Author Topic: Star Wars: Clone Wars (TV Show)  (Read 36814 times)

Re: star wars clone wars
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2008, 09:16:05 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
any1 else see the film and wish to discuss it?  people agree/disagree with my opinion on it?

saw it with the little bro last weekend, i thought it was pretty good when you consider its a kids movie designed to get a new generation interested. i also found that guys review laughable, and it is his attutide that gives star wars fans a bad conotation. The movie isn't about living up to your fantasy's about how awesome every movie should be, it was about introducing star wars to a younger generation of fans, and when you look at it that way, it was a good movie.

if you hold it to the first films/zahn book standeeds, its a little geared towards the younger set (no one gets hurt except droids in war kids! and also clones, but they don't have souls  ;)) but overall, a good story. It was annoying, as an older fan, to know that no real loss was going to happen, to keep with the kids vibe. I had no real investment in any duel between two humanoid characters. Even asoka's fight with the three droids held no drama, since i knew lucas wouldn't let her even get hurt, let alone be killed. But again, my brother didn't know that, and he was on the edge of his seat.

It doesn't compare to the first clone wars mini series on cartoon network for me, but the little bro loved it (he's 10) and is looking forward to the show, and thats what they were going for. good for them to move on with a new generation.

I will say, going to be interesting to see how they explain the whole " killing off his apprentice" thing, or if they dodge it another way (she could be off on a mission when he snaps i suppose, or die in a way that turns him towards the dark side, or they could just not go that far with the TV show)

one thing, what the heck was up with him nicknaming her snipes? i swear to god, i was irrate at the movie for that, only because i missed why he named her that, and it was irritating me hehe. was she a freaking barber at the temple?

he calls her "snipes" bc he says she is snippy.

TP to you man, me and the bro both missed it and were like "the hell?"

but yea, overall, good movie. Liked to see ventress in action, and i agree the dagger grip on the lightsaber was a good look for asoka. i would have actually liked to have seen her get a short blade, almost like a dagger, to do that grip with, and maintian her ninjaness fighting style. even toss her a second one if you want.

One saber idea i'd love to see on film, while on that subject, is horn's from the new jedi order series, the variable beam one. I always thought that was a cool idea, being able to change lengths by swapping crystals.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2008, 09:21:18 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

thanks for the tommy point

but
One saber idea i'd love to see on film, while on that subject, is horn's from the new jedi order series, the variable beam one. I always thought that was a cool idea, being able to change lengths by swapping crystals.

tp for you, as the dark_lord is very impressed with your star wars knowledge, especially within the expanded universe! ;)

« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2008, 09:26:57 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

thanks for the tommy point

but

tp for you, as the dark_lord is very impressed with your star wars knowledge, especially within the expanded universe! ;)

thanks, loved those books. whole series was extermly well done.

The joiner books however, have left much to be desired. we should probley start a separate thread if were going to discuss the books, but to me the end of the new jedi order books was a grand new way to think about the force and the jedi in general, and i was looking forward to books about the order after jacen's revelation.

and then its like they caved to the backlash about jacen's view on the force, and now suddenly he's a dark jedi master and all the other characters agree he was wrong about the force and is in fact pure evil, and must be stopped.

I dunno, mabey its because i loved the take on the force in the last new jedi order book, but to me, the entire post joiner series feels forced (pardon the pun) to reset the force back to black and white. I rather liked jacen's take that the force is neutral and the individual makes choices.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2008, 10:26:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Everytime there is a Star Wars thread, I'll always mention that Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic is one of the best games ever made.  I enjoyed the original trilogy, but no book, no movie, and no game can bring you into the world like KOTOR I.

I'm not happy with LucasArts at all at the moment, though.  They've brought BioWare (creators of KOTOR I, Mass Effect, Jade Empire, Baldur's Gate and the soon to be released and soon to be added to my list of favorite games of all time Dragon Age) back for KOTOR III (great choice), but are like to turn it into an MMORPG because Galaxies failed so miserably.  How can you ruin a Star Wars MMORPG in the first place?!  That's money in the bank!  Now they have to submarine a franchise that already has proven it can create fantastic games in order to get into a market they've already failed at once.  I'd have no problem if BioWare were developing the MMORPG and KOTOR III separately, but that they're uprooting the series is just ridiculous.

Then again, maybe I'm just bitter.  The KOTOR series are two of my favorite games and I have done everything I can to stay away from WoW because I know I'd turn into the guy from South Park.  Now, they're not giving me any choice.  The day KOTOR is released as an MMORPG, you'll never hear from me again.

I'm kinda a geek about chronological reading if that helps. After I read the Lord of the Rings as a kid and then the Silmarillion came out I just had to read it. I didn't get into Harry Potter until the fifth book was out but ran out and got all of them in hard cover so I could start at the beginning. Same holds true for any sci-fi or fantasy genre serials I get into.

I had never read books until my girlfriend in college told me to read Prisoner of Azkaban.  I finished it at about 2:30 in the morning and then immediately went to WalMart to start on Goblet of Fire.  I think I read Order of the Phoenix three days after that, and then went back and read the first two another three days after that, then had to wait for Half Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows, but I'm glad I got to be a fan of the series while there were still books coming out.  The anticipation of a Harry Potter book was absolutely amazing.  My friends and I had so much fun waiting in line and when I picked up Half Blood Prince, I devoured it in one read.  Twelve consecutive hours (got home from the midnight release at 1AM, finished reading at 1PM).

If you are a fan of fantasy literature, have you read A Song of Ice and Fire?   If you haven't, you should pick those up (four book series thus far, fifth coming out next year *fingers crossed* and it will go to seven.  They're fantastic and HBO and the BBC are working on turning it into a TV series, so that can vouch for the quality.  It's really gritty, sexy and violent and it doesn't deal with the LOTR type fantasy of elves and trolls.  It's very human and very grey, even if there are dragons.
I actually think George R R martin's Song of Fire and Ice might be the greatest fantasy epic ever written when all is said and done. I have waited for the next book impatiently everytime I finished the first. It's been a long time waiting for the Dance with Dragons. I just hope the entire series gets finished eventually.

I heard that HBO has bought the rights to the books and plan on making them into a television series with each book being one season. That would be unreal but the age of all the main characters might need to be increased a bit for HBO to realistically do it.

« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2008, 11:34:13 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i've always been a big star wars movie fan but never a fanatic... i searched for stars wars on wiki... wow, i didn't realize the story continues all the way through luke's grandson. i wonder if he'll make more movies afterward, the sequences to return of the jedi.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2008, 12:32:16 AM »

Offline MaxwellSmart

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
only the first 3 original Star Wars films were good...the rest are garbage ripoffs.

« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2008, 12:41:17 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
Everytime there is a Star Wars thread, I'll always mention that Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic is one of the best games ever made.  I enjoyed the original trilogy, but no book, no movie, and no game can bring you into the world like KOTOR I.

I'm not happy with LucasArts at all at the moment, though.  They've brought BioWare (creators of KOTOR I, Mass Effect, Jade Empire, Baldur's Gate and the soon to be released and soon to be added to my list of favorite games of all time Dragon Age) back for KOTOR III (great choice), but are like to turn it into an MMORPG because Galaxies failed so miserably.  How can you ruin a Star Wars MMORPG in the first place?!  That's money in the bank!  Now they have to submarine a franchise that already has proven it can create fantastic games in order to get into a market they've already failed at once.  I'd have no problem if BioWare were developing the MMORPG and KOTOR III separately, but that they're uprooting the series is just ridiculous.

Then again, maybe I'm just bitter.  The KOTOR series are two of my favorite games and I have done everything I can to stay away from WoW because I know I'd turn into the guy from South Park.  Now, they're not giving me any choice.  The day KOTOR is released as an MMORPG, you'll never hear from me again.

I'm kinda a geek about chronological reading if that helps. After I read the Lord of the Rings as a kid and then the Silmarillion came out I just had to read it. I didn't get into Harry Potter until the fifth book was out but ran out and got all of them in hard cover so I could start at the beginning. Same holds true for any sci-fi or fantasy genre serials I get into.

I had never read books until my girlfriend in college told me to read Prisoner of Azkaban.  I finished it at about 2:30 in the morning and then immediately went to WalMart to start on Goblet of Fire.  I think I read Order of the Phoenix three days after that, and then went back and read the first two another three days after that, then had to wait for Half Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows, but I'm glad I got to be a fan of the series while there were still books coming out.  The anticipation of a Harry Potter book was absolutely amazing.  My friends and I had so much fun waiting in line and when I picked up Half Blood Prince, I devoured it in one read.  Twelve consecutive hours (got home from the midnight release at 1AM, finished reading at 1PM).

If you are a fan of fantasy literature, have you read A Song of Ice and Fire?   If you haven't, you should pick those up (four book series thus far, fifth coming out next year *fingers crossed* and it will go to seven.  They're fantastic and HBO and the BBC are working on turning it into a TV series, so that can vouch for the quality.  It's really gritty, sexy and violent and it doesn't deal with the LOTR type fantasy of elves and trolls.  It's very human and very grey, even if there are dragons.
I actually think George R R martin's Song of Fire and Ice might be the greatest fantasy epic ever written when all is said and done. I have waited for the next book impatiently everytime I finished the first. It's been a long time waiting for the Dance with Dragons. I just hope the entire series gets finished eventually.

I heard that HBO has bought the rights to the books and plan on making them into a television series with each book being one season. That would be unreal but the age of all the main characters might need to be increased a bit for HBO to realistically do it.

supposedly book 6 drops in november, here's hoping he hits the date.

Its my all time favorite series, narrowly edging wheel of time.

« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2008, 07:36:01 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I actually think George R R martin's Song of Fire and Ice might be the greatest fantasy epic ever written when all is said and done.

I think the mark that the series has had on the genre is that it brought humanity to fantasy literature.  The genre doesn't have to be held down by mystical wizards, elves, fairies, and prophecies.  Though ASoIaF has that aspect, the series doesn't rely on it and the series isn't defined by it.  The success is that Martin has made fantasy personal.

Out of my incredible respect for Star Wars and Star Wars fans, I won't take any more time in this thread.  I made a Song of Ice and Fire thread for the series to be discussed in greater depth and with a lot more of me giggling about how awesome Rhaegar Targaryen was.

http://www.celticsblog.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=64&topic=22063.msg351328#msg351328
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 07:51:58 AM by Robb »
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2008, 01:01:29 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
i've always been a big star wars movie fan but never a fanatic... i searched for stars wars on wiki... wow, i didn't realize the story continues all the way through luke's grandson. i wonder if he'll make more movies afterward, the sequences to return of the jedi.

lucas said he wont make any more movies that are before the prequels, or after the original trilogy....but hey, u never know.  everything outside of the six films is condsidered the "expanded universe".  books, graphic novels, video games, etc explore the expanded universe.

when it comes to star wars, forget wiki...use this:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2008, 01:02:47 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
only the first 3 original Star Wars films were good...the rest are garbage ripoffs.

of course ur entitiled to your opinion, but if your going to make a blanket statement, at least support your logic with why u feel that way  ::)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 01:10:57 PM by dark_lord »

« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2008, 01:12:51 PM »

Offline BigThreePeat

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 15
The movie got terrible, terrible reviews so I had extremely low expectations going into it.  I thought it was going to be utter crap.  Just fluff to sell merchandise and happy meal toys to kiddies and set up some Saturday morning cartoon. 

Honestly it wasn't that bad.  I saw it with a buddy of mine who is 30 and we both actually enjoyed it.  It wasn't bad at all.   Yeah, it was a little kiddie-oriented, but as a television pilot it was fantastic.   Put it this way... if the TV show is on a par with the quality of the movie, I'm not going to miss an episode.   Definitely entertaining.   Definitely fitting for a cartoon network audience.   It was fun.  Everyone is so jaded these days, but you have to respect how incredible some of that animation is.  It's still pretty cool stuff.

As for Ahsoka.  It wasn't like she was Jar-Jar.  She'll be a good character for the kids to relate to.   And I'm not sure she'll even get killed off.  Maybe she'll just quit being a jedi at some point, because it's too hard.  Who knows. But I think it'll be difficult killing off a cartoon character.  Should be interesting to see how dark they are willing to take that series. 

« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2008, 05:43:28 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
As for Ahsoka.  It wasn't like she was Jar-Jar.  She'll be a good character for the kids to relate to.   And I'm not sure she'll even get killed off.  Maybe she'll just quit being a jedi at some point, because it's too hard.  Who knows. But I think it'll be difficult killing off a cartoon character.  Should be interesting to see how dark they are willing to take that series. 

glad to hear some1 else enjoyed it and saw the film for exactly what it was.

with regards to the portion i quoted on ahsoka, i agree she may not be killed off. i have read several articles hinting at a love/crush angle with ahsoka fallingin love with anakin, but anakin not feeling the same towards her bc of her age and his love for padme.  that may drive her to leave the jedi order. 

« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2008, 09:58:55 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
FYI, the clone wars television series will premier on october 3rd.  it will be an hour episode.  each episode following the premier will be a half hour.

« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2008, 01:33:44 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Ok, I finally watched the movie and all the episodes.  Although the movie itself is below average, the episodes are very good. Except for the JAR JAR Jedi episode. My question is where does this fall in the Clone Wars timeline. Anakin has a scar and General Grievous has a cough. But the last cartoon Clone War was minutes before episode 3???? Help please!!!

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2008, 01:37:07 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
Ok, I finally watched the movie and all the episodes.  Although the movie itself is below average, the episodes are very good. Except for the JAR JAR Jedi episode. My question is where does this fall in the Clone Wars timeline. Anakin has a scar and General Grievous has a cough. But the last cartoon Clone War was minutes before episode 3???? Help please!!!

everything u need to know is here.  it includes all the expanded universe battles.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Clone_Wars

by the way, if ur a star wars fan, i recommend bookmarking wookiepedia.  it is an unbelievable resource for all things star wars