Author Topic: Perfect Songs...  (Read 32069 times)

Re: Perfect Songs...
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2008, 11:53:57 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Here's a sublimely beautiful piece by the very odd yet, extremely talented Michael Hedges.  I've been trying to play some of this type of thing for a while.  In many guitar circles, he is viewwed as a profound innovator, much like Jimi or Van Halen, obviously this is quite mellow, but I would also venture to say a perfect piece of music.  Have at it for some mid-day peace of mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTiyg2lmbOE

Ticket, do you have Sonny Rollins' Saxophone Colossus?  WOW!

Hey Allaboutthe Green,

You may really appreciate an album I love, which is Michael Gregory's "The Way We Used to Do"  formerly titled "Cartoon, Cowboys and Assorted Candy....Excellent guitar work and sound and he's got a great voice.    He's out of the jazz realm but it's fairly hard to categorize this album....

« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2008, 12:00:57 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Lets see great thread.
A Day in the Life - The Beatles
Skating Away (On the Thin Ice of a New Day)- Jethro Tull
Doctor Wu - Steely Dan

Trampled Under Foot - Led Zeppelin
Sheep - Pink Floyd
Celluloid Heroes - Th Kinks
Magic Power - Triumph
Just Between You and Me - April Wine
Close to the Edge - Yes
Thick as a Brick(album version) - Jethro Tull
Moondance - Van Morrison
Bargain - The Who

Absolutely 100% agree with those in bold above. 

To everyone:  Do not confuse 'perfection' with 'greatness'.  A song can be great and not perfect.  In fact, the imperfection is exactly what makes many songs great.  My definition of 'perfect' is that it strikes a certain chord within you.  It stirs your soul because every note is exactly where it should be to create an image in your mind and hear of the message the artist is trying to convey.

Again, don't get me wrong.  Some of my favorite songs are not perfect, and that's part of why they are great.  This is the essence of improvisation and interpretation of the music.

My definition of perfection is that, when you're listening to the song, you're unable to imagine anything greater....

« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2008, 12:05:00 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=h8oBykb_Pqs

Apologize by One Republic

Just a really good song that's easy to listen too.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Qm0qM-gqI8

Another Again by John Legend

Just love this song, John Legend is underrated in my opinion.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rySxvJiNhdA

Glory by Lupe Fiasco.

I'm realizing I like Lupe more than I thought. Love how his lyrics have more meaning under the surface.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V3tGU5UpOW8

Feel it in the air by Beanie Sigel.

Just a good song about Paranoia lol, Great Hook, and a couple quotable lines (I feel in the air your not sincere).

« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2008, 02:38:23 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
This is about my generation.

"The National"
"Apartment Story"

- PS everything on this album, basically, is dope. It was the best album of last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnI28bdZylM

This is about being the "other man" I think. It might be about dating a republican.

Voxtrot
"The start of something"

- It gets annoying after a while, but there is something wonderful about telling a story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueFj9V6WWLg

...I could go on for days.

« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2008, 03:11:47 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
This is the KG PERFECT SONG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEAI-LxDsRY

(I forgot to add it.) It is amazingly catchy.

« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2008, 05:02:42 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Pixies: Here Comes Your Man

Btw, they're from Boston  ;)

« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2008, 05:09:27 AM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
No offense, but many of you have a really bad taste in music. 8)

« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2008, 07:29:11 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
No offense, but many of you have a really bad taste in music. 8)

"It's just a matter of opinion!"
Primus/The Heckler

::)

« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2008, 10:50:18 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I was actually thinking about this thread on my to work this morning, and realize I should, nay, must submit this song:

"What a Wonderful World" - Louis Armstrong

While this song was created more 'ignorance' about Armstrong than he probably ever could have imagined, it is still by far his most recognizable song, so I added it on here.  While it is great, from what I've seen, it tends to be so identified with Louis, that people don't realize he actually made his name and legacy by becoming one of the most powerful trumpet players of all time, and fathered the 'modern' style of jazz that would be played for the next 80 years, and counting.

A cool little story about Louis... when he first broke onto the jazz seen, he went into a recording with a small jazz combo (4-5 musicians).  This was a time when the band played in a room together and recorded as a group, in one continuous take.  Well, Louis' trumpet playing was so overpowering and unprecedented, that he had to go into a room across the hall and shut the door in order for the his playing to be balanced with the group.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2008, 11:05:05 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
AZ - The Format
Nas - Got Yourself A Gun
Tupac - Street Fame
Lupe Fiasco - Hip Hop Saved My Life
Jin - Long Winding Roads
Jin - Time Machine
Immortal Technique - Dance With The Devil(really weird song, but its so good at the same time)
Flipsyde - Happy Birthday
Three Days Grace - I Hate Everything About You
Joe Budden - Three Sides To A Story
Big L - Da Graveyard
Jedi Mind Tricks - Uncommon Valor: A Vietnam Story

These are the songs that I recently listened to and can't stop listening to it.

I listened to that song once.  I will never again.  That is probably the most disturbing song I have ever heard.  And that I ever will here.

I get in a bad mood every time I even think about that song.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2008, 12:13:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lupe fiasco?.... really? .... 

Wow.  I don't know if I want to read the rest of this thread or not. 

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2008, 12:44:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Lol what the heck... did someone seriously just list Jin "long winding Road"?

Ok some people might think I'm being a jerk or something, but the premise of this thread was "perfect songs".  I get the whole Lupe Fiasco/Jin thing if you were just listing your personal favs.  But come on.  I understand it's all a matter of personal preference and all.  I have nothing against rap.  I listen to everything.  That devil song was cool by Lupe, but it's nothing new... Stones were doing that in the 60s (glad someone mentioned "Sympathy for the Devil").  And Jin - Long winding road?  Heh.  I remember that dude freestyling on 106 and Park.  Glad he's still around.  But how do you list that song as "perfect".  Might as well just go with the original Beatles version or something...

I'd have trouble adding to this thread unless it was just called "what's in your rotation right now".  On my way to work I listened to "Interpol - Public Pervert", 
Fiona Apple - "Not About Love"
Muse - "Take a Bow"
Ray Charles - "Night Time is the Right Time"
Charles Mingus (I think the song is called II B.S or something)
Jay Z - "U Don't Know"
Shins - "Sleeping Lessons"
and the Three Dog Night version of "Try a Little Tenderness"

I wouldn't call any of them perfect.  :)  Just random songs that were on my playlist.  Some of you have some great taste in music though.  Thanks for the heads up.  It's sort of impossible to really weigh one piece of music over another though.  It's all fantastic.

« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2008, 01:01:55 PM »

Offline TBreezy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
BTW: Mingus' "II BS" is a variation on "Haitian Fight Song" - the album on which it appears "Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus" is a series of alternate takes, all renamed - like "Lester Young" is an alternate take on the standard "Goodbye Pork Pie hat".  In addition to being a top notch bassist and master composer - Charles Mingus was fantastic piano player.

My entry on the list would be Kieth Jarret, "Live at the blue Note" version of "Autumn Leaves". it starts with a piano only reharminization of the head, the band kicks in and they tear through it a couple more times and then start the solos. Traditional over the changes first - but the song has a couple really cool parts,  the bass solo is interesting as is the drums, it also transitions into a modal jam that would make the grateful dead jealous, but the solos conclude with another rehaminization of the head (perfect allusion to the start of the song) played against drone / pedal (not really a pedal) tones in the left hand.  Absolutely brilliant recording.

Another entry might be "'Liz reed" off the allman's "flimore east" classic.

And Nirvana had a number of simple yet perfect tunes. Not to mention, ain't nothing too shabby come out of "Hitsville U.S.A." - and they certainly scored perfect on a number of recordings...

« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2008, 01:40:42 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
BTW: Mingus' "II BS" is a variation on "Haitian Fight Song" - the album on which it appears "Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus" is a series of alternate takes, all renamed - like "Lester Young" is an alternate take on the standard "Goodbye Pork Pie hat".  In addition to being a top notch bassist and master composer - Charles Mingus was fantastic piano player.

My entry on the list would be Kieth Jarret, "Live at the blue Note" version of "Autumn Leaves". it starts with a piano only reharminization of the head, the band kicks in and they tear through it a couple more times and then start the solos. Traditional over the changes first - but the song has a couple really cool parts,  the bass solo is interesting as is the drums, it also transitions into a modal jam that would make the grateful dead jealous, but the solos conclude with another rehaminization of the head (perfect allusion to the start of the song) played against drone / pedal (not really a pedal) tones in the left hand.  Absolutely brilliant recording.

Another entry might be "'Liz reed" off the allman's "flimore east" classic.

And Nirvana had a number of simple yet perfect tunes. Not to mention, ain't nothing too shabby come out of "Hitsville U.S.A." - and they certainly scored perfect on a number of recordings...

Thanks for the info on Mingus.  I actually remember reading that a while back.  The recording of Haitian Fight Song I listened to was a bit slower if I remember correctly.

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2008, 01:42:02 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"