Author Topic: Reason behind Big Papi's Struggles?!  (Read 11360 times)

Reason behind Big Papi's Struggles?!
« on: April 13, 2008, 05:09:07 PM »

Offline Da Truth 34

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
  • You Can't Handle The Truth!
Alright let me just a throw out a theory for some fun,but could the reason for Ortiz's huge slump to start the year not be his fault but an act of the baseball gods?!The construction worker’s bid to curse the yanks with ortiz jersey buried underneath the new ballpark could have jinx and reverse the misfortune on to poor David :(..Now that the shirt is unearth could this be start of Ortiz breaking out?!Only time will tell,we shall see  ::)

Re: Reason behind Big Papi's Struggles?!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 06:00:18 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I'm thinking it's probably because he hasn't fully recovered from his offseason knee surgery.  He's in the locker room after every game hobbling with huge ice packs on the knee.  He struggled last year through the injury, I don't think he will get back in form until he's fully healed.  It might be a good idea to put him on the 15 day DL and give him some more time to recover from it.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 06:10:25 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
hes also lost the ablity to go to left it seems, that shift has stolen 6-7 hits already.

i know this might be tied in with his knee, but id love to see him use the monster like he used to.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 07:38:11 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Who knows, I actually hate saying this but maybe he was hitting the HGH?
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 07:41:23 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
I don't know what it is but I hope he figures it out sooner rather than later.

It's really sad to see him struggle THIS badly, it's pretty horrible...like why is this guy in the 3 hole horrible.

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 01:05:42 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
It's definitely his knee.  His batting stance is all sorts of messed up.  He used to have his deep crouch with the bat cocked and coming over his head in rhythm, but now he's standing way too straight.  Those who think that he looks like Mo Vaughn at the tail end of his career seem to be more right than not.

Lately though he's been coming on really well, he's really fighting through this with infield singles into the shift.  He's hitting the ball well when he gets contact, but really, as we saw last year with Beck and Okie, a DL stint is all right if he needs it, and it seems like he might.  Has anyone seen his stance in the past three games?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 01:17:36 AM by Robb »
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 08:11:44 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
His timing is off and his stance/swing is all upper body right now.  My guess is the latter is linked to the knee.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 09:46:18 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
OK, I know a guy who works very high up in both the Yankees and Red Sox organizations, he told me that the jersey in Yankee stadium belonged to the real David Ortiz, who is being held captive in the dungeon of the new stadium. The guy on the Red Sox is Danny Ortiz the evil twin brother of David Ortiz, he is being payed by the Yankees to destroy the Sox from within.

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 11:32:24 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
OK, I know a guy who works very high up in both the Yankees and Red Sox organizations, he told me that the jersey in Yankee stadium belonged to the real David Ortiz, who is being held captive in the dungeon of the new stadium. The guy on the Red Sox is Danny Ortiz the evil twin brother of David Ortiz, he is being payed by the Yankees to destroy the Sox from within.

You know how I know you're lying? You say you have a friend "high up in both the Yankees and Red Sox organizations."
That would never happen   ;)

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 09:47:29 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
In some highlights today it looked like his stance was better, and I think he's got three straight 2-4 days.  Looks like he's pulling out of it, so that's great, although with at least three of his hits coming off of two infield singles and a dropped fly ball...just hope it's just him working out of it.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 09:53:02 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I don't think there's any one specific reason for Papi's struggles ... he's in a slump ... everybody goes through them, everybody comes out of them, (with a few sad exceptions). I really feel this is much ado about nothing, and that Ortiz will find his way into the light, and leave the dark side of this Force behind ... soon.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 10:22:09 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

They'd better get imposters for the other 8 guys in the lineup too then!  The Sox are scary.  Youk has become such a great hitter.  Pedroia has shown know signs of a soph jinx.  Elsbury's getting on base at a great clip.  Manny's Manny...With even just a luke warm Big Papi we've seen what this offense can do.
Yup

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 10:48:49 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
What slump?

Last 4 games: 7-for-16 (.438), 2 walks, 11 RBI

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 04:47:50 PM »

Offline Nerf MVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103

They'd better get imposters for the other 8 guys in the lineup too then!  The Sox are scary.  Youk has become such a great hitter.  Pedroia has shown know signs of a soph jinx.  Elsbury's getting on base at a great clip.  Manny's Manny...With even just a luke warm Big Papi we've seen what this offense can do.

Same here. I haven't given Ortiz's struggles much thought. They're being offset with the expected improvement of Manny and Drew, combined with Ellsbury dwarfing Crisps production.

The pitching scares me more. Dice-K's a deceptive 4-0, Lester can't put two solid outings together in a row, and this he says/ she says situation regarding Schillings shoulder has me thinking he may never come back.

Now Beckett's a scratch from tonights start with a stiff neck. Hopefully  it's not too serious.