Author Topic: Joe Alexander is a Stud , Celtics need to draft him  (Read 18083 times)

Re: Joe Alexander is a Stud , Celtics need to draft him
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 01:58:22 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
he has an uncanny knack for creating space to get his shot off and has an amazingly solid mid-range game.  i'm impressed, but i wonder how this will translate at the next level for EIGHTY-TWO games.
yea I agree he can get his shot off against pretty much any defender because he gets pretty high on his jump shot and his mid range game is pretty deadly, he has all those little stop and pop moves off the dribble. Bob Knight said last night that he hasn't seen anyone in a long time as good as Alexander at making that mid range pull up jumper because he has the ability of getting defenders off balance because you have to respect his athletic ability and not let him get to the rim because he can finish with authority.

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 03:51:00 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
gotta say alexander is looking awesome right now. 11:00 left vs. duke and he is 7-18 (1-2 3's) with 17 pts and 7 rebounds. and the youtube footage was choppy, but it looked like he took off for that dunk from behind the foul line. that's impressive no matter who you are. even dwight's superman dunk was from a good yard inside the foul line and he was short of the rim and had to throw it in...which was impressive, but not a dunk. and right as i hit send alexander airmails a pull up jumper (9:30 left)

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 03:58:02 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

I have mentioned this guy in other posts, but this kid Joe Alexander from West Virginia is a stud. He is a 6'9 very athletic PF. I have had the chance to see him play a number of times this year and he has really impressed me . He is averaging 16 and 6 for the season but in his last 7 games he has really stepped it up and today he set the Big East tournament record for points in a game with 34. If you think of all the great players that played in the Big East it is very impressive

Last 7 games for Alexander:
VS Providence -21pts, 7 rebs, 3 ast, 1 blk
@   Depaul    -17pts, 3 rebs, 3 ast, 1 blk
@   Uconn     -32pts,10 rebs, 2 ast, 2 blk
VS  Pitt      -32pts, 6 rebs, 2 ast, 2 blk
@   St John's -29pts,10 rebs, 2 ast, 1 blk

Big East Tournament:
VS Providence -22pts, 4 rebs, 6 ast
VS UCONN      -34pts, 7 rebs, 1 ast

Last 7 averages:26.7 PPG,7 Rebs, 2.7 asts, 1 blk

He is not even listed on Draft Express or Nbadraft.net, but I really think this kid could help the celts if he comes out. He is deadly shooter and can also take his man off the dribble easily . He reminds me of a young dirk Nowitzki. I am not saying he will be Nowitzki, but he has those kind of skill sets and is more athletic. Keep an eye out for this kid because I think he is going to win Big East Tournament MVP if he keeps this up.

To follow up since this thread was started:
(pts, rbs, asts, stls, blks, tos)
Vs. zona: 14, 8, 1, 1, 0, 1
vs. georgetown (big east final) 12, 5, 3, 1, 2, 2

He looks pretty good, and i think he'll be higher than 49 next time ford updates his rankings. a lot i bet depends on his real size, and whether he can defend the 3 in the pros. because i don't think he'll be able to play the 4, especially defensively.

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 06:05:02 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Draft Gary Forbes? Man, I don't even think Forbes is the best on Umass. I would take Brower and or Gaffney over Gary Forbes.

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 06:07:39 PM »

Offline thechief22212

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
I have been a manager for providence the last 3 years. joe alexander is no doubt the best big east player at his position that I have seen in my time and yes i have seen and scouted rudy gay, jeff green, luke harangody, torin francis, kelly whitney, and steve novak and our own ryan gomes

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 07:37:37 PM »

Offline sns0274

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
before I start I am not ruling this guy out

Although it is still very early, Not being ranked in the top 100 would tell me no. Camp invitee, maybe.

I will admit that these observations are going off of box scores and limited viewing time in person.

He seems to take some games off, is this lack of focus ir something I am not seeing?

He seems to take a page out of Toines book "volume shooter"

he doesn't hit the 3 at all!! (26%)

I would also like to know at 6'8" and 230 is he playing the 3 or 4 in college?
If he plays the 4, i would say no way, if he plays the 3, we really do not have a need and there will be many that could be available when we draft that are better (Brandon rush, Bill walker, Ryan anderson) to name a couple.

if he plays the 4, I would be more inclined to look at Joey Dorsey, Nathan Jawai and if available Devon Harden.

IMO Danny is going to look at size in this draft unless somebosy gives us a gift. i would be all for inviting this guy to camp, but would think the chances of him actually making the roster is in reallity slim to none.
Guns don't kill people, stupid people with guns kill people

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2008, 09:11:10 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79

I have mentioned this guy in other posts, but this kid Joe Alexander from West Virginia is a stud. He is a 6'9 very athletic PF. I have had the chance to see him play a number of times this year and he has really impressed me . He is averaging 16 and 6 for the season but in his last 7 games he has really stepped it up and today he set the Big East tournament record for points in a game with 34. If you think of all the great players that played in the Big East it is very impressive

Last 7 games for Alexander:
VS Providence -21pts, 7 rebs, 3 ast, 1 blk
@   Depaul    -17pts, 3 rebs, 3 ast, 1 blk
@   Uconn     -32pts,10 rebs, 2 ast, 2 blk
VS  Pitt      -32pts, 6 rebs, 2 ast, 2 blk
@   St John's -29pts,10 rebs, 2 ast, 1 blk

Big East Tournament:
VS Providence -22pts, 4 rebs, 6 ast
VS UCONN      -34pts, 7 rebs, 1 ast

Last 7 averages:26.7 PPG,7 Rebs, 2.7 asts, 1 blk

He is not even listed on Draft Express or Nbadraft.net, but I really think this kid could help the celts if he comes out. He is deadly shooter and can also take his man off the dribble easily . He reminds me of a young dirk Nowitzki. I am not saying he will be Nowitzki, but he has those kind of skill sets and is more athletic. Keep an eye out for this kid because I think he is going to win Big East Tournament MVP if he keeps this up.

Couple of things:

1. Can't take any small forward off the dribble in the NBA-ball handling needs to be developed before he can even think of doing this

2. Won't be available at pick 30 if he comes out this year

Rumor says he's going to test the waters, but he's likely a 2009er and certainly won't fall below 20-25 at worst if he came out...

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2008, 10:04:19 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
Yea..you got it right,J.Alexander is the real deal...saw him play a couple times this season myself.Whoever pick this kid up,will have a good find.

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 11:46:02 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Joe Alexander has indeed climbed up the mocks.  He is now projected to be the #24 overall pick by draft express.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Joe-Alexander-1185/

At 6'8 200 lbs, he is strictly a small forward.  And he lacks the lateral quickness and footspeed to be a SG.
I like the description of him having a good pull up jumper.  But... I'm not sure how the Celtics are going to find time for yet another SF to develop.  PP isn't going anywhere soon.  It would have to be a BPA scenario.

Right now I'm thinking I'd prefer to go after a guy like Chalmers so the Celtics can have a young duo of PGs.

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008, 12:09:02 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I liked what I saw of him in the tourney, only thing is if decent swingmen are a dime a dozen, what does that make prospective swingmen in the NBA? He will definitely be a solid player in the league, but I don't see anyone salivating over him, and he definitely wouldn't play on the C's.

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 12:26:44 AM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
the numbers he is gettin now will be cut to less than half in the nba...

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2008, 07:15:38 AM »

Offline RmbrRuss

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Never get our hands on him unless we made a big trade....and it still would not solve our shortness at Paul Pierce's position...and Alex means Powe and Davis go...( Davis has got to go anyway).

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2008, 11:56:16 PM »

Offline AHHH GiVE mE a bReaK

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 10
haha wow...did anyone else see that random guys pants drop at the 24 second mark??

hahahaha so random

Joe is the man, I'd take him in a heart beat.

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2008, 12:11:33 AM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
6'8 power forward thats hot and cold....yes he is needed in the nba...

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 01:38:01 AM »

Offline EvilEmpire

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Most mock drafts have Joe going somewhere in the middle of the draft so thats a no-go on Joe.