Author Topic: Jed Lowrie  (Read 9381 times)

Jed Lowrie
« on: April 21, 2008, 10:25:25 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
When Alex Cora comes off the DL, should Lowrie still have a big league job?    Basically my feeling is that we have almost no right handed bats on the bench if Crisp is starting.  Even when Ellsbury is starting, Crisp bats better from the left.  You can't count Cash because you're not going to pinch hit Cash because A)he's an awful hitter and B) he's a catcher.  What do you guys think?  I know he's young, but it is nice to have a right handed hitter on the bench.
do it

Re: Jed Lowrie
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 10:28:14 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
When Alex Cora comes off the DL, should Lowrie still have a big league job?    Basically my feeling is that we have almost no right handed bats on the bench if Crisp is starting.  Even when Ellsbury is starting, Crisp bats better from the left.  You can't count Cash because you're not going to pinch hit Cash because A)he's an awful hitter and B) he's a catcher.  What do you guys think?  I know he's young, but it is nice to have a right handed hitter on the bench.
Thurston will be first to go back down, but I hear what you're saying.  Howz about Lugo as a RH bat off the bench and keep Lowrie out there?
Yup

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 10:31:18 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Thurston will be first to go back down, but I hear what you're saying.  Howz about Lugo as a RH bat off the bench and keep Lowrie out there?

Well put, Redz ... TP, (and one for MBz for a good question/topic). I personally love this kid, and would like to keep him around .... but he still needs a bit of time to "temper his steel" before we rely on him in a big way.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 10:32:21 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
Yeah I'm assuming Thurston goes down once Lowell returns from the DL.  I also would not mind Lowrie being the full time shortstop with Lugo on the bench.
do it

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 10:44:45 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Yeah I'm assuming Thurston goes down once Lowell returns from the DL.  I also would not mind Lowrie being the full time shortstop with Lugo on the bench.

I would love to see that as well, but I wouldnt count on it.  Chances are once Lowell is back, Lowrie will go back to Pawtucket, so he can play every day.

Right now Lowrie is not THAT good that they would just sit a $9 million a year player. 

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 10:48:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I would love to see that as well, but I wouldnt count on it.  Chances are once Lowell is back, Lowrie will go back to Pawtucket, so he can play every day.

Right now Lowrie is not THAT good that they would just sit a $9 million a year player. 
No, it's not Terry's way really either.  Not going to happen, but sure would be nice to see yet another young system guy start producing every day.  Lowell & Lugo will get the starts when Lowell returns.  Lowrie goes back (and hopefully doesn't get traded for AJ Burnett type at the trading deadline).
Yup

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 10:54:56 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Lowrie is still a pretty poor ss.  His most likely position in the bigs is going to be 2b.

He will likely follow the jacoby line, meaning he will go back to the minors for almost the entire season until the rosters expand and he will then be called back up.  barring a crazy gm trading for lugo, or an longer term injury, the only time Lowrie will be getting time in the bigs is next year (In fact, I would say there is a greater chance he is playing everyday for some other big league time then the redsox this year)

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 10:56:36 PM »

Offline USG

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 161
I would love to see Lowrie out there full time instead of the anti-clutch GIDP king. But alas, the Sox see Lugo's $9mm contract and can't see fit to bench him. Until Lowrie proves he needs it though, I don't see the point in sending him to the minors. He hits well, and hits in situations where there's need for a hit (see: clutch). He's been a rally starter this whole Texas series, has showed good fielding skills and composure, and his plate discipline is better than the numbers suggest. He has 6 strikeouts in 16 AB, which is certainly not great. But 3 of those are BAD strike calls. Three in a row, in fact, and the only reason Lowrie isn't getting what should be ball 3s and 4s is because he's had 16 major league at bats.

In short: Keep Lowrie. He's better than Lugo already, and has plenty of upside.

Personally, I think we need to get rid of Coco (I hate seeing him in there instead of Ellsbury), send Thurston back down to the minors to work on his batting, and keep Lowry, and Lowell. The final slot should be used for someone like Kielty maybe, who isn't really gonna benefit from time in the minors and doesn't expect to play every day, but doesn't carry trade value like Coco, and can work as an outfielder if he's needed. God knows the guy has been patient with the Sox and their Coco situation.

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 11:08:51 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
I personally have no issue with Coco.  His glove is amazing and he's hitting the ball.  Hopefully this injury doesn't stop his bat, but we shall see.
do it

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 01:47:04 PM »

Offline Nerf MVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Lowrie is still a pretty poor ss.  His most likely position in the bigs is going to be 2b.

Agreed. I think that if Lowrie were playing ss full time it wouldn't be long before he started to show his true colors as a huge liability in the field.  Once everyone gets healthy I'd prefer to see him taking his lumps back at Pawtucket and hopefully improve to at least being an adequate ss defensively. If he can't, then Lugo won't be the one blocking him.

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 01:50:38 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I personally have no issue with Coco.  His glove is amazing and he's hitting the ball.  Hopefully this injury doesn't stop his bat, but we shall see.

The problem with Coco is that he is not as valuable to this team as Ellsbury (who has been an excellent leadoff hitter so far this year), and he does not want to be a 4th outfielder (which he would be perfect as).