Author Topic: Ugh! Someone help me understand the madness in Detroit (Lions, not Pistons)  (Read 10119 times)

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The Lions so far this season have lost:

TO Free Agency:

Teddy Lehman
Boss Bailey
Kevin Jones
Kalimba Edwards
Fernando Bryant
Kenoy Kennedy
Idrees Bashir
Damien Woody

To Trade:
Shaun Rogers

SO far this offseason the Lions have gained:
3rd Rd Pick
Re-signed Tatum Bell
Leigh Bodden
Keith Smith
Dwight Smith
Your Mom
Brian Kelly
Other Misc. Scrubs

What in the name of cheez-its H Feist is Matt Millen thinking? Is he already tanking to draft a prospect next season? Where are the freakin cornerbacks?? Millen lets D'Angelo Hall, Rudy Gay, Asante Samuel and even much maligned pac-man jones all go somewhere else. How in gods green earth does this guy still have a job? How??

No only that, they take the only decent running back detroit has seen since barry sanders (Kevin Jones) and cut him, outright! Just plain ol cut a first round draft pick that has done nothing but perform when he wasn't injured. God this is frustrating to watch.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Is "Your Mom" that highly touted TE out of USC or that bruising LB from Ohio State?  Great pickup for the Lions.   ;)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
You mean he is not going to overpay for some CB?  There are no elite CBs anymore.  The rules don't allow it. 

Millen was a much better broadcaster then he is a GM.  He should be gone already.

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
Who cares what the Lions do? 

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Who cares what the Lions do? 
Me. I take it you're not a fan?

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I feel your pain, IP.  Similar things are happening in Chicago.  All I can do is shake my head in regards to the teams in the NFC Central; the only team that seems to want to improve is Minnesota.

So, what wide receiver are you guys taking in the first round this year?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Maybe it's because, well, they're the Lions?!

BTW, if the Lions signed my mom, that would be one scary team!

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I feel your pain, IP.  Similar things are happening in Chicago.  All I can do is shake my head in regards to the teams in the NFC Central; the only team that seems to want to improve is Minnesota.

I think they're going to re-draft CHarles Rogers after his fabulous stint in the CFL. Go Lions!

They're going to have to draft an OLB or MLB...or a DL....or a RB, or a T, G or C, heck they're pretty thin at QB too....

I mean honestly, I can't name 3 starters on the lions that could absolutely start for any team in the NFL...

Roy Williams, Calvin Johnson...ummm.......

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I think they're going to re-draft CHarles Rogers after his fabulous stint in the CFL. Go Lions!

They're going to have to draft an OLB or MLB...or a DL....or a RB, or a T, G or C, heck they're pretty thin at QB too....

I mean honestly, I can't name 3 starters on the lions that could absolutely start for any team in the NFL...

Roy Williams, Calvin Johnson...ummm.......
Now you know what it felt like to be a Patriots fan during all those Patsy years.

Offline RondoIsAPimp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 23
Who cares about those guys that they failed to resign? None of them were even that good to begin with. Most of them were big disappointments.

-Kevin Jones is injury plagued and a bust.
-Teddy Lehman had a good rookie season, since then BUST.
-Boss Bailey is only known for being Champ's brother and for a 2nd round pick he was a bust too.
- Kennedy is an average at best safety who has never had more than 2 picks in a single season.
-Woody was a product of the Pats system and was an awful FA signing for you all, you're lucky to get rid of his contact.
-Bryant was once good back in the day like in Jax but is now over the hill
-Basher another 2nd round bust
-Edwards once showed potential but hasn't had a good season in 2 years.

The only solid player you lost was Shaun Rogers. He has all the talent in the world but is fat and lazy. Getting a 3rd rounder is not be at all for trading a DT. If Millan drafts better than he has in the past, you have a good chance of builting around your core players of the future like CJ, Roy Williams, and Ernie Sims.

The problem with the Lions is that they have not drafted very well in the past. It has hurt them on the field but even more so in the salary cap. Mike Williams and Charles Rogers were top 10 picks that cost the Lions a ton of Cap space. They have not been able to attract FAs and when they do, they chose the wrong ones (Damien Woody). I really don't know what to tell you. I think you all have some great young players but you really need to work on your depth. This draft should make or break Millans career as a GM.

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
No only that, they take the only decent running back detroit has seen since barry sanders (Kevin Jones) and cut him, outright! Just plain ol cut a first round draft pick that has done nothing but perform when he wasn't injured.

I'm shocked to hear that come out of a lions fan's mouth.  I hate the guy cuz he screws my fantasy teams - i can't even imagine how frusterated i'd be if i actually cared about the team he played for.

Are we talking about THE kevin Jones who has played in at least 12 games/season yet never rushed for more than 8 touchdowns? THE kevin jones who has never had a yards per carry higher than 3.8 since his rookie year?

At times he has played well, but injuries are a factor in this decision.  The guy is AlWAYS hurt! he hasn't rushed for 700+ yards in 4 years, how are you, as a lions fan, cool with that?

Although i think Millen sucks, maybe it's time to blow up that team and try again.  Take the hefty check that would of gone to kevin jones and disburse it amongst some younger, healthier backs.  Maybe they'll get lucky and find a Ryan Grant in a haystack.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Kevin Jones has always been hurt, but when he's 100% healthy he;s the best running back we've had since Barry Sanders, thats including the immortal James Stewart.

Im with ya on the Kevin Jones frustration come fantasy time, I got absolutely torched in 2006 by wasting a high pick on him so I didn't bite this past season. Thats not to say this kid doesn't have heart or talent, I think he has both.

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88

What in the name of cheez-its H Feist is Matt Millen thinking? Is he already tanking to draft a prospect next season? Where are the freakin cornerbacks?? Millen lets D'Angelo Hall, Rudy Gay, Asante Samuel and even much maligned pac-man jones all go somewhere else. How in gods green earth does this guy still have a job? How??

Rudy Gay would be a pretty phenomenal Wide Receiver

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Randall Gay, excellent pickup.

I also confuse David and Dereck Lee

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
when your QB throws 20 INTS (to just 18 TD's) and fumbles 17 times, you aren't going to be very good.

Lions will probably do something stupid like take Jonathon Stewart in the first round.  Stewart should be a solid back, but the Lions should not be using a first rounder on a running back.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip