Author Topic: Was the loss in the Super Bowl the beginning of the end for the Patriots?  (Read 12342 times)

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
It comes to the end when Brady retires or just starts to lose effectiveness. I think he has at least four years left..

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Of course it's not.  Well-run football and basketball teams are never finished as long as their "alpha dogs" and their front offices are intact and playing well.  The Spurs will never stop winning with an effective Duncan and Popovich.  The Colts will never stop winning with an effective Peyton, Dungy and Polian.  The Pats will never stop winning with an effective Tommy, Belichick, and Pioli.

Because of the salary caps in both sports, the smarter teams will always be good.  The Pats and Colts are smarter than any other teams in the NFL, and the Spurs are smarter than any other team in the NBA.  It's how they maneuver under the cap and always keep the guys that are most important.  The focal point in my theory that the hard salary cap hurts parity more than it helps.

If you're worried about the Samuel exodus, read Sal Paolantonio's article about D'Angelo Hall.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=paolantonio_sal&id=3342009&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos1

It's seems pretty [dang]ing of Hall and other "top flight" corner backs, but to sum it up: "Effective pass defense starts with an effective pass rush NOT cornerbacks."  His best point is made when he discusses the Super Bowl, although at that point I lost my spot and had to pick it up a few paragraphs later.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.