Author Topic: Scalabrine?  (Read 13660 times)

Re: Scalabrine?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 01:25:13 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Just be thankful that he has been a good teammate and hasn't caused a disruption to the team when his role and playing time on this team diminished the way they did. I would say the great majority of players in the league would've been a quite negative presence in the locker room.

I don't mind Scal, and he seems like a good teammate, but I don't think he in any way deserves kudos for accepting his role, when he clearly is less talented than every player on the team that is getting time ahead of him.

You don't think Scal doing his job deserves kudos? As I mentioned, many others wouldn't have kept their mouths shut.  The league is littered with 10th-15th men getting big minutes here and there, and I'm sure many of them would cause a ruckus when their roles and minutes is dimished. I think there's something to say about a guy that goes about his job. Many sportsmen have forgotten about doing their job, and act as if they were owed or entitled something.

Giricek this year quickly comes to mind.  What about Zach Randolph and complaining because his coming off the bench, but still playing big minutes? What about Ben Wallace, one of the most inept offensive players in the league complaining about not being more involved in the offense? Tyrus Thomas? Chris Duhon?

There are just a decent amount of players causing trouble over nothing, and the reality of the NBA is that sometimes players that simply do their jobs as expected need to be applauded for doing so.  We can't take their doing their job as expected for granted anymore in my opinion.

To echo what Brendan said, all of the players mentioned are better than Scal.  I don't condone them complaining, but at least in some cases their gripes might be legitimate.

What basis does Scal have to complain?  I mean, what would his argument be?  Play me because ____________?  Why?  He's not nearly as talented as his teammates, relative to NBA standards.  He's not more productive.  His particular skill set isn't unique or irreplaceable.    He plays good defense -- especially help defense -- but he's atrocious offensively, and is a poor rebounder.  I've defended Scal plenty in the past, but the idea of him causing a stink because he isn't getting playing time is just ludicrous to me.  He gets well-compensated to sit on the bench behind his more talented teammates.  He's basically a poor man's M.L. Carr, in terms of role.  There's nothing wrong with that, but I don't believe Scal needs any special recognition for doing what he should be doing.
Did Scal actually complain about PT or are we just speculating why he was missing Sunday?
Yup

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 01:47:16 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Did Scal actually complain about PT or are we just speculating why he was missing Sunday?

No, I think we're both conceding that Scal has never complained about his time.  We're just having a mini-debate about whether Scal deserves credit for that.  To me, a player should just shut up and play (as Scal has done).  It is in no way exemplary to me for a player to not complain, when he is clearly one of the least talented / productive players on the team.  I simply can't imagine a player of Scal's caliber and salary griping about not getting minutes, so the fact that he *isn't* doing so isn't that surprising to me.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 04:43:17 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Just be thankful that he has been a good teammate and hasn't caused a disruption to the team when his role and playing time on this team diminished the way they did. I would say the great majority of players in the league would've been a quite negative presence in the locker room.

I don't mind Scal, and he seems like a good teammate, but I don't think he in any way deserves kudos for accepting his role, when he clearly is less talented than every player on the team that is getting time ahead of him.

You don't think Scal doing his job deserves kudos? As I mentioned, many others wouldn't have kept their mouths shut.  The league is littered with 10th-15th men getting big minutes here and there, and I'm sure many of them would cause a ruckus when their roles and minutes is dimished. I think there's something to say about a guy that goes about his job. Many sportsmen have forgotten about doing their job, and act as if they were owed or entitled something.

Giricek this year quickly comes to mind.  What about Zach Randolph and complaining because his coming off the bench, but still playing big minutes? What about Ben Wallace, one of the most inept offensive players in the league complaining about not being more involved in the offense? Tyrus Thomas? Chris Duhon?

There are just a decent amount of players causing trouble over nothing, and the reality of the NBA is that sometimes players that simply do their jobs as expected need to be applauded for doing so.  We can't take their doing their job as expected for granted anymore in my opinion.

To echo what Brendan said, all of the players mentioned are better than Scal.  I don't condone them complaining, but at least in some cases their gripes might be legitimate.

What basis does Scal have to complain?  I mean, what would his argument be?  Play me because ____________?  Why?  He's not nearly as talented as his teammates, relative to NBA standards.  He's not more productive.  His particular skill set isn't unique or irreplaceable.    He plays good defense -- especially help defense -- but he's atrocious offensively, and is a poor rebounder.  I've defended Scal plenty in the past, but the idea of him causing a stink because he isn't getting playing time is just ludicrous to me.  He gets well-compensated to sit on the bench behind his more talented teammates.  He's basically a poor man's M.L. Carr, in terms of role.  There's nothing wrong with that, but I don't believe Scal needs any special recognition for doing what he should be doing.

Well, it's not that he deserves special treatment or anything... I was simply pointing out that we're lucky that he didn't make a big deal out of it when many around the league would have.  It doesn't matter if they'd have a valid arguement or not, the simple fact that people want to play regardless of the conditions is what is important. 

Feelings get hurt, self-esteems get hurt, and egos arise.  Many others in Scal's position would've caused some locker room trouble, and that's all I'm saying... that I'm glad that Scal was a good little trooper and kept his mouth shut in a situation were many wouldn't have. 

Regardless of what some people around here think, Scal can still play in this league, and I'm sure he could've had a decent productive role in countless teams around the league, sadly there's no room for Scal here, and the simple matter of him not being able to get on the floor when he's capable of and healthy to do so might've caused someone else to lash out at people.  That's all I'm saying.  I'm not saying go to the guy and give him some award or something, but we have to recognize at the least that he didn't cause trouble in a position where many others would have.

But whatever, this is a crappy thing to discuss.  I'll just say that if he would've been one of those who complained people around here would have made it a big deal. So to me, that he didn't do it showed character and I recognize it.

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 04:58:28 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
But whatever, this is a crappy thing to discuss.  I'll just say that if he would've been one of those who complained people around here would have made it a big deal. So to me, that he didn't do it showed character and I recognize it.
Point made. Nobody likes being fed a poop sandwich for lunch.  Scal has handled it well, but I think he's man enough to know his own limitations and his place within this teams quest for a championship.  He has handled  it well, but he also would have sounded like a complete whack job if he started whining for minutes given the talent level on this team.  He's smart enough to realize that.

Plus, I'm sure the bank is still cashing those paychecks he's receiving.

All that said, WHERE WAS HE SUNDAY?
Yup

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 08:12:30 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
gasp!!!!!!!!!!!  maybe THIS is what KG and Ray were debating about.

(the great mystery of the other forum has been solved.)

whew!  now i can sleep easier tonight...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 08:20:01 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Scal is irrelevant. 8)
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 08:30:19 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
gasp!!!!!!!!!!!  maybe THIS is what KG and Ray were debating about.

(the great mystery of the other forum has been solved.)

whew!  now i can sleep easier tonight...

Or maybe they were discussing the pros and cons of having Sam in the team, and how his selfish game is killing the Celtics.  Guess we'll never know.

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 08:43:04 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
wrong forum...you're drinking too much.  :)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 12:25:54 PM »

Offline dirtyeggs

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
Scal does deserve credit.  He has been constantly ridiculed - hey who wouldn't have signed their name on the dotted line for $15mill - but he doesn't complain and he is always the first one off the bench to congratulate others.

You may question his talent but he gives his all out there.

Someone else that had no right to gripe comes to mind - he wore a Scooby Doo shirt and Lakers gear to a game.  So whether or not you openly complain you can be disruptive and Scal appears to have been nothing but supportive to his teammates.

And he is a CELTIC

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 01:06:12 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
If we start rewarding players vocally with kudos for acting professional like they should be anyway we just worsen the problem. A player should just be lambasted for NOT acting right. Not lauded for it. If you are doing a writeup as to pros and cons of a player then that can be a bullet point, but not a reason to love him. It's just like my kids. If I expect them to behave in a certain way as a minimum, then they do that or better. If I am thrilled that they didn't go crazy then I really have low expectations of them and they will act accordingly.

That being said, I like Scal and think if he were given the minutes he would earn his paycheck. He isn't breaking the bank and is a good defender, a team player on offense moving and setting picks, and he hustles out there. He has some size and can knock down the open three if he is playing enough to get in a rythm. He is a great team player and with this team is just too far down the bench to contribute much.

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 01:49:45 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If we start rewarding players vocally with kudos for acting professional like they should be anyway we just worsen the problem. A player should just be lambasted for NOT acting right. Not lauded for it. If you are doing a writeup as to pros and cons of a player then that can be a bullet point, but not a reason to love him. It's just like my kids. If I expect them to behave in a certain way as a minimum, then they do that or better. If I am thrilled that they didn't go crazy then I really have low expectations of them and they will act accordingly.

That being said, I like Scal and think if he were given the minutes he would earn his paycheck. He isn't breaking the bank and is a good defender, a team player on offense moving and setting picks, and he hustles out there. He has some size and can knock down the open three if he is playing enough to get in a rythm. He is a great team player and with this team is just too far down the bench to contribute much.

I agree with this completely.  Although I don't think he deserves PT on this team, I have no problem with him stepping in there if someone is injured.  He is the perfect 12th-13th man, because he does not hurt you off the court (and in fact is supposedly like an extra coach out there), but he also can step right in if needed, and not take too much off the table.

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 01:57:19 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
I find it very interesting how (for the most part) we have not embraced Scal (I 100% include myself in this).

Scal from everything I have read is a great teammate, positive, plays a good role in the community and has all the elements of a positive role model.  Usually when teams have a player like this, they become mini-cult heroes (Marty Conlon) and "Human Victory Cigars" (Chuck Nevitt) but not Scal.

I think Scal was a victim of all of us wanting to see the rookies develop and we saw him standing in their way.

Interesting.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 02:29:17 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
On another thread, someone compared Scalabrine to Ryan Bowen. I found it to be a very fair comparison of skills. The only problem is that Bowen makes $1,033,930 compared to Scalabrine's $3,000,000 salary that last 2 more years.

So I guess what I am saying is if Scalabine made Ryan Bowen money no-one would care.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 03:21:44 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
maybe he heard that pizza hut now serves pasta and he gave into his temptation?!?!

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2008, 03:34:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
On another thread, someone compared Scalabrine to Ryan Bowen. I found it to be a very fair comparison of skills. The only problem is that Bowen makes $1,033,930 compared to Scalabrine's $3,000,000 salary that last 2 more years.

So I guess what I am saying is if Scalabine made Ryan Bowen money no-one would care.

Absolutely.  But the one people should have problem with is Ainge, who gave him more than market value.  Scal is doing everything that is asked of him.  He doesn't deserve praise, but he also doesn't deserve the venom that he gets either.