Author Topic: Scalabrine?  (Read 13658 times)

Scalabrine?
« on: April 21, 2008, 10:03:56 PM »

Offline L Supreme

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Not saying this is a bad things, but where was Scals? He wasn't suited up or in street clothes at the game. Anyone have any info?

Re: Scalabrine?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 10:17:25 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Maybe he was insulted when informed he'd need to buy a ticket if he wanted to see the game.

No. I was looking all over for Scals to no avail.  Really surprised he wasn't there. No clue what the deal was.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 10:21:24 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
maybe .... the guys at the gate didn't believe he played for the celts, spent hours arguing with them when he showed up in an 89 Corolla...

either that or he got stuck working concessions, gotta earn that paycheck
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 12:38:25 AM »

Offline Greeny

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
  • LETS DO IT AGAIN!
I noticed that at the game yesterday too.
No one knew where he was.

He is usually riding his stationary bike.

Pollard was there...

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 02:47:04 AM »

Offline Galiza Ceive

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
In a audition with the Globetrotters?

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 03:17:24 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Do we really care if he's on the bench or not, or his reasons for not being there? I think it's kinda sad for him the way he can't play basketball with the Celtics.  He certainly has some skill and veteran knowledge to play meaningful minutes and make good contributions in many other teams around the league in my opinion.  Just be thankful that he has been a good teammate and hasn't caused a disruption to the team when his role and playing time on this team diminished the way they did. I would say the great majority of players in the league would've been a quite negative presence in the locker room.

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 05:06:02 AM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
instead of clowin him jus say.."i dont know"...instead of usin repeated jokes from other threads..iasked the same question in the game 1 atl vs bos thread which im sure inspired this thread..

where was salabrine...he wasnt on the bench..?..

u always see him givin pounds to his team when doc calls a time out..

i know he wouldnt get minute but i found it funny for him not to be on the bench in warm ups or street..

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 06:59:00 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Just be thankful that he has been a good teammate and hasn't caused a disruption to the team when his role and playing time on this team diminished the way they did. I would say the great majority of players in the league would've been a quite negative presence in the locker room.

Scal's talent is that of a 10th - 15th man.  Players like that shouldn't expect to get consistent playing time, so I don't think Scal deserves a great deal of credit for not causing a stir in the locker room.  If he was contributing positively on a consistent basis, maybe.  However, he just hasn't been very productive in Boston during his stint here, both offensively and on the boards.  He plays good defense against some power forwards, but that's about it.

I don't mind Scal, and he seems like a good teammate, but I don't think he in any way deserves kudos for accepting his role, when he clearly is less talented than every player on the team that is getting time ahead of him.

As for Scal's presence on the bench, I have no idea.  I know he, Pruitt, and Pollard were the inactive guys on our roster, but I'm not sure why he was or wasn't in street clothes near the bench.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 08:54:56 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Maybe he was insulted when informed he'd need to buy a ticket if he wanted to see the game.

No. I was looking all over for Scals to no avail.  Really surprised he wasn't there. No clue what the deal was.

Complete speculation, and it doesn't necessarily hold up since Pollard was on the bench...but perhaps they took away some of the bench seats (I did notice they seemed to add several extra courtside seats that aren't ussually there) in order to sell some more of the incredibly expensive courtside seats, and it forced some of the guys who weren't dressed to sit somewhere else, like in one of the boxes (like they often do in hockey games). 

I don't think I even believe this theory, but who knows?

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 09:31:17 AM »

Offline Yakmanev

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 29
The only thing that bothers me in regard to Scalabrine is the way he's been treated.

He's a Celtic but he gets talked about as if he were a Laker.

I remember a game where he went down and received a concussion. He was down for a bit and when he rose the camera panned the audience and only a very few people bothered to stand and cheer their own player coming to his feet. And this was in Boston. The overall applause itself was faint.

Everyone knows why Scalabrine isn't taking minutes away from the front line players and why he is where he is in the rotation. However, He is a Celtic and we should treat him like one.
There are allot worse players/attitudes/personalities that could be here besides Scal.

I realize that no one was just outright bashing Scal this time around but I can't help it I like defending Scal.

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 10:59:14 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I agree Scal is usually mistreated, but before everyone starts feeling too bad for Scal, let's not forget that Danny signed him to a 15 million dollar contract.

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 11:09:11 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Just be thankful that he has been a good teammate and hasn't caused a disruption to the team when his role and playing time on this team diminished the way they did. I would say the great majority of players in the league would've been a quite negative presence in the locker room.

I don't mind Scal, and he seems like a good teammate, but I don't think he in any way deserves kudos for accepting his role, when he clearly is less talented than every player on the team that is getting time ahead of him.

You don't think Scal doing his job deserves kudos? As I mentioned, many others wouldn't have kept their mouths shut.  The league is littered with 10th-15th men getting big minutes here and there, and I'm sure many of them would cause a ruckus when their roles and minutes is dimished. I think there's something to say about a guy that goes about his job. Many sportsmen have forgotten about doing their job, and act as if they were owed or entitled something.

Giricek this year quickly comes to mind.  What about Zach Randolph and complaining because his coming off the bench, but still playing big minutes? What about Ben Wallace, one of the most inept offensive players in the league complaining about not being more involved in the offense? Tyrus Thomas? Chris Duhon?

There are just a decent amount of players causing trouble over nothing, and the reality of the NBA is that sometimes players that simply do their jobs as expected need to be applauded for doing so.  We can't take their doing their job as expected for granted anymore in my opinion.

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 12:04:12 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
You don't think Scal doing his job deserves kudos? As I mentioned, many others wouldn't have kept their mouths shut.  The league is littered with 10th-15th men getting big minutes here and there, and I'm sure many of them would cause a ruckus when their roles and minutes is dimished. I think there's something to say about a guy that goes about his job. Many sportsmen have forgotten about doing their job, and act as if they were owed or entitled something.

Giricek this year quickly comes to mind.  What about Zach Randolph and complaining because his coming off the bench, but still playing big minutes? What about Ben Wallace, one of the most inept offensive players in the league complaining about not being more involved in the offense? Tyrus Thomas? Chris Duhon?

There are just a decent amount of players causing trouble over nothing, and the reality of the NBA is that sometimes players that simply do their jobs as expected need to be applauded for doing so.  We can't take their doing their job as expected for granted anymore in my opinion.
As an alternative the Celtics could have just released him and there would have been no impact. All the guys you mention might have bad attitudes, but they also are decent NBA players (well not Ben Wallace anymore). Scal is really bad and got a $15 million deal. So no I don't think he deserves any special recognition.

At this point the ONLY value Scal has to the team is in a potential trade or as someone to put on the floor so the good players don't get injured, or use in practice when one of the top guys can't scrimage. He has a negative marginal value if used in a game situation that matters instead of one of the 13 players on the team that are better than him.

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 12:55:14 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

You don't think Scal doing his job deserves kudos? As I mentioned, many others wouldn't have kept their mouths shut.  The league is littered with 10th-15th men getting big minutes here and there, and I'm sure many of them would cause a ruckus when their roles and minutes is dimished. I think there's something to say about a guy that goes about his job. Many sportsmen have forgotten about doing their job, and act as if they were owed or entitled something.

Giricek this year quickly comes to mind.  What about Zach Randolph and complaining because his coming off the bench, but still playing big minutes? What about Ben Wallace, one of the most inept offensive players in the league complaining about not being more involved in the offense? Tyrus Thomas? Chris Duhon?

There are just a decent amount of players causing trouble over nothing, and the reality of the NBA is that sometimes players that simply do their jobs as expected need to be applauded for doing so.  We can't take their doing their job as expected for granted anymore in my opinion.

To echo what Brendan said, all of the players mentioned are better than Scal.  I don't condone them complaining, but at least in some cases their gripes might be legitimate.

What basis does Scal have to complain?  I mean, what would his argument be?  Play me because ____________?  Why?  He's not nearly as talented as his teammates, relative to NBA standards.  He's not more productive.  His particular skill set isn't unique or irreplaceable.    He plays good defense -- especially help defense -- but he's atrocious offensively, and is a poor rebounder.  I've defended Scal plenty in the past, but the idea of him causing a stink because he isn't getting playing time is just ludicrous to me.  He gets well-compensated to sit on the bench behind his more talented teammates.  He's basically a poor man's M.L. Carr, in terms of role.  There's nothing wrong with that, but I don't believe Scal needs any special recognition for doing what he should be doing.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 01:16:27 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Was he perhaps in the stands, riding a stationary bike?!? (the "good luck" charm that's been used in the past)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *