Author Topic: Possible #30 picks  (Read 48179 times)

Re: Possible #30 picks
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2008, 02:12:42 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
What I'm seeing is quite a few decent/good 6'6/6'7 SF/SG that may be available, and that's the type of player I would want the Celtics to draft... so I'm liking this draft quite a bit.  Unless there's a Center that's ready to produce right now, we should go for this type of player.

I don't want them to waste a draft pick on a PG... we're fine with Rondo, and the back-up should be filled via free-agency with a vet if possible.

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2008, 02:30:45 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
For a later second round choice, what about Brian "the polar bear" Butch out of the University of Wisconsin?  He does everything well - just v e r y   s l o w l y.

Maybe not NBA material, but he could learn to do one thing extremely well and round out a second unit.

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2008, 04:01:04 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
What I'm seeing is quite a few decent/good 6'6/6'7 SF/SG that may be available, and that's the type of player I would want the Celtics to draft... so I'm liking this draft quite a bit.  Unless there's a Center that's ready to produce right now, we should go for this type of player.

I don't want them to waste a draft pick on a PG... we're fine with Rondo, and the back-up should be filled via free-agency with a vet if possible.

I agree.

If Danny takes a center or a PG, I'll have to assume he knows what he's doing in terms of upside or whatever...
but it seems to me that most of the quality at #30 is between 6'5 and 6'7....

And if he goes after one of the 6' 8 or 6' 9" guys, I'll have to assume he either wants to trade the player or replace either Leon or Glen Davis.....

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2008, 04:19:28 PM »

Offline bringbackcousy

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 20
I think hansbrough will stay for his senior year, he just seems like that kidn of guy. I would absolutley love it if Rush slipped to 30, he is a solid guy all around, so smart and smooth with the ball.

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2008, 02:56:55 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
well if robin lopez keeps up his play he might be a great pick at 30. he's got great size and is still just a sophomore. he had 14/4 with 5 blocks in their easy first round win then in their tough win over marquette he had 18/9 with three blocks. he's big and likes to rebound and block shots. he could be very good. 

Some others who have continued to be intriguing or have just caught my eye:
Joe Alexander, Kyle Weaver (a senior, so he has to come out, good be a perfect TA replacement if he walks), and Tyler Smith.

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2008, 04:22:18 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
I have the same name as in the previous threads on this topic:  Brandon Rush.

The few times I saw him play he looked good.  He looks a little like PP when he was in college.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2008, 06:32:13 PM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79
Wing is the best value position at pick 30...Hansborough is underrated as an NBA prospect, but I think Powe will be just about as good a pro...from what i've seen from Powe this year i'd say the team has a PF to take over from KG in the future, especially considering KG may very well play another 6-8 years, (38yo)...

The players to look for:

-Bill Walker
-Brandon Rush
-Shan Foster
-Courtney Lee
-Sam Young
-JR Giddens (dark horse)

One or more of these players will become starting caliber wings and I can see a few of them developing into top 3 scoring option types...every one of these guys plays defense as well as being able to shoot off the dribble and from the perimeter...

..I think its a lock that Ainge takes a wing at 30, if he stays at 30...

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2008, 07:02:37 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
big fan of courtney lee and what about the Tourney MVP so far...IMO....Stephon Curry

gotta imagine they are both climbing the draft boards...

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2008, 08:17:52 PM »

Offline Chre

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
  • Gordon Bombay
I think Ainge is going to have his pick of a group of 4-year players who drop because of the inevitable early entrants that we aren't considering right now. The real question is whether he goes for someone that can contribute immediately next year on a championship contender, or if he takes a flier on a high-risk/high reward type of player.

Another possibility is trading the pick, but his options will be few and far between I would imagine. Nice to not have to rely on the draft for hope of a player coming in to "save" the team though.
Lookin' at my Gucci, and it's about that time...

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2008, 09:37:45 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
it does seem that celtics are lookin at next season....seem we stackin to make even bigger trades next season....seems like a plan B.....in case A falls through...

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2008, 11:09:30 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Wing is the best value position at pick 30...Hansborough is underrated as an NBA prospect, but I think Powe will be just about as good a pro...from what i've seen from Powe this year i'd say the team has a PF to take over from KG in the future, especially considering KG may very well play another 6-8 years, (38yo)...

The players to look for:

-Bill Walker
-Brandon Rush
-Shan Foster
-Courtney Lee
-Sam Young
-JR Giddens (dark horse)

One or more of these players will become starting caliber wings and I can see a few of them developing into top 3 scoring option types...every one of these guys plays defense as well as being able to shoot off the dribble and from the perimeter...

..I think its a lock that Ainge takes a wing at 30, if he stays at 30...

Bill, I can understand any of those other players being available at 30, but do you really think there is a chance Walker is available there when all is said and done?  It seems like common sense would say that he would either be gone long before that, or he wouldn't be in the draft.  He just has too much talent, and seems to have a game ready built for the NBA...yet, so many draft "experts" keep saying that he may be available.  Do you know if this is based on talking to NBA execs/scouts, and people close to Walker, or is it more speculation?  I am just afraid this is one of those pipedreams that we all have, but changes quickly as soon as the player starts working out for NBA teams.

With that said, I absolutely love Rush, and Lee has become one of my new favorites, after seeing him over the last couple of weeks.  Rush seems to be one of those perfect guys who underperforms in college, but that can be explained a bit by system and injuries, but breaks out when he gets to the pros...and Lee is just a great player that would be a lottery pick if he played for Duke.

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2008, 08:45:27 PM »

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
I haven't seen that much college basketball so I don't know that much about this years prospects, but from the little I've seen I've been impressed with Joey Dorsey. We probably don't need another 6'8" pf, but from what I've seen and read about him, I think he could be a pretty good player. He averages about 10 rebounds in just 25 minutes which is very impressive and rebounding has proven to be a transferable skill into the NBA.

His body type and athleticism reminds me of Dwight Howard, minus a few inches. He is built like a tank yet can jump out of the building. He can be a very good defensive player because he possesses both great strength and athleticism. He is also a pretty good blocker.

His downsides are that he is already 24 and sucks on offense and shoots an abysmal 38% from the free throw line. But at 30 you are not going to get a perfect player and you would hope that Clifford Ray can pull a minor miracle and help him develop some kind of an offensive game.

Do people who have seen more of him feel the same way or did he just play good when I saw him?

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2008, 09:01:08 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm going to echo what a lot of people are saying, and go with Brandon Rush.  I really like his game, and he fits well with our offense.

That being said, if Bill Walker somehow falls to the end of the first round, you have to take him.  He's just got too much talent to pass on.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2008, 09:11:58 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
If Hansborough is available, TAKE HIM.  100%, no doubts, take the dominant, undersized college player with a good attitude and tremendous work ethic.  He'll be the next Big Baby for a couple of years, making semi-spastic hustle plays and gradually improving, but I think he will eventually make a solid pro, especially now that he's developed a decent jump shot, and a better pump-fake the jumpshot and drive move.  He reminds me a lot of Antawn Jamison in college (with more hustle), an undersized PF with an unorthodox shot who steadily becomes more of an outside player as he matures.  I don't think he'll fall that far though; enough GMs have noticed that athletic potential alone isn't what wins games in this league.  Brandon Rush would be a solid backup plan, I think, he's solid and seems like he could improve and take to the NBA game.

Bill Walker needs to be avoided at all costs I think, simply because he screams attitude problem (that Kan St-Wisconsin game he was alternating between scowling, cussing, and pouting all game).  He's got loads of talent, but seems like the sort to immediately start enjoying his money and getting p---y with the vets and coaches when they get on him.  Not only might we have a bust, but Garnett might wind up facing assault charges before the year's up if he comes like that.  We've got a good enough team that we can sacrifice talent for energy and attitude in a draft pick, and I think that rules him out.

2nd rd...don't know if he'll be around, but he seems to have fallen off the radar; AJ Graves from Butler reminds me quite a bit of a young Steve Nash at Santa Clara, and not just for the obvious physical reasons.  Of course, Nash had to improve a LOT for a long time to get where he is, and so will AJ, but I think he's worth a flier, he's got a good work ethic as well. Give him a couple of years to learn the NBA game and develop his ability, and he could at least become a steady backup who makes mostly positive plays and few mistakes, and could possibly become a very good pro.  Well worth gambling with a 2nd for, I think, especially if Pruitt doesn't pan out.

« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
this is a copy of my post on january 15 from a similar topic...it was

"really like Jason Thompson...6.10 from Rider and Kyle Weaver....6.6 from Washington st

Both are great defenders and can score....Thompson is a shot rejecter and Weaver can play the point

Thompson is 18 and 35 and Weaver is 33 and 34 on NBA Draft and Draft Express respectively"