Author Topic: Was the loss in the Super Bowl the beginning of the end for the Patriots?  (Read 12461 times)

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
I'm not freaking out...just bringing up a theory because I'm bored haha.

We go 18-0 before getting our hearts broken in the Super Bowl losing to a less superior team.  Let's see what has happened since then...

-Spygate still won't go away and we're still waiting to hear what Matt Walsh has to say
-Asante Samuel signs with the Eagles
-Donte Stallworth isn't coming back
-Our linebacking core is still old and only getting older
-Kevin Faulk gets arrested for marijuana possession
-The Patriots still haven't signed Randy Moss

I know that it will never be truly the end as long as Tom Brady is the QB of this team...but if we don't sign Moss, I'm predicting that this all could be a sign of the fallen warrior.

Re: Was the loss in the Super Bowl the beginning of the end for the Patriots?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »

Offline Cooldude5t5

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 36
They have the 7th pick
Moss is not going anywhere
Asante was not worth the ridiculous contract he got
They will nab at least 2 high impact free agents just like they do every year
They have the best offense in the NFL by far.

I think they will be just fine and go 15-1, 14-2 next year and be in the hunt again next year.

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 06:22:16 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
They have the 7th pick
Moss is not going anywhere
Asante was not worth the ridiculous contract he got
They will nab at least 2 high impact free agents just like they do every year
They have the best offense in the NFL by far.

I think they will be just fine and go 15-1, 14-2 next year and be in the hunt again next year.

Cooldude says it perfectly.

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 06:33:47 PM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
i kinda agree with you, but we are all overracting. the pats will be in the hunt for the next 4-5 years, but if i had to wager, i think they are done winning titles.

i hope i am wrong.

one good free agent signing and we will all be planning the parade for next year, though. that is the nature of sports fans, myself included.

also, the faulk arrest is disapointing, but is very, very minor. i wish athletes did not do this kind of stuff, but getting caught with 4 joints on your possesion is pretty minor stuff.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 06:48:15 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
They still have #7 pick. Are looking like they will resign Moss. After they sign Moss for about 10 mil a year they will have about 10-15 mil left to fill out the Roster. I suspect they will try to sign Ty Law as a #2 Corner Back and move Ellis Hobbs to the 3rd CB in the nickel defense. I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats go after DeAngelo Hall with a future 1st or a 2nd this year. I know he has been somewhat of a trouble maker at times on the field, but there is no Doubt the guy can play.

If the Pats can A) sign Moss to 10 mil for 3 years
                B) sign Ty Law for about 3-5 Mil
                C) Make a trade for DeAngelo Hall
                D) trade the 7th Pick for maybe #15-20 in the  1st round and maybe a 3rd round pick.

They will be a very good team if they can make 3 out of these 4 moves or do something similar .

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 06:55:02 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
They still have #7 pick. Are looking like they will resign Moss. After they sign Moss for about 10 mil a year they will have about 10-15 mil left to fill out the Roster. I suspect they will try to sign Ty Law as a #2 Corner Back and move Ellis Hobbs to the 3rd CB in the nickel defense. I wouldn't mind seeing the Pats go after DeAngelo Hall with a future 1st or a 2nd this year. I know he has been somewhat of a trouble maker at times on the field, but there is no Doubt the guy can play.

D) trade the 7th Pick for maybe #15-20 in the  1st round and maybe a 3rd round pick.

They will be a very good team if they can make 3 out of these 4 moves or do something similar .

I like the plan, who are you trading for DeAngelo?

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 07:03:59 PM »

Offline Sweet17

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
The key in football is not overpaying for talent. I think the Pats in general have been pretty good at this. Stallworth would cost a fortune and BB thinks he can be replaced. It's the same with Asante.. And let's face it Asante is on everyones bad list for dropping the superbowl winning interception. Ty Law would never do that.. Ty Law was clutch.

Pete

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 07:04:18 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

I like the plan, who are you trading for DeAngelo?
Well John Clayton said the situation has turned ugly so they will not be able to get as much for DeAngelo Hall as they would have before he demanded to be traded. So I would say it would probably take at least a 3rd or 4th rd pick for him . I would even give up a 2nd rounder probably.  Last year we got Moss for a 4th round pick so you know you can get a player for cheaper if the team he's on just wants to get rid of him and we saw how good Moss turned out.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 07:16:14 PM by rondohondo »

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 07:06:27 PM »

Offline Riles335

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Cooldude is right on.

Also lets not forget that Faulk was tested for Marijuana after he was found with possession of Marijuana and passed the drug test. He said that he was borrowing a friends coat and he didn't know they were in there. I believe him after passing his drug test. Either way, its a mute point in the long run.   

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 07:50:26 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Well John Clayton said the situation has turned ugly so they will not be able to get as much for DeAngelo Hall as they would have before he demanded to be traded. So I would say it would probably take at least a 3rd or 4th rd pick for him . I would even give up a 2nd rounder probably.  Last year we got Moss for a 4th round pick so you know you can get a player for cheaper if the team he's on just wants to get rid of him and we saw how good Moss turned out.

Rumor has it that the Giants might give up their #1 for Hall.  I think that's overpaying, but that was the rumor, at least as of about a week ago.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 09:34:22 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
-Spygate still won't go away and we're still waiting to hear what Matt Walsh has to say

Spygate HAS gone away.  Specter isn't in the news tooting his own horn anymore, because there is nothing new and because the owners, collectively, want to put it all behind them. Oh, and because his real objective was achieved (rattle BB right before the Super Bowl).

Regarding draft picks to use for trading (possibly for Hall as suggested), the Pats have a high #3 that could be used.  I am very curious to see what happens with the #7 pick.  I have seen rumors that McFadden is falling on draft boards, so if he, or QB Ryan, fall to #7 there could be a situation where the Pats trade down.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline PrimusSucks

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 88
I highly doubt we get anywhere near Darren McFadden. He is probably the best overall player in this draft. However, if he does fall to #7 it could be very good for us. The cowboys are the only team with 2 first rounders this season, and rumor has it that Jerry Jones is in love with McFadden.

I'd prefer to see us go with a defensive player anyway. After overhauling last year's offense it appears that it's time to do the same with the defense.

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Beginning of the end?!? I've heard of pessimism, but that's way beyond half-empty! This season was a tweak, and a choke by a great team, but not remotely close to the beginning of the end ... geez!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Offline speedster

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
Just to add a couple more points...

1) The OL and DL are completely intact and signed for a couple years.
2) The "Greatest Offense of All-Time" is returning all of it's starters(assuming the expected Gaffney re-sign)
3) Plenty of cap space and draft picks to bolster the defense
4) Vegas still has them as heavy favorites to win next year's Superbowl

Barring major injuries, the Patriots are going to be amongst the elite teams for a few years.

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Actually the offense isn't returning all of its starters because Donte Stallworth signed with the Browns.  Have they resigned Gaffney?  I hope so.

They'll have Sammy Morris back, and that's a big plus. Will Dave Thomas be 100%?  If so, that's another plus.  Thomas is like Welker: he just knows how to play football.

They need an inside linebacker (or maybe two) and a cornerback.  Even if they added literally no one they would win the weak AFC East and be a playoff team. As it is, the have the 7th pick in the draft, plus their second rounder (#62) and third rounder (#94), plus plenty of cap space to go after FAs.  They'll be fine.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 11:44:21 AM by Brickowski »