Author Topic: Al Jefferson (Official discusion thread for the 07/08 season)  (Read 41471 times)

Re: Al Jefferson (Official discusion thread for the 07/08 season)
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2008, 12:17:17 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Are AJ and RG becoming a legit one, two punch in this league? AJs 26 and 20, to go along with RGs 25 and 10. Plus holding the Bulls to 67 points someone must have played some D, I see Big Al had 2 blocks, and RG had 3 steals. It looks like they forced alot off turnovers as a team. Way to go guys.
PS Bassy also had ten assists.

Ryan Gomes is a guy people admire and he's making some things happen, but ultimately, the Wolves must have a long defensive presence to team up with Al, and Gomes can't give them that. Even teams with great defensive big men try to pair them up with another long defender if they can. He can give them backup minutes at PF and he can compete for the 3 spot, but Gomes at PF with Al creates the same problems for the Wolves that we saw with the C's last year. They can't protect the rim. If Al could play with a real PF/C defender, the Wolves would make a major leap forward.

Gomes is the perfect long term fit at 6th man for anyone in the NBA. Although he recently had some amazing statistical showings (including the 25 and 10 game last night), I don't know why Billy is referring to him as a 25 and 10 guy. He isn't close to being one. A coach can play Gomes at the 3 or 4 coming off the bench depending on the matchup, and Gomes can provide a scoring burst when needed. He'll play smart basketball and solid team defense with the second unit, and sometimes with the first unit coming down the stretch. As an FA this summer Gomes should run as far away as he can from McHale, find himself a championship contender, and sign on long term as a 6th man/fill-in starter.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2008, 12:39:35 PM »

Offline billy774

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 20
I was just saying Gomes and Big Al, have had some nice numbers of late, good to see thats all. Im not saying Gomes is a 25 10 guy. I do however, think Big Al is a 20 10 guy.
Lar-ry!!! Lar-ry!!! Lar-ry!!!

« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2008, 07:52:51 PM »

Offline dmopower

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
Well guys here I am, its been a while.
I have been waiting for today so I could gloat when Big Al was named as a reserve to the allstar game.
Well he dident get named so Here I sit eating crow.
But I am still going to gloat  some.
I wont name names but do you guys remember when I said AJ was going to be an allstar, well he should have been, the allstar game is about offense and big is all offense.
I said he would have better numbers and you laughed at me.
Some of you said that he would regress on a bad team, what a joke that was.
I said AJ has the potential to be a 24 point 13 rebound man and I realy got laughed at for that one.
Well after he was left off the team I think he could get those averages this year.
I love our team in boston and have watched every game this year,nice mix of youth and vets.
I still hate the way Doc doesent coach though.
AJ has the best post moves in the game right now as I said last year and now seems to be taking another step toward greatness.
I am going to the minn boston game next friday with my son for his 18th bday and I hope I can figure out who to root for.
They should have beat us last game.
P.S. doc needs to move ray allen to the bench and bring him in with the subs, we need more D in the starting line up.
by for now enjoy the game.

blind optimist or GENIUS

« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2008, 10:30:07 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Great finish to the game right here from Al.

He's dropped 28 on San Antonio. Wolves were down 4 points with a minute and a half to go. Al gets the ball from 14 feet on the baseline, against Duncan, gives a couple of head fakes and jab steps and drops the J in Timmy's face. Down the other end Timmy comes right back at Al. Al shows some great post positioning defense and Tim loses it on the spin. Next play down Al spins off Tim going baseline, gets the foul and the bucket and knocks down the free throw. Lead Minnesota with 40 seconds left.

For the Spurs, Manu Ginobili has been incredible dropping 42 points. Didn't he have 40 the game before too? Against LeBron with 22 or so in the fourth? (edit: that was two games ago, after his 34/15/6 against Toronto and it was 46 against Cleveland)

Ohhhh ..... Manu with the killer. He drops a fifteen foot pull up jumper on the drive after going behind his back. Lead San Antonio with 6 seconds to go. Great play.

« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2008, 10:49:07 PM »

Offline threzd

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12

He's dropped 28 on San Antonio. Wolves were down 4 points with a minute and a half to go. Al gets the ball from 14 feet on the baseline, against Duncan, gives a couple of head fakes and jab steps and drops the J in Timmy's face. Down the other end Timmy comes right back at Al. Al shows some great post positioning defense and Tim loses it on the spin. Next play down Al spins off Tim going baseline, gets the foul and the bucket and knocks down the free throw. Lead Minnesota with 40 seconds left.

For the Spurs, Manu Ginobili has been incredible dropping 42 points. Didn't he have 40 the game before too? Against LeBron with 22 or so in the fourth? (edit: that was two games ago, after his 34/15/6 against Toronto and it was 46 against Cleveland)

Ohhhh ..... Manu with the killer. He drops a fifteen foot pull up jumper on the drive after going behind his back. Lead San Antonio with 6 seconds to go. Great play.

Great game, unfortunate that the T'Wolves lost. Hopefully games like this will build confidence that they can hang with the good teams. A couple missed or made shots aside, and they would have 15-20 wins. I'm hoping for a jump next year for them into the .500 crowd.

« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2008, 11:28:13 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
He played great tonight! They should have gave him the ball at teh end of the game. Bassy chocked.

« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2008, 11:31:48 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

This is why players on losing teams shouldn't automatically be ridden off as non-All Stars. Al comes up big against Timmy, but he can't change the fact that his team is crap.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

Al Jefferson still has a lot of work to do
« Reply #112 on: March 09, 2008, 11:41:56 AM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
If you haven't read the Basketball Notes column in today's Globe, there's an interesting tidbit out of Minnesota about Al's 1 dimensional game.

Al Jefferson continues to put up impressive numbers for the Timberwolves, but much like his old Atlanta backcourt mate, Rivers, Minnesota coach Randy Wittman wants to see some of that same excellence carry over to the other end of the floor. "Offensively, he's so talented," Wittman said. "But I've told him what he needs to do is to transfer some of that to the defensive end. That has got to be the next step he has to take if he's going to be an elite player in this league." Wittman was unaware Friday that his team owner, Glen Taylor, had given the coach a vote of confidence in the local paper, telling the Star Tribune that the team is on a three-year plan and Wittman isn't going anywhere. At least not now. "Doc was in the same position last year," Wittman said of Rivers. "You just keep working every day. It's all part of the job."

One thing we all can agree upon, as much as we have loved the offensive display this year, it's the defense that has won the games (except for last night!!).
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

Re: Al Jefferson still has a lot of work to do
« Reply #113 on: March 09, 2008, 03:08:04 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
If you haven't read the Basketball Notes column in today's Globe, there's an interesting tidbit out of Minnesota about Al's 1 dimensional game.

Al Jefferson continues to put up impressive numbers for the Timberwolves, but much like his old Atlanta backcourt mate, Rivers, Minnesota coach Randy Wittman wants to see some of that same excellence carry over to the other end of the floor. "Offensively, he's so talented," Wittman said. "But I've told him what he needs to do is to transfer some of that to the defensive end. That has got to be the next step he has to take if he's going to be an elite player in this league." Wittman was unaware Friday that his team owner, Glen Taylor, had given the coach a vote of confidence in the local paper, telling the Star Tribune that the team is on a three-year plan and Wittman isn't going anywhere. At least not now. "Doc was in the same position last year," Wittman said of Rivers. "You just keep working every day. It's all part of the job."

One thing we all can agree upon, as much as we have loved the offensive display this year, it's the defense that has won the games (except for last night!!).

Tommy Point for a good catch.

Al's got a ton of offensive talent. But the attempts to put him on Garnett's level have got to stop. Al is a LONG way from the overall excellence of the Ticket's game, and his defensive ambivalence is just one. Passing, effort ... They go on.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2008, 07:21:48 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Here's an odd stat

Al Jefferson has had his shot blocked 100 times this season (1.6 times a game), Al's easily the league leader with Emeka Okafor second at 87 blocks against.

He's blocked 84 shots (1.3bpg) on the other end so he's almost breaking even ....

« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2008, 10:19:51 AM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • Green 18 or Burst
According to the yahoo recap of last nights Twolves game,

Jefferson broke the Felton Spencer’s single-season franchise record for offensive rebounds (273), set in 1990-91.

good one, Al.  If my calvulations are correct, that means he's got more offensive rebound in this season than KG has ever gotten in a single season....

Green 17 vol. 1-4  available here: https://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/

« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2008, 10:42:06 AM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78

Jefferson broke the Felton Spencer’s single-season franchise record for offensive rebounds (273), set in 1990-91.

good one, Al.  If my calvulations are correct, that means he's got more offensive rebound in this season than KG has ever gotten in a single season....

Meaning what exactly, he is as good or better than KG?  Great year for Al, no doubt, but W's and L's are the only #s that really matter, give me the greater Win total any day of the week over an individual achievement.  Seeing whose record Big Al broke should make the point plainly enough.

« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2008, 04:19:05 PM »

Offline miraclejohan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • Green 18 or Burst

Meaning what exactly, he is as good or better than KG?  Great year for Al, no doubt, but W's and L's are the only #s that really matter, give me the greater Win total any day of the week over an individual achievement.  Seeing whose record Big Al broke should make the point plainly enough.

No, not meaning anything at all, just that he broke a record that I would have bet KG held.  It actually surprised me to read that KG didn't hold that record in Minnesota.  And it was impressive that AlJeff has done so with still a fair amount of games to go.  I was just trying to emphasize the accomplishment, not make a judgement on KG or win total or records or anything...
Green 17 vol. 1-4  available here: https://miraclejohan.bandcamp.com/