Author Topic: Star Wars: Clone Wars (TV Show)  (Read 36572 times)

Re: star wars clone wars
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2008, 10:54:13 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Check it out!!!

http://www.ew.com/ew/video/exclusives?lineupId=1155151521&videoId=1655717469

Looks pretty sweet.

When exactly is it supposed to take place, though?  Looks a bit all over the place.

I'd assume, right after Revenge of the Sith.

you are correct.  it takes place between revenge of the sith and a new hope.  it chronicles vader's "secret" apprentice, who was even attempted to keep hidden from palpatine.

this is going to be the sickest game!

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2008, 11:25:23 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2008, 08:34:38 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
Ok, has anyone seen it? Critics are trashing it. Say it is not so.

Please, no spoilers!!!!!
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2008, 08:39:00 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I haven't seen it, but everyone I've talked to who has said its garbage.  That seems to be the consensus among critics, as well.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2008, 11:22:12 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
i saw it and loved it.  the cgi is amazing!  you forget that your watching an animated movie.

many critics may bash it bc they dont understand the concept of the clone wars.  this film is only a stepping stone in order to create the weekly television series.  the creators not only had to make a good movie, but they needed to set things up for an entire television series.

people might think i am biased because i am a star wars nut, but when u have the outlook i mentioned about this film, u will appreciate the fim immensly.

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2008, 11:37:09 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
i saw it and loved it.  the cgi is amazing!  you forget that your watching an animated movie.

many critics may bash it bc they dont understand the concept of the clone wars.  this film is only a stepping stone in order to create the weekly television series.  the creators not only had to make a good movie, but they needed to set things up for an entire television series.

people might think i am biased because i am a star wars nut, but when u have the outlook i mentioned about this film, u will appreciate the fim immensly.

Dark, I am so happy to read this.   I am taking my son and 11 of his friends next Friday for his 8th birthday.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2008, 11:46:57 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

Being a Star Wars fan myself, I 100% trust your opinion. I need to make time this week to go see it.

Larry Bird

« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2008, 11:49:22 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

Dark, I am so happy to read this.   I am taking my son and 11 of his friends next Friday for his 8th birthday.

the kids will enjoy it, especially if they love star wars.

the film does a great job of character development between anakin and ahsoka(anakins padawan).  after the film, your mind starts to wonder about the television series, as there truly are endless possibilities to go with story development.  fans will enjoy asajj ventress and ahsoka.  expanded universe fans are well aware of asajj, but for the common viewer, they will be amazed and intrigued by her.  fans will also want to see ahsoka, as she is is a brand new character, as well as she isnt in episode three, therefore something must happen to her during the television series :'(

great film. you and your children will enjoy it.

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2008, 11:56:47 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

the film does a great job of character development between anakin and ahsoka(anakins padawan).  after the film, your mind starts to wonder about the television series, as there truly are endless possibilities to go with story development.  fans will enjoy asajj ventress and ahsoka.  expanded universe fans are well aware of asajj, but for the common viewer, they will be amazed and intrigued by her.  fans will also want to see ahsoka, as she is is a brand new character, as well as she isnt in episode three, therefore something must happen to her during the television series :'(

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this, dark_lord, in contrast to Harry Knowles' review, found here (profanity alert).  As you probably know, Harry runs aintitcool.com, and is one of the biggest Star Wars fans / geeks in the universe.  He loved all the other Star Wars movies, loved the previous Clone Wars animated series...  and absolutely hated this.

I'd be interested in hearing your perspective in hearing why that is, and if you can relate to the criticisms he made.  (The one I'm hearing most often, almost universally, is about how the Hutts were treated.)

(Interestingly enough, almost all the aintitcool Star Wars fans disliked the movie.  That was a major surprise, since reaction to Star Wars movies over there is usually almost universally positive.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2008, 12:00:30 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Everytime there is a Star Wars thread, I'll always mention that Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic is one of the best games ever made.  I enjoyed the original trilogy, but no book, no movie, and no game can bring you into the world like KOTOR I.

I'm not happy with LucasArts at all at the moment, though.  They've brought BioWare (creators of KOTOR I, Mass Effect, Jade Empire, Baldur's Gate and the soon to be released and soon to be added to my list of favorite games of all time Dragon Age) back for KOTOR III (great choice), but are like to turn it into an MMORPG because Galaxies failed so miserably.  How can you ruin a Star Wars MMORPG in the first place?!  That's money in the bank!  Now they have to submarine a franchise that already has proven it can create fantastic games in order to get into a market they've already failed at once.  I'd have no problem if BioWare were developing the MMORPG and KOTOR III separately, but that they're uprooting the series is just ridiculous.

Then again, maybe I'm just bitter.  The KOTOR series are two of my favorite games and I have done everything I can to stay away from WoW because I know I'd turn into the guy from South Park.  Now, they're not giving me any choice.  The day KOTOR is released as an MMORPG, you'll never hear from me again.

I'm kinda a geek about chronological reading if that helps. After I read the Lord of the Rings as a kid and then the Silmarillion came out I just had to read it. I didn't get into Harry Potter until the fifth book was out but ran out and got all of them in hard cover so I could start at the beginning. Same holds true for any sci-fi or fantasy genre serials I get into.

I had never read books until my girlfriend in college told me to read Prisoner of Azkaban.  I finished it at about 2:30 in the morning and then immediately went to WalMart to start on Goblet of Fire.  I think I read Order of the Phoenix three days after that, and then went back and read the first two another three days after that, then had to wait for Half Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows, but I'm glad I got to be a fan of the series while there were still books coming out.  The anticipation of a Harry Potter book was absolutely amazing.  My friends and I had so much fun waiting in line and when I picked up Half Blood Prince, I devoured it in one read.  Twelve consecutive hours (got home from the midnight release at 1AM, finished reading at 1PM).

If you are a fan of fantasy literature, have you read A Song of Ice and Fire?  If you haven't, you should pick those up (four book series thus far, fifth coming out next year *fingers crossed* and it will go to seven.  They're fantastic and HBO and the BBC are working on turning it into a TV series, so that can vouch for the quality.  It's really gritty, sexy and violent and it doesn't deal with the LOTR type fantasy of elves and trolls.  It's very human and very grey, even if there are dragons.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 12:07:04 PM by Robb »
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2008, 01:07:08 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201

I will give you a full update next week!!  (I too am a nut.......within reason!!  ;))
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2008, 02:10:43 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this, dark_lord, in contrast to Harry Knowles' review, found here (profanity alert).  As you probably know, Harry runs aintitcool.com, and is one of the biggest Star Wars fans / geeks in the universe.  He loved all the other Star Wars movies, loved the previous Clone Wars animated series...  and absolutely hated this.

I'd be interested in hearing your perspective in hearing why that is, and if you can relate to the criticisms he made.  (The one I'm hearing most often, almost universally, is about how the Hutts were treated.)

(Interestingly enough, almost all the aintitcool Star Wars fans disliked the movie.  That was a major surprise, since reaction to Star Wars movies over there is usually almost universally positive.)

thanks for the link hobbsy!  all i can say is "wow"!

i strongly disagree with alot of what he complained about.  although he claims to be a big star wars fan, i am surprised by his lack of knowledge going into the film.  it has been widely publicized among the star wars world that the voices are all different (except for threepio, dooku, and windu).  i am amazed he had any issues with ventress at all. she completely came off as a badass, which he claimed he wanted in the film.

ahsoko was a great character.  again, if he was informed heading into the film, he would have known that lucas himself said he wanted a female padawan with appeal towards female fans.  ahsoka comes off as a fearless, witty, and bold padawan, who you know will test anakin and question him along the way...while simultaneously building a strong bond between the two. the way in which she wields a lightsaber is completely different than any jedi we have seen to date. you leave the film thinking what adventures will anakin and ahsoka face, and you also wonder how she will develop into a jedi.  i think she was a cool character and she definately left me wanting to see her battle more in the future. as i said in a previous post, the film did an excellent job building character development bewteen anakin and ahsoka....which you would expect as the jumpoff to an entire series.

with regards to the hutts, i agree with his views on ziro the hutt.  i found him to be annoying, not menacing, and just bad.  however, his involvement in the film is not a major one.  i find that lucas always puts in lighthearted or "cute" characters in his films, bc he always claims it is a saga for the entire family.  there is something for each member of the family to enjoy and gravitate towards (i.e. rd2, jar jar, ewoks, etc).

although i agree with his distaste for ziro, i disagree about "stinky".  stinky is an infant. therefore he should do the things he was complaining about...pukey, farting, stinky behavior.  it was done in a playful way and it did the job in making the viewer care for the little guy. that is what should happen, as the plot of the film is a rescue mission to capture stinky from being kidnapped.

the other thing i agree with was the opening.  they didnt do the textbook opening crawl.  but in a way, i thought it did a good job of gripping you in the beginning as to "this is different, whats going to happen in this film".  the had action shots of battle scenes, as well as jedi battling against evil (plo koon and kit fisto together).  it was different. i prefer the old way, but i dont think it was as bad as the writer explained. not to mention that you fogot about the opening withink minutes bc the first scene is a battle scene.

overall, i stand by my opinion that it was a great film. not the best, but i wasnt expectiing it to be that (episode 3 will forever hold that title!).

im willing to discuss it more in detail, but will wait a little while so that it doesnt spoil it for other bloggers.  i am planning on seeing it again within the next week or two.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 02:19:28 PM by dark_lord »

« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2008, 08:48:35 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
any1 else see the film and wish to discuss it?  people agree/disagree with my opinion on it?

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2008, 09:03:23 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
any1 else see the film and wish to discuss it?  people agree/disagree with my opinion on it?

saw it with the little bro this weekend, i thought it was pretty good when you consider its a kids movie designed to get a new generation interested. i also found that guys review laughable, and it is his attutide that gives star wars fans a bad conotation. The movie isn't about living up to your fantasy's about how awesome every movie should be, it was about introducing star wars to a younger generation of fans, and when you look at it that way, it was a good movie.

if you hold it to the first films/zahn book standeeds, its a little geared towards the younger set (no one gets hurt except droids in war kids! and also clones, but they don't have souls  ;)) but overall, a good story. It was annoying, as an older fan, to know that no real loss was going to happen, to keep with the kids vibe. I had no real investment in any duel between two humanoid characters. Even asoka's fight with the three droids held no drama, since i knew lucas wouldn't let her even get hurt, let alone be killed. But again, my brother didn't know that, and he was on the edge of his seat.

It doesn't compare to the first clone wars mini series on cartoon network for me, but the little bro loved it (he's 10) and is looking forward to the show, and thats what they were going for. good for them to move on with a new generation.

I will say, going to be interesting to see how they explain the whole " killing off his apprentice" thing, or if they dodge it another way (she could be off on a mission when he snaps i suppose, or die in a way that turns him towards the dark side, or they could just not go that far with the TV show)

one thing, what the heck was up with him nicknaming her snipes? i swear to god, i was irrate at the movie for that, only because i missed why he named her that, and it was irritating me hehe. was she a freaking barber at the temple?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 09:09:36 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2008, 09:09:59 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

saw it with the little bro last weekend, i thought it was pretty good when you consider its a kids movie designed to get a new generation interested. i also found that guys review laughable, and it is his attutide that gives star wars fans a bad conotation. The movie isn't about living up to your fantasy's about how awesome every movie should be, it was about introducing star wars to a younger generation of fans, and when you look at it that way, it was a good movie.

if you hold it to the first films/zahn book standeeds, its a little geared towards the younger set (no one gets hurt except droids in war kids! and also clones, but they don't have souls  ;)) but overall, a good story. It was annoying, as an older fan, to know that no real loss was going to happen, to keep with the kids vibe. I had no real investment in any duel between two humanoid characters. Even asoka's fight with the three droids held no drama, since i knew lucas wouldn't let her even get hurt, let alone be killed. But again, my brother didn't know that, and he was on the edge of his seat.

It doesn't compare to the first clone wars mini series on cartoon network for me, but the little bro loved it (he's 10) and is looking forward to the show, and thats what they were going for. good for them to move on with a new generation.

I will say, going to be interesting to see how they explain the whole " killing off his apprentice" thing, or if they dodge it another way (she could be off on a mission when he snaps i suppose, or die in a way that turns him towards the dark side, or they could just not go that far with the TV show)

one thing, what the heck was up with him nicknaming her snipes? i swear to god, i was irrate at the movie for that, only because i missed why he named her that, and it was irritating me hehe. was she a freaking barber at the temple?

he calls her "snipes" bc he says she is snippy.