Author Topic: Playoff games. 4/20  (Read 18618 times)

Re: Playoff games. 4/20
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 05:02:27 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Big dunk, Pau.  It may just be time for Denver to pack it in for the day....

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 05:03:38 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Gasol's just loving it in L.A. ... I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he names a child (or two) after Kobe!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 05:18:43 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

-sw

They certainly are beginning to fold their clothes, SW ... and they better make a move soon ... on both ends!

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 05:21:31 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • My alter ego

-sw

They certainly are beginning to fold their clothes, SW ... and they better make a move soon ... on both ends!

Fold their clothes...I like it  ;)

As you mentioned earlier, I'm enjoying the chippy start to this series...always ups the entertainment value a bit.

-sw

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 05:46:11 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • My alter ego

-sw

All the talk in our "Around the NBA" section all year about how this Denver team doesn't have it together mentally?  It's starting to show once more (AI gone)...

-sw

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 06:03:33 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Pistons - 76ers up next, should be a good one...

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 06:04:06 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

-sw

All the talk in our "Around the NBA" section all year about how this Denver team doesn't have it together mentally?  It's starting to show once more (AI gone)...

-sw

Yup ... they certainly seemed "out-of-sync" in this one. Kobe was baiting K-Mart big-time, and AI let the whole thing get the best of him ... a bit out of character for him, at least in this type of game. He's shown a lot more maturity of late, at least I've thought so. I'm sure the 'Melo stuff has had it's effect, as well ... a shame a player of his ability can't reserve his bad habits for the off-season, at least.

I think he let a lot of good people down ... not the least of which was this team. I know there are many here who disagree, but I love to watch AI, and he's been one of my favorite "non-Celtics" since very early in his career. I personally have always hoped good things for him, and he seems to always come up short. It's a shame he's got to carry this yoke for 'Melo ... he deserves better.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 06:22:45 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Thaddeus Young is off to a good start

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 06:30:41 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • My alter ego

-sw

-sw

Yup ... they certainly seemed "out-of-sync" in this one. Kobe was baiting K-Mart big-time, and AI let the whole thing get the best of him ... a bit out of character for him, at least in this type of game. He's shown a lot more maturity of late, at least I've thought so. I'm sure the 'Melo stuff has had it's effect, as well ... a shame a player of his ability can't reserve his bad habits for the off-season, at least.

I think he let a lot of good people down ... not the least of which was this team. I know there are many here who disagree, but I love to watch AI, and he's been one of my favorite "non-Celtics" since very early in his career. I personally have always hoped good things for him, and he seems to always come up short. It's a shame he's got to carry this yoke for 'Melo ... he deserves better.

Bahku, you touch on an interesting point here.  I've gone through an interesting odyssey with AI myself -- I was definitely on the "detractor" end of the spectrum with him early in his career, but I've gained a lot more respect for him over the years.  For all his flaws and past mistakes -- and there have been many -- I'm a believer that this guy has done a better job than most of growing up in a lot of ways, and for all his on-court selfishness over the years, it's nearly impossible not to appreciate the beating this guy has taken on a night-in, night-out basis over his career.  His durability, his toughness, his ability as a scorer...there's a lot to be admired there.  That said, I'm not claiming he has turned into some sort of a saint, and I'm not excusing some of the past issues (the "practice" spiel, the gunplay, the rapping fiasco), but I've come to see him in a much better light than I once did.

Ultimately, I think he's one of the best examples for us observers that it's important to remember the grey area in life -- not everything is absolutes.  Not everyone is a hero or a villain -- in fact, almost everyone isn't definitively one of those things.  That's because they -- and we -- are all human.  AI has done some pretty reprehensible stuff, and he has also done much that is quite respectable as well.  Sometimes -- most of the time, in fact -- many of us (self certainly included) could do a better job of accepting that we can't simply cast these guys into one of the two 'extreme' molds but that we'd be far better off accepting that there are ups and downs to every one of us to ever walk the planet.  That isn't to say that you won't hear me unilaterally slam or praise many other athletes in the future (it's something I'm still working on), but the grey area is something that AI in particular has helped me appreciate.

Sorry for the mini-discourse, but thanks for giving me the forum for it, Bahku.

-sw

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 06:54:05 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Is Philadelphia dumb or something? They've been on the bonus since the 9 minute mark or so and they stopped being aggressive.

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2008, 07:05:14 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Is Philadelphia dumb or something? They've been on the bonus since the 9 minute mark or so and they stopped being aggressive.

Well, I certainly think it's safe to say that they don't have an over-abundance of basketball I.Q.. If they could get the ball in the basket, and stop giving Detroit 3 or 4 chances to shoot the ball every trip down the floor, they might actually be ahead in this game! Classic example of being "their own worst enemy".

Off-subject: I can't STAND Reggie Miller! (There ... I finally got it out!)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2008, 07:27:59 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Phily need to get something going offensively. Detroit has stopped them too easily.

I'd like to see them run some iso plays for Thaddeus Young. There's absolutely no way under the sun that Antonio McDyess can keep up with this young man. Just get out of the way.

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2008, 07:32:41 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Phily need to get something going offensively. Detroit has stopped them too easily.

I'd like to see them run some iso plays for Thaddeus Young. There's absolutely no way under the sun that Antonio McDyess can keep up with this young man. Just get out of the way.

Yup ... Philly can def. out-athlticize Detroit, if thay take them out of the half-court and run the floor.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Where's Jason Smith?

He's been playing very well lately. He's the only big with a jump shot. They need scoring. Put him in. Stretch the floor and give Iggy some space to work with.

Evans isn't contributing enough out there. He grabbed seven boards but how many did he give up? Maxiell has 9. He was on Max for a lot of that time. Thaddeus Young has to get on the glass too. Detroit are out-rebounding Phily which just cannot happen if they are to stand a chance of winning this game.

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2008, 07:55:32 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Where's Jason Smith?

He's been playing very well lately. He's the only big with a jump shot. They need scoring. Put him in. Stretch the floor and give Iggy some space to work with.

Evans isn't contributing enough out there. He grabbed seven boards but how many did he give up? Maxiell has 9. He was on Max for a lot of that time. Thaddeus Young has to get on the glass too. Detroit are out-rebounding Phily which just cannot happen if they are to stand a chance of winning this game.

Totally agree, Who ... TP for saving me typing time!

* BAHKU MUSIC *