Author Topic: Zion Williamson is the final piece  (Read 13563 times)

Zion Williamson is the final piece
« on: August 18, 2018, 08:52:56 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
This year the Boston Celtics are a top tier team within striking distance of matching up with one of the top rosters ever constructed in GS. Arguably more important however is that we are in the rare territory that GS found itself in 3 years ago that the teams future is as bright or brighter than our presence.

Simplistically you can view us as
Present
Irving
Hayward
Horford

Future
Tatum
Jaylen
?

As Horford gracefully ages into no longer elite territory and/or Kyrie walks, as currently constructed we might find ourselves 1 to 2 more major pieces away from contending with the top team be it still GS, the Lakers, or maybe some Kyrie/Durant lead Monster in New York. Again though ours is the team with the brightest future and there happens to be a monster training up in Durham North Carolina.

I'd argue that with the Number 2 pick in the 2019 NBA draft the Boston Celtics could do no better than to select Zion Williamson of Duke University.

Dogged for years now over his supposed athletic shortcomings, weight issues, and pedestrian finishing abilities in the AAU circuit, Williamson is emerging as a force that has the potential to be a new kind of unicorn for the modern era. Unlike the Porzingis' and Myles Turners of the world, Zion wont shoot over players he'll barrel though them.

6'7 280 there will not be a player in the league save for possibly Embiid that will be able to bully him in the post and Zion has the open floor athleticism to be the first wave of an elite downhill assault. When imagining a fast-break with Jaylen, Tatum, and Zion filling the lanes there wont be a team out there that could produce the same amount of force and skill in the open court.

Al Horford will one day age and that top big man position will again be in question. All of the other top prospects are wings, the way I see it for the Celtics to solidify them selves as an all decade team they need to lock up tomorrow's core and you could ask for no better than Zion Williamson.

Am I overreacting to some dominant performances against laughable competition? Possibly.
https://youtu.be/WjO4zweaD2w
Will the Kings pick convey into a top asset? Hopefully
Will RJ Barret show enough to drop Zion out of the top spot? I'm beginning to doubt.
Is Zion Williamson a franchise altering talent and the final piece to a Celtics Dynasty? We'll just have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 09:29:36 AM by Smartacus »

Re: Zion Williamson is the final piece
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 09:15:59 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Too doo dam dam dam
Another one bites on the dunker!
Too doo dam dam dam...
 ;D
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 09:22:34 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
First of all the kings must not get the 1st pick... they are a lottery teambut it is good to get no7 but better to get no3

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 09:26:54 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
First of all the kings must not get the 1st pick... they are a lottery teambut it is good to get no7 but better to get no3

Yes in this ideal scenario we get the number 2 overall pick and RJ Barrett goes 1, presumably to a team like the Magic that would already be set for bigs.

Otherwise we'd have to trade up, which might not be possible.

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 10:22:05 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
You're overreacting.  Trae Young looked otherworldly until he got into Big12 play.  Let's see how Zion is doing 30 games into the season playing top notch ACC competition. 

As to your suggestion that he could be an NBA center, he's going to have to grow quite a bit to be anything beyond a situational small ball center.  He doesn't look that long.  Draftexpress site has his wingspan at 6'10" which is the same as Barrett. 

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 10:38:32 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Zion is the next coming of Charles Barkely. Otherworldly athleticism. Just needs to develop. It seems and sounds like he wants to be great. I saw that youtube video before and there's a blocked shot (I think it was called goaltending) that hit he swatted away almost off the top of the backboard. He also grabbed some serious rebounds by force and athleticism. He may have trouble posting up bigger players but he gets off the ground quicker than any player on the court. I am looking forward to watching him and my other binkie, Reddish, this season. Barrett does not excite me. He will not be the first player selected. He does a lot things well just doesn't excel at any one or more things, though he does have a great first step. That skill will get you open so I guess it is a big deal.

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 10:38:44 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Yes in this ideal scenario we get the number 2 overall pick and RJ Barrett goes 1, presumably to a team like the Magic that would already be set for bigs.

Otherwise we'd have to trade up, which might not be possible.

As far as trading up we have enough remaining assets to not dig that much into our core.  Let’s say the Kings pick is 7, if you add the Grizzlies pick, another pick or Smart or Rozier that should be more than enough to move up. 

With that said he does look like a Charles Barkley all over again in that clip, but it’s way too early.  Also I don’t think he’ll ever be a center, but a future young core of Williams (center), Williamson (PF), Tatum (PF/SF), Brown (SG) could be very special and a good fit with each other to go along with the older vets Horford, Hayward, Irving and other pieces remaining.

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 11:22:18 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
williamson weighs what? i see reports of 285 pounds for 6' 6". how long can those knees hold up with such weight? i think he currently out weighs all but a handful of current nba players.

sullinger was reportedly 280 to 285, but he was 6' 9".

great athleticism by williamson from what little i saw. but, is he a basketball player in terms of other skills? or, he is another version of kedrick brown, who was 6'8", 45 inch vertical, and had great atheticism?

i have seen williamson dunk, and little else. thus far, which isnt saying much, he hasnt shown the ability to shoot 3 pointers. but again, it really is too early to say much of anything aside from he is really athletic and he really needs to lose weight.

so, let's wait a bit and let him play some college ball before we all buy our tickets for the hype train.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 11:49:37 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
williamson weighs what? i see reports of 285 pounds for 6' 6". how long can those knees hold up with such weight? i think he currently out weighs all but a handful of current nba players.

great athleticism by williamson from what little i saw. but, is he a basketball player in terms of other skills? or, he is another version of kedrick brown, who was 6'8", 45 inch vertical, and had great atheticism?

i have seen williamson dunk, and little else. thus far, which isnt saying much, he hasnt shown the ability to shoot 3 pointers. but again, it really is too early to say much of anything aside from he is really athletic and he really needs to lose weight.

so, let's wait a bit and let him play some college ball before we all buy our tickets for the hype train.  ;D

From what little I’ve seen I see a very good rebounder especially in traffic, good passer, explosive first step, and someone who can handle the ball well.  Yes he can’t shoot well, but it seems like he has a decent form to build off of.  I think that’s a far cry of Kendrick Brown who was dunks, and maybe a little bit of a mid range J. Plus Brown was a SG where not having those ball skills really hurt, and Zion is more of a big. I don’t have much to go on though as I’ve haven’t a lot of Zion.

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 12:05:18 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Kedrick Brown was supposed to be a good 3 point shooter when he was drafted.  I think it was Chris Wallace who called him the best combination of athleticism and outside shooting in the draft.

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 12:21:01 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Alternatively, we could have opted to let's say "rent" Deonte Burton for a year because on the cheap, hehe. ;D

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 12:58:50 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
sully

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 01:12:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
sully
Not even remotely like one another
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 02:02:14 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
sully
Hardly. He's a freak athlete and one of the greatest leapers in the NBA the second he's drafted. Everyone  noticed how explosive Bagley was when he got to Duke a year ago, but ZW is on a whole different level.

I'm not sure how he'll translate to the NBA or whether or not he'd fit with us, but his strength and athleticism will make him a good rebounder and finisher.

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 02:28:38 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I need to see more from Zion. Right now I see Jason Maxiell.