoRadjaLives

• Derrick White
If the Patriots want McKelvin that bad (which I don't think), they won't reach and draft him at 7.  They'd most likely trade down to mid-round or so (Bengals, Panthers, Saint, perhaps) and pick up an extra pick in the process then grad McKelvin in the teens.

If the Pats do stay at 7 and pick (I have my doubts) I think they'll go with someone in the Gholston, Ellis, C. Long (if he falls) triumverante.

I agree that the Pats will probably get out of the 7 spot, but as far as mocks go I can't really get into trades. I would love to see Gholston or Long fall, but that would be pretty unrealistic. A lot of folks says Ellis, yet I don't see where he would fit in ? He could take over the Mike wright role of 3rd down NT or rush DE, but for that need I would rather get a FA or draft some one in the 3rd or 4th.
"The Boston Celtics are not a basketball team, they are a way of life" - Red Auerbach

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 03:24:49 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton

I agree that the Pats will probably get out of the 7 spot, but as far as mocks go I can't really get into trades. I would love to see Gholston or Long fall, but that would be pretty unrealistic. A lot of folks says Ellis, yet I don't see where he would fit in ? He could take over the Mike wright role of 3rd down NT or rush DE, but for that need I would rather get a FA or draft some one in the 3rd or 4th.

They should switch to a 4-3.  Why not? 

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 03:31:11 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

That's my thought if they go Ellis.  Switch up the defense.  They played a lot of both sets last year although most assume they were a 3-4 defense.  Belichick started off some games in a 4-3 set and if he thinks that Ellis can play more than one gap technique, I wouldn't be surprised by an Ellis pick.  He's always valued a strong front 7 on defense and history shows that Seymour, Warren, and Wilfork were all first rounders while Belichick seems to favor free agents and veterans at the LB spot.  We shouldn't be shocked by another 1st round DL here if it happens.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 03:32:36 PM »

Offline DinoRadjaLives

• Derrick White

Perhaps play more 43 but Bill loves the 34 allows more chaos for an offense/QB to read

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 03:34:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
In Bill Belichick's tenure with the Patriots, he has never drafted a defensive back higher than the third round. His and Pioli's value positioning of all the different positions on a team would never allow for a $40 million unproven DB. There is no way that Mckelvin or any of the other top rated DBs get selected by the Pats.

Besides a trade down and picking up another 1st next year, which is the most likely scenario, look for the Pats to go for a college defensive end they could convert to LB or an offensive lineman like Branden Albert or Ryan Clady to stick over on the right side.

Whenever doing these mock drafts, people should always consider that the Pats philosophy is to spend and build for the line out unless they are paying for a proven star(see Tom brady, Randy Moss) who is almost guaranteed to deliver.

Look for the Pats to go lineman in the first, LB in the second and DB in the third unless someone they had highly rated slips. After that, its basically a crapshoot. Also, always take into consideration the character issue. If there's even a sniff of a character flaw, forget it the Pats won't look.

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 04:09:43 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
chris johnson will likely be gone in the end of the first round...second round at latest.  no chance he is there in the 3rd round.

as mentioned, there is little chance they take leodis at number 7.

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 04:14:59 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
If the Pats want a defensive lineman, they will most likely end up with a good one.  With the Dolphins taking Jake Long #1, that means that one of Chris Long, Ellis, Dorsey, or Gholston is almost certain to be there.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 04:31:54 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
In Bill Belichick's tenure with the Patriots, he has never drafted a defensive back higher than the third round. His and Pioli's value positioning of all the different positions on a team would never allow for a $40 million unproven DB. There is no way that Mckelvin or any of the other top rated DBs get selected by the Pats.

Besides a trade down and picking up another 1st next year, which is the most likely scenario, look for the Pats to go for a college defensive end they could convert to LB or an offensive lineman like Branden Albert or Ryan Clady to stick over on the right side.

Whenever doing these mock drafts, people should always consider that the Pats philosophy is to spend and build for the line out unless they are paying for a proven star(see Tom brady, Randy Moss) who is almost guaranteed to deliver.

Look for the Pats to go lineman in the first, LB in the second and DB in the third unless someone they had highly rated slips. After that, its basically a crapshoot. Also, always take into consideration the character issue. If there's even a sniff of a character flaw, forget it the Pats won't look.

I think you're right, except for meriwheather.  But I think they strictly go by best player rated on their board sans QB.  So it really could be anybody.