Author Topic: Shippin up to Boston...From NY =)  (Read 7958 times)

Shippin up to Boston...From NY =)
« on: April 19, 2008, 01:01:16 PM »

Offline Rich

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
I decided to get tix for Game 1 even though I live in NY 3 hours away and have to be @ work 8:30am on Monday...That's fine...I figured this is the only chance I would get to make a playoff game due to my schedules and prices getting higher and higher each round...So anyways...Being from NY I am not totally familiar with the area...I've been up there once for a game about 5 years ago when the C's played the Hornets and guys like JR Bremer were still on the team...lol...But I am just as much a die hard as the rest of you and just wanted to know:

1) the best place to eat before the game
2) the best place to park
3) anything else?

thanks and see you all on Sunday night!!!!
Let’s go Celtics!!

Re: Shippin up to Boston...From NY =)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 01:37:56 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Have you thought about driving to Riverside and taking the T in?

I've eaten at the Fours a bunch of times before games, anywhere you go around there will be packed.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 01:51:07 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
ok, if JR Bremer tries to park your car, he is NOT I repeat NOT a valet...don't let him park your car

seriously though - most of the lots in the area are fine to park in - if you get in early enough, park around gov't center - b/c its a sunday its free parking. Again if early enough I'd eat at beerworks, good food, good beer, good time... if you're running late, eat in the stadium vs random food vendors on the street - if you gotta work at 8:30, you don't want salmanella....

have fun at the game man!
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 04:16:46 PM »

Offline Rich

• Payton Pritchard

I've eaten at the Fours a bunch of times before games, anywhere you go around there will be packed.

Not familiar with the area...Where is Riverside, is there parking, how far of a ride is it on the "T"?   etc etc
Let’s go Celtics!!

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 07:20:08 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I decided to get tix for Game 1 even though I live in NY 3 hours away and have to be @ work 8:30am on Monday...That's fine...I figured this is the only chance I would get to make a playoff game due to my schedules and prices getting higher and higher each round...So anyways...Being from NY I am not totally familiar with the area...I've been up there once for a game about 5 years ago when the C's played the Hornets and guys like JR Bremer were still on the team...lol...But I am just as much a die hard as the rest of you and just wanted to know:

1) the best place to eat before the game
2) the best place to park
3) anything else?

thanks and see you all on Sunday night!!!!

i'd give you a TP for your dedication and devotion to the team....BUT, ur from new york, so i cant  ;)

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 08:41:55 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 191
I've got tix too, somehow. Don't know how far you want to ride, park, etc. Parking near the Garden is tough and expensive. My plan is to park near the Cambridgeside Galleria

http://www.cambridgesidegalleria.com/info/directions.cfm

there are free and metered spaces on the sidestreets in the area, if you're lucky

and then take the Green Line from Lechmere to the Garden, which is just a couple of stops.

As far as pre-game quaffing, there are lots of bars on the sidestreets across from the Garden: Canal Street, Portland Street, Friend Street. All will be more or less packed. The Fours is old-school '80s-style sports bar - lots of mahogany, pics of Bird and Orr era legends, so-so bar food. Boston Beer Works is two stories, more of an industrial modern look, younger crowd. The Greatest Bar has a gigantic TV and is four floors. Sullivan's Tap is basically an alley with a roof on top and cheap draft beer if you're looking to control your budget. There's also the Harp on Causeway Street which is spacious if you're looking for a little elbow room.

Let's keep this mother rockin'!

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 08:49:13 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton

Not familiar with the area...Where is Riverside, is there parking, how far of a ride is it on the "T"?   etc etc

It's in Newton. You will have no problem grabbing a ride there but it's at least a 45-minute trolley ride with frequent stops. I wouldn't recommend it - it's a good way for people coming from the west to get to Fenway Park, but the Garden is more of a haul.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 09:05:32 PM »

Offline Rich

• Payton Pritchard
I've got tix too, somehow. Don't know how far you want to ride, park, etc. Parking near the Garden is tough and expensive. My plan is to park near the Cambridgeside Galleria

http://www.cambridgesidegalleria.com/info/directions.cfm

there are free and metered spaces on the sidestreets in the area, if you're lucky

and then take the Green Line from Lechmere to the Garden, which is just a couple of stops.

As far as pre-game quaffing, there are lots of bars on the sidestreets across from the Garden: Canal Street, Portland Street, Friend Street. All will be more or less packed. The Fours is old-school '80s-style sports bar - lots of mahogany, pics of Bird and Orr era legends, so-so bar food. Boston Beer Works is two stories, more of an industrial modern look, younger crowd. The Greatest Bar has a gigantic TV and is four floors. Sullivan's Tap is basically an alley with a roof on top and cheap draft beer if you're looking to control your budget. There's also the Harp on Causeway Street which is spacious if you're looking for a little elbow room.

Let's keep this mother rockin'!

Thanks for the info...I don't mind parking and taking 5-10 minute train ride in (or 15 if it saves me some money and a headache!)...I am just a little nervous being far away from The Garden being that I have no clue where I am lol...How much would parking be near The Garden?  Are we talking $20 bucks, or since it's playoffs more?  The Galleria doesn't seem like a bad idea, I just don't want to get lost!
Let’s go Celtics!!

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 09:12:00 PM »

Offline butterbeanlove

• Bill Walton
I've never parked that close to the Garden but $20 would be a very optimistic minimum in the playoffs anywhere near North Station. The other alternative would be I-93 to Sullivan Square in Somerville and take the orange line to North Station. (I hate the orange line.)

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 09:20:22 PM »

Offline Rich

• Payton Pritchard
I've never parked that close to the Garden but $20 would be a very optimistic minimum in the playoffs anywhere near North Station. The other alternative would be I-93 to Sullivan Square in Somerville and take the orange line to North Station. (I hate the orange line.)

hah, i figured...well i will keep the galleria idea in mind, but i just don't want to get lost like i said, although i will have my GPS...how much does the train ride to the garden cost each way?  $2 or so like NYC? 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 09:31:35 PM by Rich »
Let’s go Celtics!!

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 10:43:07 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Too be honest, parking at the galeria/lechmere is your best bet.  If it's nice out though, I'd recommend walking, that's what I always used to do, it's prob a 15 minute walk.
do it

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 10:53:10 PM »

Offline Rich

• Payton Pritchard
Too be honest, parking at the galeria/lechmere is your best bet.  If it's nice out though, I'd recommend walking, that's what I always used to do, it's prob a 15 minute walk.

is it an easy walk, especially when the game is let out @ 11 or after?  or take the train on the way back?  is there signage for free parking vs. metered parking?...sorry for all the questions, i just want to be sure!
Let’s go Celtics!!

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 12:47:19 PM »

Offline NicaraguanFan

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
My wife and I walked from North Station to Galleria a couple of years ago and the only problem we had was it was chilling :) 

NF.
#18 is coming...

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 09:43:30 AM »

Offline Rich

• Payton Pritchard
What a game!  The Garden was sure rockin'!...Thanks all for the advice...My girlfriend and I parked @ the Cambridge Galleria and walked the 10 minutes or so to The Garden...And only $3.99 to park!  Woooo!  Can't beat it since event parking near The Garden was $28...I made it back to NY by 3:30AM...Hopefully I'll be back up again soon!@
Let’s go Celtics!!