Author Topic: Possible #30 picks  (Read 48170 times)

Re: Possible #30 picks
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2008, 08:58:46 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
this is a copy of my post on january 15 from a similar topic...it was

"really like Jason Thompson...6.10 from Rider and Kyle Weaver....6.6 from Washington st

Both are great defenders and can score....Thompson is a shot rejecter and Weaver can play the point

Thompson is 18 and 35 and Weaver is 33 and 34 on NBA Draft and Draft Express respectively"

I like both those guys too.....I guess it was Chris, or you, who first brought Weaver to my attention.....and Thompson, described as a high character guy with a good motor, seems like a good pick.....some guy's games don't explode until their maturity as people finally kicks in (not saying they were immature before, just not there yet in all the ways necessary), which is another element that makes the draft interesting.....

An interesting thing from the latest nba draft.net mock:  Eric Gordon has gained an inch and O.J. Mayo has shrunk one inch.....!

Also interesting is some of the divergences developing between the two main draft sites.  The main differences in terms of draft position are with:  Brandon Rush, Shan Foster, Kyle Weaver, Courtney Lee, Devon Hardin....and more....the differences are especially interesting in the case of the upperclassmen; you'd think after that much time a bit more consensus would have come about, and maybe it will as the draft approaches...

I still agree with Bill and some others that wing is where the quality will be at #30.  But, as always, mistakes could be made in our wing lust......For example, what about Lester Hudson as a career backup PG for Rondo?  I know we have Pruitt, but Hudson is considered a major defensive presence and scorer....Is he being almost completely overlooked other than a neuron or two from someone at nbadraft.net??  I wouldn't know because I haven't seen him play...just trying to get a read on the buzz like a lot of others....The other big question is whether or not Joey Dorsey will be as good as Ben Wallace.  The leaugue is tired of Big Ben and his deteriorating skills, but it could be a trap to let Big Ben fatigue influence one's Dorsey evaluation....(he'd be Perk's backup at center, which would do I don't know what to Glen Davis, whom I'm a big fan of, as for center Dorsey's much longer.....in the arms)

I'm a fan of drafting the best overall talent, but for this Celtics team, I think they can't go wrong with Kyle Weaver.  If there's no major sliders, he's still the one I'd grab....I think his savvy and mindset for the game will more than make up for being less of a shooter and not as strong as a guy like B Rush.....If I'm wrong about his savvy (overestimating it) then forget it.....

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2008, 10:01:33 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Lester Hudson is a late-bloomer.  So What!  He's a scoring machine with range.

He's only 6'3".  But he's strong with "excellent wingspan".  Bayless is only 6'3".  Gordon is undersized.  Tweeners all.

He's not a pure PG.  Play him at SG next to a large backup PG!  That we sign in the offseason.

We have players like him that are better.  Well, the draft is about increasing the value of your team.  Once he shows off his scoring, and his defense, by the way, we can trade him for, I dunno, Deron Williams ::)

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2008, 10:14:32 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
JR Giddens from New Mexico is the real deal ...

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/J.R.-Giddens-74/

He was a transfer from Kansas (which shows his pedigree) who's had a few "character problems", but if that all checks out, this guy has serious talent.  New Mexico is the college I root for, and Giddens is every bit the player that Danny Granger was.  Giddens is a do-it-all 2 guard, and would be nice guy to groom behind Ray Allen.

« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2008, 10:41:29 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Hansbrough, still listed at 41 ... if he's around at 30, we've got to take him. Kid's got all the skills and one of the best work ethics to come out of college in a long time. Huge in the paint, great jump-shot, amazing defender, great passer, quick feet and sticky mitts, and the first one to go to the floor after a ball ... he's never satisfied with his play and looks at every game as a chance to improve ... love this guy!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2008, 12:16:46 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Hansbrough should only be picked if there's a follow-up trade after getting him... else it would be a waste of a pick.

« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2008, 01:13:05 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Hansbrough should only be picked if there's a follow-up trade after getting him... else it would be a waste of a pick.

Look, no offense to all the naysayers.  But if Hansborough comes out there is ZERO chance that he will be available at 30.  Getting Hansborough will NOT HAPPEN.

Hansborough available at 30 is a fairy tale. A STORY TOLD TO CHILDREN. We will not draft him unless we trade up - and I have know idea how we would do that, or why would want to, since we have 2 players who basically play his position.

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2008, 01:16:59 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
I would really like to have Hansbrough, since I think work ethic is not teachable and he's got plenty of it. He will also have 3 years of college experience. But I doubt he will be available at #30. The Top West teams probably will pick him ahead of us.

Who I really like for the #30 pick is Brandon Rush from Kansas. Most teams probably won't take him because of his knee injury last season, but we know Ainge does (Powe). I would also be content with Douglas-Roberts from Memphis.

But we do know that if we don't find a fitting player who can contribute right away, we will trade the pick for a player who does. Ainge has said so.

« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2008, 07:23:04 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Brandon Rush is the player I'd select if he were there at 30.  With Tony Allen's status up in the air, Rush would be the ideal replacement for him.  Hansbrough would be a nice pick as well, but I think with the current line up, he's the wrong pick for the C's.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2008, 08:50:09 AM »

Offline PointGaurd

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
Of all the players that might slip into our hands I'd like to have these guys in this order.  Mostly because of team need, and I really don't think Psycho T is going to be much of a pro..and we already have BBD, and Powe.  But I'd take him late 1st round, most becuase he might still be there.

Mario Chalmers
Bill Walker
Tyler Hansborough
Chris Douglas-Roberts

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2008, 10:36:14 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
id certainly take a brandon rush if he lasts that long. i think with the tourney hes having though it would be a coup if he was still there. still, stranger things have happened. otherwise i wouldnt necessarily mind a young center like robin lopez from stanford or hardin out of cal. anyone whos seen me in chat during games knows of my affinity for eddie house. id love to have an energy backcourt off the bench next year of house and pruitt both interchangeable handling the ball and scoring off the bench. im also going under the idea that posey will be back next year so we can wait on an athletic defender off the bench. then again at 30 the best talent available reigns. its weird having this kind of discussion about the draft now. where youre almost willing to give the benefit of the doubt on almost anyone they take.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2008, 11:11:56 AM »

Offline PointGaurd

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 8
I'd like to see that guy Bill Walker... he may end up having a better career than Beasley.  Similiar to the way Carter had a better career than Jamison..... hmmm

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2008, 11:55:56 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
For a while now I have been thinking that the best value at the end of the first round is with wings...and I still do to a point, but as the college season has wound down, and I have started to look closer at prospects, I think there are some very viable big men who might be great options for us at 30. 

For me, when you are looking for big men in the C's system, the most important things to look for are mobility, hustle, and intelligence/feel for the game.  With the perimeter players that the C's have, any big man will get a lot of open dunks/layups on offense, so the important thing for them is that they have the mobility and intelligence to play the C's team defense, and the drive to compete like the rest of the team.

From doing a little research, I have found the following guys who COULD be available somewhere around where we are picking.  Some will likely go higher, some might not even be in the draft, but these are the big guys I would look at with #30.

1. Robin Lopez - overshadowed by his brother, who is a much better offensive player, but Robin is the one who can come in and make a difference defensively and on the boards right away.

2. Trent Plaisted - great athlete, who could really surprise some people.  Reminds me a little bit of David Lee coming out of Florida.

3. Ante Tomic - Everyone talks about Thabeet, but Tomic is the real "potential" guy.  He is 7'2", and skilled like a guard.  He is even producing on a major team in Croatia at the age of 21.  He still needs to really put some weight on, but he could be the perfect pick, because he could be stored over in Europe for a couple years, and they could use his salary and roster spot for an extra veteran.  When he comes over, he could be a star.

4. J.J. Hickson - lottery talent, but might come out too early and slide to us.  He has prototypical PF size and athleticism.  Generally I don't like these guys who are all about potential, but I have confidence in anyone learning to play the PF spot on this team.  There is just such a good group to learn from.

5. Javale McGee - Basically in the same boat as Hickson, but is a 7 footer.

Guys like Hibbert and Ogilvy, I wouldn't go near.  I think Ogilvy will be a better player than Hibbert, but I don't think either would be a good fit for this team.

« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2008, 12:05:39 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I would really like to have Hansbrough, since I think work ethic is not teachable and he's got plenty of it. He will also have 3 years of college experience. But I doubt he will be available at #30. The Top West teams probably will pick him ahead of us.

Who I really like for the #30 pick is Brandon Rush from Kansas. Most teams probably won't take him because of his knee injury last season, but we know Ainge does (Powe). I would also be content with Douglas-Roberts from Memphis.

But we do know that if we don't find a fitting player who can contribute right away, we will trade the pick for a player who does. Ainge has said so.

Personally, I'd avoid Hansborough, just don't feel he's going to be a good pro, but I would certainly love to have Rush.  Rush reminds me so much of Paul Pierce.  Douglas-Roberts I'd love to have as well.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2008, 12:07:09 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Personally, I'd avoid Hansborough, just don't feel he's going to be a good pro, but I would certainly love to have Rush.  Rush reminds me so much of Paul Pierce.  Douglas-Roberts I'd love to have as well.

Bill Walker reminds me of Pierce...Rush reminds me of Richard Jefferson.

« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2008, 12:10:29 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I'd take Brandon Rush, but doubt he will be around that late. His stock will climb fast up the charts, he is a solid 2 way 2 guard in the NBA.