Author Topic: Al Jefferson (Official discusion thread for the 07/08 season)  (Read 41477 times)

Re: Al Jefferson (Official discusion thread for the 07/08 season)
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2008, 09:52:56 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Big Al has 24  points in the first half against the suns tonight. I'll keep yall posted on this

30 by end of the 3rd.  Keep it up Big Al!  On target for a 40 pt game!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2008, 10:12:51 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
He has 36 right now and is getting trippled every time he touches the ball, I mean the defense is blitzing him. There is still 5 minutes left so maybe he will, I hope he can get atlesat 40

« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2008, 10:18:59 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
He has 39 with 2 minutes left

« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2008, 10:27:40 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Last time I checked, Al Jefferson is no longer a Celtic. Also, when he was a Celtic, the Celtics were a horrible team.  So, why are we still talking about him instead of concentrating on the current Celtics and enjoying their best season since the late 50's?!!!! 

Also isn't the record of Al Jefferson current team the worse in the NBA?

« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2008, 10:34:52 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
Im enjoying watching this Celtics team, I talk abot them alot.
I also like watching Big Al develop and im sure there are atleast 100 people on here that about him as well. He should get talked about when he has his career game.

« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2008, 10:35:27 PM »

Offline chrismihm

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
if you dont care about al jefferson stay out of the al jefferson thread... Al will always be loved because we saw him develop into a great player and because he loved being a celtic.  I for one am VERY excited to be in the garden when he makes return this friday.  If you loved the celtics last year you should love Big Al.

« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2008, 10:37:16 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
Last time I checked, Al Jefferson is no longer a Celtic. Also, when he was a Celtic, the Celtics were a horrible team.  So, why are we still talking about him instead of concentrating on the current Celtics and enjoying their best season since the late 50's?!!!! 

Also isn't the record of Al Jefferson current team the worse in the NBA?

Why are you wasting time reading and replying to this thread and not concentrating on the Celtics?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:01:52 PM by CoachCowens »

« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2008, 10:40:21 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Al Jefferon is easily the best power forward in the west. And arguably the best in the game.

« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2008, 10:23:35 AM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
Al Jefferson is not the best overall power forward cuz that goes to kg, but in terms of offensive talent he is defnitely top two or three in the whole league. Probably u saw the best two last nite in him and amare staudamire. The wolves are slowly coming along and they are lucky not to have doc as their coach.

If they can get a decent defensive minded center either by next years draft or a guy like jeff foster they will be hard to play against.  I wish them well

« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2008, 10:41:53 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Al Jefferon is easily the best power forward in the west. And arguably the best in the game.

Offensively, the man is right up there with just about anyone.  But the name "Zach Randolph" has been used in relation to Big Al's defensive efficacy, and that is a very large danger sign.  He doesn't move very well, particularly laterally, and for all the work he has put in to make himself a dominant offensive force, it appears at times that very little of that focus has been put on the other end.  He'll need to do that before he becomes truly elite, although he is no doubt a budding star, and I'm thrilled to watch him develop.

As of now, Boozer and Duncan (among perhaps a couple of others) get my nod of Big Al.  That's no disrespect; just a part of the growing process for him.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2008, 10:55:53 AM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36

Offensively, the man is right up there with just about anyone.  But the name "Zach Randolph" has been used in relation to Big Al's defensive efficacy, and that is a very large danger sign.  He doesn't move very well, particularly laterally, and for all the work he has put in to make himself a dominant offensive force, it appears at times that very little of that focus has been put on the other end.  He'll need to do that before he becomes truly elite, although he is no doubt a budding star, and I'm thrilled to watch him develop.

As of now, Boozer and Duncan (among perhaps a couple of others) get my nod of Big Al.  That's no disrespect; just a part of the growing process for him.

-sw

I cannot believe you would compare him to Zach!!    Sure....they both have deficiencies on defense but unlike Zach, Big Al DOES NOT COME WITH THE "BAGGAGE" THAT ZACH DOES.   AND NEVER WILL, IMO.   *THAT* right there vaults him way over Randolph.....

« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2008, 11:06:13 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

-sw

I cannot believe you would compare him to Zach!!    Sure....they both have deficiencies on defense but unlike Zach, Big Al DOES NOT COME WITH THE "BAGGAGE" THAT ZACH DOES.   AND NEVER WILL, IMO.   *THAT* right there vaults him way over Randolph.....

I think that perhaps I wasn't as clear as I should have been.  I wasn't comparing Jefferson to Randolph as a player or as a character in any regard.  Overall, there is no contest between him.  But it is folks in Minnesota (I believe it was Britt Robson of The Rake, but I'll try and get you a link) are reporting that Jefferson's defense has been compared to that of Zach Randolph.  As I wrote "in relation to Al's defensive efficacy."  Randolph is a putrid defender, and as of now, so is Al.  I'll hope that it isn't for the same reason -- Z-Bo is a no-effort guy; I can't imagine that being the case with Al.  If you've read my work here, you'll know that I hate having to put the names in the same sentence (I'm no Z-Bo fan), but the point was that Jefferson's defense needs to take a quantum leap forward before we can classify him as the West's best power forward, bar none.  That's all.  No other comparisons to Zach apply.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2008, 11:22:25 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
It's interesting on Big Al's defense, looking at the numbers on 82games.com.  When he's used as a power forward, his defense looks pretty decent; he's holding opposing players to a 46.9% fg%, and his opponent's PER is 15.9, which isn't bad at all.  He holds his man to per-48 averages of 18.6 points and 9.9 rebounds.  Those aren't spectacular numbers, but in terms of defense, that's probably above-average.

The problem is that the Twolves use Big Al primarily as a center, where his numbers are pretty bad.  Opposing players shoot 56.1% against Big Al from the center position, and he is giving up 15.5 rebounds per 48 minutes (and pulling down 15.1, which suggests that as a center, Big Al is actually getting outrebounded.)  The scoring numbers aren't so bad -- 18.1 points per 48 -- but the PER is terrible: 20.8.

As always, these numbers are subject to the usual flaws; just because an opposing center puts up big stats when Big Al was in the game does not necessarily imply it was his fault. A lot comes down to defense scheme, and I'm not sure how closely 82games.com scrutinizes actual matchups to make sure these numbers are accurate.  Still, the above would suggest that Big Al has a long way to go before becoming an adequate defensive center, which is probably to be expected since it's not his most natural position.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2008, 05:49:32 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
hobbs yeah 82 games has these data but other than al jefferson up front they have nobody in minny. In fact i don't think they have anyone else over 6'10. Al definitely needs a partner up front

I know we have garnett and we are playing amazing so far, but i still have this big curiosity how decent a more experienced al, gomes, telfair would have played with pierce + 5th pick or ray allen.

al is awsome and enjoyable to watch

« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2008, 05:57:11 PM »

Offline sexyscottish

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 217
I still can't wait to see if we can bring Al back in 5 years.  Hopefully he would be willing to come back home.
"Sometimes it seems like you love this team more than me."--my wife during many a Celtics game.  Thank God she can't read my mind.  ;0)