Author Topic: Al Jefferson (Official discusion thread for the 07/08 season)  (Read 41490 times)

Re: Al Jefferson (Official discusion thread for the 07/08 season)
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2008, 06:16:16 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
hobbs yeah 82 games has these data but other than al jefferson up front they have nobody in minny. In fact i don't think they have anyone else over 6'10. Al definitely needs a partner up front

I know we have garnett and we are playing amazing so far, but i still have this big curiosity how decent a more experienced al, gomes, telfair would have played with pierce + 5th pick or ray allen.

al is awsome and enjoyable to watch

They do have someone over 6'10....Michael Doleac.   :P

« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2008, 07:18:10 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
It's interesting on Big Al's defense, looking at the numbers on 82games.com.  When he's used as a power forward, his defense looks pretty decent; he's holding opposing players to a 46.9% fg%, and his opponent's PER is 15.9, which isn't bad at all.  He holds his man to per-48 averages of 18.6 points and 9.9 rebounds.  Those aren't spectacular numbers, but in terms of defense, that's probably above-average.

The problem is that the Twolves use Big Al primarily as a center, where his numbers are pretty bad.  Opposing players shoot 56.1% against Big Al from the center position, and he is giving up 15.5 rebounds per 48 minutes (and pulling down 15.1, which suggests that as a center, Big Al is actually getting outrebounded.)  The scoring numbers aren't so bad -- 18.1 points per 48 -- but the PER is terrible: 20.8.

As always, these numbers are subject to the usual flaws; just because an opposing center puts up big stats when Big Al was in the game does not necessarily imply it was his fault. A lot comes down to defense scheme, and I'm not sure how closely 82games.com scrutinizes actual matchups to make sure these numbers are accurate.  Still, the above would suggest that Big Al has a long way to go before becoming an adequate defensive center, which is probably to be expected since it's not his most natural position.

His defensive numbers were the same last year. Good as a forward, bad as a center.

« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2008, 09:12:31 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
How about a 40 point 19 rebound in a win against the Nets. Wow, he is making a bid to take Boozers spot on the all star team.

« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2008, 09:15:16 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
How about a 40 point 19 rebound in a win against the Nets. Wow, he is making a bid to take Boozers spot on the all star team.
Complete with a 2 for 2 from the FT line with 6 seconds to go to ice it :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2008, 09:19:52 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
There is an interesting thread on the Twolves board over at RealGM.  It was started by a guy called Kingly who apparently knows Big Al.  The thread is about the trash talk coming from KG in the game but it points out the Al wants another big to play with.  It goes on to say he feels he is playing 2 on 1 when going for rebounds. 

« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2008, 09:22:44 PM »

Offline MVPPierceNoJoke

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
There is an interesting thread on the Twolves board over at RealGM.  It was started by a guy called Kingly who apparently knows Big Al.  The thread is about the trash talk coming from KG in the game but it points out the Al wants another big to play with.  It goes on to say he feels he is playing 2 on 1 when going for rebounds. 
TP, i'll be sure to check that out.

« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2008, 09:23:41 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Seeing that the other folks on the Twolves masquerading as big men are 6'7, 6'7 and 6'9, I think I can understand his sentiments.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2008, 10:14:18 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
Seeing that the other folks on the Twolves masquerading as big men are 6'7, 6'7 and 6'9, I think I can understand his sentiments.

Yeah considering Doleac and Ratliff are the only other players taller than 6'10 on the Twolves roster.   

« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2008, 10:50:48 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Yeah considering Doleac and Ratliff are the only other players taller than 6'10 on the Twolves roster.   
Well, having Doleac and Ratliff is as good as... not having them at all. But then again, the FA market for big men is so bad that the Lakers had to sign DJ Mbenga after Bynum went down.

« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2008, 01:37:29 AM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum

Well, having Doleac and Ratliff is as good as... not having them at all. But then again, the FA market for big men is so bad that the Lakers had to sign DJ Mbenga after Bynum went down.

Haha I know what you mean, there are no good FA big men.  I feel bad for Al.  He and Gomes are putting up solid numbers but they are once again on a bad team....

« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2008, 05:02:53 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I'm sorry if I take this thread in a different direction but...
What, or how big if you will, are the chances of Al making
the A.S.G.? I can't remember his total votes. Does anyone have
a link to total votes? I missed maybe 2 days of All-Star voting
and my most "consistent" (in terms of who I voted for) A.S. team
selections look like this:
(and yes, I picked these players mostly by heart  ;))

East
G Ray Allen (pleeeease step it up, soon)
G Mo Williams (just to vote for someone other than Kidd, etc.)
F Paul Pierce (my man, the Truth!!!)
F Kevin Garnett (the perfect fit)
C Dwight Howard (monster)

West
G Baron Davis (B-Diddy)
G Kobe Bryant (like him or not, mr. Entertainment)
F Kevin Durant (this kid will rock)
F Al Jefferson (the Future)
C Amaré Stoudamire (dang)

« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2008, 08:15:17 PM »

Offline threzd

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
23. (28) Minnesota Timberwolves – As if Al Jefferson's recent 39-and-15 and 40-and-19 performances weren't reason enough to love him, the Wolves' talented young forward apparently is just as sharp with his wit. According to the Pioneer Press, Kevin Garnett made a point of reminding Jefferson of his many All-Star selections by shouting "Eleven years! Eleven years!" during their encounter last week. Jefferson's response? "I told him we both have one thing in common – no championships. He didn't like that too much."

« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2008, 09:08:33 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Pretty sweet 14-8 first quarter T-Wolves vs. Bulls tonight...Sorry I'm missing that one ;)

Big Al's got 12 boards at the half anyhow.
Yup

« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2008, 09:42:39 AM »

Offline billy774

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 20
Are AJ and RG becoming a legit one, two punch in this league? AJs 26 and 20, to go along with RGs 25 and 10. Plus holding the Bulls to 67 points someone must have played some D, I see Big Al had 2 blocks, and RG had 3 steals. It looks like they forced alot off turnovers as a team. Way to go guys.
PS Bassy also had ten assists.
Lar-ry!!! Lar-ry!!! Lar-ry!!!

« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2008, 10:46:53 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Are AJ and RG becoming a legit one, two punch in this league? AJs 26 and 20, to go along with RGs 25 and 10. Plus holding the Bulls to 67 points someone must have played some D, I see Big Al had 2 blocks, and RG had 3 steals. It looks like they forced alot off turnovers as a team. Way to go guys.
PS Bassy also had ten assists.

Ryan Gomes is a guy people admire and he's making some things happen, but ultimately, the Wolves must have a long defensive presence to team up with Al, and Gomes can't give them that. Even teams with great defensive big men try to pair them up with another long defender if they can. He can give them backup minutes at PF and he can compete for the 3 spot, but Gomes at PF with Al creates the same problems for the Wolves that we saw with the C's last year. They can't protect the rim. If Al could play with a real PF/C defender, the Wolves would make a major leap forward.