Author Topic: Possible #30 picks  (Read 48033 times)

Re: Possible #30 picks
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2008, 07:22:20 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
It would be truly foolish not to go after Hansbrough, especially for "won't take much wear off Garnett" type rationale ... we're building for a future here, one that, unfortunately, won't have KG in it ... Tyler's the whole package, is more "physical" than most I've seen in a while, and would be a steal at 30!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2008, 07:26:01 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
There seems to be a thread every other day on this topic.

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2008, 08:10:57 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
 have another guy that i like :

Courtney Lee from western Kentucky

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2008, 08:47:57 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Look, I like Hansbrough, and I know it's usually unwise to draft need over best prospect available. But this late in the draft, if two prospects look like they have equal pro potential, why not take the one that fills a team need? After all, Garnett, Pierce and Allen are still playing at a high level, and Allen's contract could be a valuable piece to use via trade to add a talented, younger player to the team.

Regardless, I'm not sure what Hansbrough would give the C's that they can't get from Powe or Davis. What does Hansbrough have that Gomes didn't? Gomes was a 20 and 8 guy in college. Powe was a 20 and 10. Davis an 18 and 10. Hansbrough's had a huge jump this year, to 23 and 10, but one year upswings are unreliable indicators. What does he have that the three aforementioned don't? Other than exposure on a great team with other NBA-caliber players?

That's why, at number 30, I'd lean toward someone with true size like ogilvy (who also tests stat-wise as a very good pro prospect).

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2008, 09:47:05 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Look, I like Hansbrough, and I know it's usually unwise to draft need over best prospect available. But this late in the draft, if two prospects look like they have equal pro potential, why not take the one that fills a team need? After all, Garnett, Pierce and Allen are still playing at a high level, and Allen's contract could be a valuable piece to use via trade to add a talented, younger player to the team.

Regardless, I'm not sure what Hansbrough would give the C's that they can't get from Powe or Davis. What does Hansbrough have that Gomes didn't? Gomes was a 20 and 8 guy in college. Powe was a 20 and 10. Davis an 18 and 10. Hansbrough's had a huge jump this year, to 23 and 10, but one year upswings are unreliable indicators. What does he have that the three aforementioned don't? Other than exposure on a great team with other NBA-caliber players?

That's why, at number 30, I'd lean toward someone with true size like ogilvy (who also tests stat-wise as a very good pro prospect).

I agree to a point...I just think that if Hansbrough is available, I don't think anyone else would be close to equal to him.  I have Hansbrough as one of the top 10-15 players in the draft, and I expect him to be a tremendously productive role player in the league almost immediately.

Yes, he has a similar game to Powe and Davis, but I actually see him as a superior player to both of them, and would allow you to move one of them to hopefully fill a need.

But its probably a moot point anyways.  Although I expect him to slip lower than he deserves, I would be amazed if he did slip all the way to 30.

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2008, 10:12:18 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I doubt Ogilvy will come out this year.  He still makes a lot of little mistakes and could really pump up his game with a couple more good seasons at Vanderbilt.  Also, he's a bit undersized for a center and isn't athletic enough to play PF, so the more time he gets to bulk up and improve his speed/moves will only have a positive effect and earn him some guaranteed money.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2008, 10:54:58 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
Yea Ogilvy would most likely stay in college. I think a real possible option would be fellow Aussie Nathan Jawai, who is 19 I think, playing in the NBL. His game is based on power while Ogilvy is based a bit more on finesse, similar to Andrew Bogut.

I compare Ogilvy to a less-developed Andrew Bogut (at the moment) while Nathan Jawai to a poor man's version of Dwight Howard type player in a taller Craig Smith type body.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 11:20:39 PM by kw10 »
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2008, 11:47:12 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'm fully willing to admit that ya'll might be right, and Hansbrough could end up being the obvious choice at #30. If Danny picks him, i'll talk myself into him 100%. And i'm not one of those insanely stubborn people that can't change their mind or admit error.

It's just that at this point I'm not sold on the Hansbrough type as that valuable to draft. It seems to me like most of the excitement about undersized fours that were successful having success in the pros is based on several years of undersized fours having little or no success in the NBA; now they are regularly successful, the secret is out, and there are a ton of them. in the minute of this post, i can think of Gomes, haslem, Powe, Davis, Bass, Diogu, David West, Craig Smith, Milsap, turiaf, jeff green if you count him, and maxiell that just pop into my mind as successful undersized fours. basically, i'm just not super surprised or impressed any more when an undersized 4 who was very good in college exceeds "expectations" and becomes a little bit above average NBA forward. There's tons of them out there, Danny finds them in the second round, why spend a first rounder on one, especially when we may be about to sign a rapidly improving Powe to a nice,cheap extension and already have Davis as well? If we do draft Hansbrough, i'd prefer to trade him to a more enamored team for a greater need, that i could see.

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2008, 01:07:48 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
I think a lot of guys mentioned like Alexander, Walker, won't be wiling to come out if they are 30th. For more of wild card, I like Sam Young out of Pittsburgh or Shaun James out of Duquene. They are both older and might have to come out. Young is a tough guy 3 who can lean on someone when he has to and can catch and shoot. (limited ball handler). James is a serious shot blocker 4. Both are role players but can be good in those roles. I think they both would fit in with the celtics. I can imagine for instance of BB playing the 5 and James the 4 with him with the second team.

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2008, 01:23:47 PM »

Offline galen

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 15

I agree to a point...I just think that if Hansbrough is available, I don't think anyone else would be close to equal to him.  I have Hansbrough as one of the top 10-15 players in the draft, and I expect him to be a tremendously productive role player in the league almost immediately.

Yes, he has a similar game to Powe and Davis, but I actually see him as a superior player to both of them, and would allow you to move one of them to hopefully fill a need.

But its probably a moot point anyways.  Although I expect him to slip lower than he deserves, I would be amazed if he did slip all the way to 30.

Hansbrough is definitely better than both Powe and BBD.  He dominates the ACC, which may be the top conf. in the NCAA.  He is also now the Player of the Year.  He is probably a hybrid to Powe and BBD, with Powe's toughness/physicality and BBD's scoring touch and soft hands.  He is also a  much better mid range shooter than either of our guys.

Still, I'm not sure he is enough better to warrant taking him (although I highly doubt he'd drop to #30).  He will be a successful pro, but probably not an allstar.

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2008, 01:26:54 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I have the same name as in the previous threads on this topic:  Brandon Rush.

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2008, 01:32:52 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Hansbrough is definitely better than both Powe and BBD.  He dominates the ACC, which may be the top conf. in the NCAA.  He is also now the Player of the Year.  He is probably a hybrid to Powe and BBD, with Powe's toughness/physicality and BBD's scoring touch and soft hands.  He is also a  much better mid range shooter than either of our guys.

Still, I'm not sure he is enough better to warrant taking him (although I highly doubt he'd drop to #30).  He will be a successful pro, but probably not an allstar.

Wait, so who would you take over him at 30 that would be an All-Star?

Honestly at #30, you are lucky if a player doesn't wash out of the league within 5 years, let alone is a productive rotation guy.

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2008, 02:40:15 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Tyler Hansbrough is starting to remind me of Josh Howard when it was Howard's turn to enter the draft.  The guy dominated the ACC, will be the ACC player of the year this year and can clearly play the game.  If he drops to us, the Celtics need to draft this guy.  There will not be another player of his caliber there.  He reminds me a lot of Carlos Boozer the way he plays.  He's got a similar build to Boozer as well.  He's a legit 6'9.  I just don't see why people have this guy in the bottom 15 of the first round.  It makes ZERO sense to me.
do it

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2008, 02:43:54 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I would love to see Tyler in green, it would make my year, but I'd honestly be shocked if he's still around at 30.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2008, 03:24:10 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Tyler Hansbrough is starting to remind me of Josh Howard when it was Howard's turn to enter the draft.  The guy dominated the ACC, will be the ACC player of the year this year and can clearly play the game.  If he drops to us, the Celtics need to draft this guy.  There will not be another player of his caliber there.  He reminds me a lot of Carlos Boozer the way he plays.  He's got a similar build to Boozer as well.  He's a legit 6'9.  I just don't see why people have this guy in the bottom 15 of the first round.  It makes ZERO sense to me.

He doesn't have "Tremendous Upside Potential".  He is just a really good basketball player.  Only guys with TUP end up in the lottery...and generally about half the teams regret it.