Author Topic: KG wins DPY  (Read 15467 times)

Re: KG wins DPY
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 03:34:17 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
I agree with both Big Ticket and Who, despite the fact they are arguing opposing views  :P.  I think that this season KG was able to focus more on purely prevent-the-other-team-from-scoring defense than he has in any other year, but also that he has had more defensive help than he has had any other year.

During much of his tenure in Minny, KG's frontline "help" consisted of guys like Rasho Nesterovic, Michael Olowokandi, Joe Smith, Gary Trent, and Laphonzo Ellis.  Likewise, on the perimeter, for most years he had relatively poor defenders like Wally Szczerbiak, Terrell Brandon, Troy Hudson, and Anthony Peeler as his running mates.  In other words, he had NO legit big man help down low, NO help on the perimeter as most opponents could penetrate at will, and no one that could help him on the glass.  The end result of this was KG doing a lot of 1-on-5 activity that led to some of the poor habits that Who pointed out, but also some of the ridiculous accomplishments that Big Ticket pointed out. 

This is only the second time this decade (2003-04) when KG had a legitimate-sized center with solid defensive abilities next to him as well as perimeter defenders that could prevent most opponents from just driving at will.  Also factor in that this year there were also other teammates that could help out on the glass, and KG no longer HAD to spazz out and try to defend everyone while also challenging every shot and also grabbing every board.  He could afford to focus on his fundamentals and communication, and making sure that opponents scored as infrequently as possible.

I think KG's best seasons on both offense and defense were probably 2002 - 2004, when he was doing ridiculous things with less help than he had this year.  But I would say this season was probably KG's best at leading and delegating and yes, playing intelligently.  Of course, he never really had that option before because there was no one to delegate to, but I think it helps to further show what he is capable of when he has any kind of support with him.

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008, 03:39:17 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I just think a big part of his better "intelligence" this year is due to the comfort of solid defender's around him.
Absolutely. Fully agree with that. It's why it's a bit murky and hard to tell.

But I'm going to roll with achievement, what he achieved defensively this season is better than anything he did on the past. His teammates do come into that in a big way.

Could he have done this with better defensive teammates before? Eh, I'm not so sure. I think he could have done a lot better with better defenders around him. But would that equate to this level of constant dominance, constant effect? I'm not sure he could have done that, even with the added athleticism.

I also think his post defense has gotten a lot better. He handles stronger players better down low than before. I thought a lot of this improvement came while the Wolves started losing, when his athleticism started dropping off and he needed to find ways to make up for it.

I hear where you're coming from, I go the other way though. For me this is his finest defensive season. If I had the option of picking any defensive version/year of KG on my team it would be this season. Offensively I'd go with the more athletic KG of his prime years 2002-04, I think his athleticism mattered more to him offensively.

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2008, 04:37:53 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
This is just a consolation prize for KG, because the voters know they have no intention of voting KG for MVP. :-\

Still say Kobe is not worthy of the award.  He's the best player, but either CP3 or KG is the MVP.

Can you just hear the D-P-Y chants Wednesday night?
Yup

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2008, 05:08:09 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Here is the break down if anybody wants to see it.

Player, Team             1st 2nd 3rd Pts
Kevin Garnett, Boston    90 12  7 493
Marcus Camby,  Denver    12 32 22 178
Shane Battier, Boston    11 33 21 175
Bruce Bowen,   San Ant    7  7 24 80
Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lak    -- 10 10 40
Josh Smith, Atlanta        1 6 11 34
Chris Paul, New Orleans     1 4 7 24
Dwight Howard, Orlando      1 4 7 24
Tim Duncan, San Antonio    -- 6 4 22
Tayshaun Prince, Detroi    -- 3 4 13
Tyson Chandler, New Orle    1 1 2 10
Rasheed Wallace, Detroi    -- 3 -- 9
Richard Hamilton, Detro    -- 1 -- 3
Samuel Dalembert, Phil    -- 1  -- 3
Raja Bell, Phoenix        -- 1 --  3
Rajon Rondo, Boston      --  -- -- 1
Chauncey Billups, Detro    -- -- 1 1
Kyle Lowry, Memphis        -- -- 1 1
Ron Artest, Sacramento     -- -- 1 1
Andrei Kirilenko, Utah     -- -- 1 1

p.s. how do Rondo get a point with no votes?

Rondo got a vote because the ballot goes down to I believe 5th...further than top 3 anyway.  So he got one fifth-place vote.  Would've been nice to see the Captain or Perk get at least a vote or two, they tend to be underrated...

Congrats to the Man though, we knew it was coming but it's great to see him officially get that recognition.  Good luck to Doc in the COY voting, though I think he'll be second to Scott.

And I am just STUNNED that the widely respected support of Scoop Jackson didn't lead to a groundswell of voting for Josh Smith (for those who don't know, ESPN's poll of their "experts" was unanimous for KG, save for good old Scoop; guess he must've just ignored it when Cassell punked Smith into his 5th and 6th fouls in the 4th of the last regular season matchup).

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2008, 05:16:05 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Rondo got a vote because the ballot goes down to I believe 5th...further than top 3 anyway.  So he got one fifth-place vote.  Would've been nice to see the Captain or Perk get at least a vote or two, they tend to be underrated...

Congrats to the Man though, we knew it was coming but it's great to see him officially get that recognition.  Good luck to Doc in the COY voting, though I think he'll be second to Scott.

And I am just STUNNED that the widely respected support of Scoop Jackson didn't lead to a groundswell of voting for Josh Smith (for those who don't know, ESPN's poll of their "experts" was unanimous for KG, save for good old Scoop; guess he must've just ignored it when Cassell punked Smith into his 5th and 6th fouls in the 4th of the last regular season matchup).
When did Battier go to the Celtics?

I'm kind of surprised no one threw Pierce a bone with a 5th pick or something.  He's received so much credit for his improved D this year.
Yup

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2008, 05:42:06 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Wow I'm just looking through the list.

How is Tim Duncan 9th? That is unbelievable. Marcus Camby 12 first place votes and Duncan gets 0 ....

Who voted for Kyle Lowry? And who thought Rip Hamliton was the second best defender in the league? And why did Andrei Kirilenko get a vote?

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2008, 05:51:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Here's two guarantees:

1.) Garnett couldn't care even in the slightest whether he got this award or not.

2.) When finally asked about the award he will say it is an award that should go to the entire team because he couldn't do it all by himself. Rondo, Pierce, Allen and Perk will all get mentions, I'm sure.

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2008, 06:08:50 PM »

Offline The Big 3

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
one more question - if the award wasn't a Kia CRAPPY...and it was a pimped up Corvette will KG donate it to his charity?
It's our job (fans) to point out what is wrong with the team, it's the coach's job NOT to listen to us.

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2008, 06:32:02 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
one more question - if the award wasn't a Kia CRAPPY...and it was a pimped up Corvette will KG donate it to his charity?

I'm sure he would choose to donate an equal value in cash to his charity and keep the memories attached to the Corvette...

Sentimental value and all that!

Shouts of: "D-P-Y...D-P-Y..."  8)
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2008, 06:51:45 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Camby gets votes due to his name ala Ben Wallace who won it in 2002 and then got exposed at the Worlds that year (on back door cuts no less).

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2008, 07:05:01 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Actually I don't think this is correct.  MVP ballot goes 5 deep, but DPY only goes 3 deep (I think).  As with Battier on the Celtics I think that's just a typo. Just take a look at the math, it appears a first place vote is worth 5 points, a second place vote is worth 3, and a third place vote is worth 1.  Also if the votes went down deeper than 3, we'd see many other players on the list with points who would have only gotten a fourth or fifth place vote.  It's just a typo, Rondo must have gotten a 3rd place vote, or the list is just inaccurate.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2008, 07:45:14 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.

I always find it ironic when a player wins a car.  The rich get richer.  And yes, I'm sure he'd still have donated it, he's been one of the most philanthropic athletes over the past several years, and I'm pretty sure he has several cars already.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2008, 12:58:18 PM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37
What a joke this voting is. Really, do the voters even watch the games? Kobe and Paul ahead of Howard, Duncan, Prince, and Wallace? Ridiculous. Duncan gets ninth place? It's hard to even take this seriously.