Author Topic: Al Jefferson (Official discusion thread for the 07/08 season)  (Read 41470 times)

Re: Let The Al Jefferson LovePour In
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2007, 03:46:57 AM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
I liked Big Al as a player.  I know he is no longer a Celtic but he is one of my favorite players to watch.  I root for the Celtics above all but I like to  watch some of my favorite players when its an off day or a late game on tv.  It will be interesting to see if he ever does become an All-star player.  I think he will but I've read some posts here that have had some argument to that. 

« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2007, 05:01:49 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I thought we'd win 50-55 wins with Al on board as long as we dumped the youth. And if we got a quality starter for Theo we'd be around 60 wins and similar enough to where we are with KG (less D, more O).

Ray Allen and the dumping of the youth would make that much of a difference, plus some old fashioned good health.

Man that youth bugs the heck out of me, I feel sorry for Sota every time I see them play. Catastrohpic collection of players similar to NY. Just can't function together.

« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2007, 07:40:21 AM »

Offline connerhenry43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 163
I wish we could all just realize that Al Jefferson is no longer a Celtic and therefore is no longer our concern. What our record without KG and with Jefferson would look like is irrelevant.

i disagree. i keep an eye on big al and the wolves and hope they all play great. their record stinks, but i hope they improve. i think everyone is happy with KG, and happy with that trade, but i wish the best for gomes, big al, and gerald. i am even happy that telfair is showing signs of improvement.
"Maybe now you'll never slime a guy with a positron collider, huh?"

« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2007, 08:37:11 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I thought we'd win 50-55 wins with Al on board as long as we dumped the youth. And if we got a quality starter for Theo we'd be around 60 wins and similar enough to where we are with KG (less D, more O).

Ray Allen and the dumping of the youth would make that much of a difference, plus some old fashioned good health.

Can't say I agree.  Adding Ray Allen and another vet or so in exchange for the youth does not make a 24-win team into a 60-win team, no matter what the health situation.  However, I do agree that if you want to speculate, then the place to work from is to assume that the Ray Allen deal happens but another smaller deal instead of the KG deal happens.

The interesting question here regarding if the C's had AJ instead of KG is who else would they have?

RR, RA, PP, and KP would all be there.  But Posey, House and Pollard probably wouldnt, and they have been contributors.  Would DA have been able to pull of a trade with the other chips involved in the trade?  Who knows.  I think thats the real x factor when trying to determine just how good the trade was.

A lineup of RR RA PP AK and AJ could have been something good.  There were some (semi) realistic trade ideas getting Gasol here without losing Jefferson...

That sounds very realistic but I still think you're looking at a 50-win team at best.  You just can't underestimate what KG has brought to this team.

« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2007, 08:45:14 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I wish we could all just realize that Al Jefferson is no longer a Celtic and therefore is no longer our concern. What our record without KG and with Jefferson would look like is irrelevant.

i disagree. i keep an eye on big al and the wolves and hope they all play great. their record stinks, but i hope they improve. i think everyone is happy with KG, and happy with that trade, but i wish the best for gomes, big al, and gerald. i am even happy that telfair is showing signs of improvement.
I agree, there's no reason to not be sentimental and to wish these guys all the best.  I had my sights set on Al Jefferson prior to the draft, hoping Ainge would pick him.  I have a full game tape of a LVSL game just prior to the start of his rookie season.  I hope it's worth some money someday.  I still like Ryan Gomes and hope the C's can get him back at some point.  As for Telfair, I'm also happy that he seems to be turning a corner.  I've always felt a bit of attachment to him as I was born in Brooklyn, not far from Coney Island.

« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »

Offline chrismihm

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
I refuse to just forget Big Al.  I just got tickets to the twolves at celtics game for christmas, cant wait to see the reaction he gets when the lineups are announced.

« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2007, 10:32:01 AM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
I wish Al the best, but there is no looking back. I'll check the boxscores almost every night to see how Big Al, Gomes & Telfair are doing, but no regrets...not even close.

« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2007, 04:36:13 PM »

Offline PSquared

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
I refuse to just forget Big Al.  I just got tickets to the twolves at celtics game for christmas, cant wait to see the reaction he gets when the lineups are announced.

Personally, I'm more interested in the reaction that Antoine gets when he comes off the bench during the game.... ;)

The journey back to Celtic Glory started with HIM and I hope he gets the applause he deserves.....before we pound his team.  ;)

Re: Al Jefferson (Official discusion thread for the 07/08 season)
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2007, 06:57:59 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Dwight Howard vs. Big AL

23.1 14.9 2.7

20.3 12.3 1.3

Dwight has him beat but also has enough help where he's not triple teamed like AL is. 

Dwight is better defensively by a landslide. 

But Howard can't play in crunch time, he can't get his own shot off and he can't shoot free throws. 

Howard is going to need a Kobe, Wade type in order to be succesful in the playoffs. 

Dwight's playing with some Vets.  AL is playing with Telfair. 

I'm not saying Al's better...I'm saying I bet AL wins a championship before Dwight.  And that I'd rather build a team around AL.   

Big Al Jefferson Getting No Love
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2008, 09:22:15 PM »

Offline Tommy

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • GINO
I was recently snooping around the most recent NBA All-Star votes, and not surprising whatsoever, Al Jefferson is not in the top 9 for either forwards or centers. People who are ahead? Luis Scola, Andris Biedrins, the list goes on and on, and quite frankly, I am extremely upset. This once again proves my point that the All Star Game is a popularity contest, and nothing more than that.

Al is having his best year yet, and is singlehandedly tearing apart the western conference power forward position. In my opinion, he is the best low post player in the league. Yet, he does not even get a nod with regards to the All Star Game? that is ridiculous.

on a side note, i think it is funny that Vince Carter and Gilbert Arenas are 4 and 5 on the guards list, in front of players like Michael Redd and Chauncey Billups, who are not only actually playing right now (unlike Gil) but are also good all around players.

On another side note, i think the fact that Yi Jianlian is 5th in forward votes ahead of caron butler and other PROVES that asia and china has a huge role in the nba market.

All in All, the NBA All Star Game is a total and complete failure.

Re: Big Al Jefferson Getting No Love
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2008, 09:27:51 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I think that the Ballot's should be limited to players that can truly be considered above average or all-stars. Or they should have some type of Criteria statistically that would limit bumlimited players from making the list. I wasn't shocked about Al getting no love until you said Scola was ahead. At the very least players should be obligated to play a certain amount of games to make the ballot.

« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2008, 09:28:30 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
China has a huge affect on the voting. Yi is 5th among EC forwards and thats as a write in candidate. If they put him on the ballot next year, he starts ahead of either KG or LeBron which would be a travesty.

« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2008, 09:32:38 PM »

Offline threzd

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
I thought everyone already knew it was a popularity contest

« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2008, 09:17:07 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
Big Al has 24  points in the first half against the suns tonight. I'll keep yall posted on this

« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2008, 09:21:37 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Big Al has 24  points in the first half against the suns tonight. I'll keep yall posted on this
They were 20 piecing the Suns there. Let the lead slip a bit at the end of the quarter. Be interesting to see if they can hang on. Wolves have played pretty well the last few games, although with little reward.