Author Topic: Now starts the worst part of the NBA playoffs, the waiting.  (Read 9112 times)

Now starts the worst part of the NBA playoffs, the waiting.
« on: April 21, 2008, 01:56:51 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I really hate how long the time is between games in the playoffs.  How long do we have to wait to see game two of an exciting game one?

Through the first 4 games, it isn't that bad.  But when teams start closing series, the wait kills the playoffs momentum. 

Re: Now starts the worst part of the NBA playoffs, the waiting.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 02:00:26 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
The gaps - especially in round 1 - are pretty awful and inconsistent.

Yup

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 02:04:08 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I really hate how long the time is between games in the playoffs.  How long do we have to wait to see game two of an exciting game one?

Through the first 4 games, it isn't that bad.  But when teams start closing series, the wait kills the playoffs momentum. 

Yeah, and this is my biggest worry about these playoffs with the C's.  If they sweep the Hawks, they will likely be a little rusty by the time the next round starts.  And if they are playing a team that just came off a big victory in 6 or 7 games, the C's are going to have to really work to get the momentum going their way.

As far as being a fan...well, it just sucks, because I am impatient.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 02:08:19 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Yeah, and this is my biggest worry about these playoffs with the C's.  If they sweep the Hawks, they will likely be a little rusty by the time the next round starts.  And if they are playing a team that just came off a big victory in 6 or 7 games, the C's are going to have to really work to get the momentum going their way.

As far as being a fan...well, it just sucks, because I am impatient.

I have been concerned about that as well.  Celtics have had a few flat games after long waits. 

But that is what the top teams have to do in the playoffs.  Get ready after a long wait.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 02:22:37 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Seriously, I really don't like the 7 game series that drag for 2 weeks. The first round was so much more fun when it was best of 5, and the games were every other day. TNT and TBS ran games at the same time, and you could flip between them. It was like the opening weekend of the NCAA tourney.

I think the C's will be fine though. Everyone is at the mercy of the same scheduling system.

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 02:26:29 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Seriously, I really don't like the 7 game series that drag for 2 weeks. The first round was so much more fun when it was best of 5, and the games were every other day. TNT and TBS ran games at the same time, and you could flip between them. It was like the opening weekend of the NCAA tourney.

I think the C's will be fine though. Everyone is at the mercy of the same scheduling system.

Not the game to game schedules. 

The belief that Celtics finish in 4 (monday) and the Wiz/Cavs going 7 (the following Sunday).

Throw in 1 or 2 days between series, the Celtics are sitting for an entire week.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 02:30:11 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
The gaps - especially in round 1 - are pretty awful and inconsistent.

Where'd you get the picture of Big Baby's family?  Just kidding Glen.

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 02:38:47 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Not the game to game schedules. 

The belief that Celtics finish in 4 (monday) and the Wiz/Cavs going 7 (the following Sunday).

Throw in 1 or 2 days between series, the Celtics are sitting for an entire week.

Exactly, and although there is the counter argument that the C's will be more rested than the team who just played a grueling 7 game series, the 2 days in between each game does do a lot to minimize the benefit of that.

I am not really concerned about this, because I still think the C's will roll pretty easily in the second round, but that is the type of thing that can lead to a team stealing a game.

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 03:35:19 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
To be honest with you,which i usually am,i think waiting till Wednesday is to long for the second game.I would have like it to  be Tuesday night.When they swtich to the other city to play games ,i can see waiting an extra day or so,but the first round should go a little quicker,IMO. ;D

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 03:56:58 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Let's be real, there is one round to many in the NBA playoffs, and then to stretch a seven game series out over 2 weeks is just ridiculous. Unfortunately there is too much money in it, the seven, game first round series is here to stay and it will be long. The NBA should take a lesson from baseball, play less, more often and the series actually has a "feel" to it, so many of these seven game series, especially the first ones, are so long you almost forget what's happened in them, making it difficult to really get into the series.

As for the Celtics, the momentum loss could be an issue, but the C's seemed to have ramped up their intensity even more for the playoffs, having homecourt throughout and a LOUD crowd will definitely help.

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 03:59:25 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Let's be real, there is one round to many in the NBA playoffs, and then to stretch a seven game series out over 2 weeks is just ridiculous. Unfortunately there is too much money in it, the seven, game first round series is here to stay and it will be long. The NBA should take a lesson from baseball, play less, more often and the series actually has a "feel" to it, so many of these seven game series, especially the first ones, are so long you almost forget what's happened in them, making it difficult to really get into the series.

As for the Celtics, the momentum loss could be an issue, but the C's seemed to have ramped up their intensity even more for the playoffs, having homecourt throughout and a LOUD crowd will definitely help.

The Celtics just have to be ready when the next round start.  The layoff is tough, but it can not be an excuse. 

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 04:50:50 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!

The Celtics just have to be ready when the next round start.  The layoff is tough, but it can not be an excuse. 

Of course, but they're not robots, a potential Washington Wizards team, coming off a seven game victory over the Cavaliers, will be significantly pumped up. I don't think the Celtics will back down to anyone or not get up for a game, but another team with momentum challenging a better team in the playoffs is far from unheard of.

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 05:15:34 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
The long delay between games is another reason why having home court is such a plus.  Without a doubt it's the worst part of the playoff system.

I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 05:25:48 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Yes! I completely agree.  I think it was up until 2000 that TNT and TBS aired doubleheaders opposite each other each night of the first round of the playoffs, with one station having games at 7:00 and 9:30. and the other station having games at 8:00 and 10:30 (East Coast time).  It was great switching back and forth between different games, there was just so much good basketball on at once, definitely like the NBA's version of March Madness.  I miss those times.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 06:45:48 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
As much as it sucks for all us spectators, our team consisiting of mostly 30+ yr old players are probably going to benefit from the extra rest.

Especially if they get to the Finals and play a weary Western Conf. champ.