Author Topic: Oh, the things they say on LA radio (LeBron, Heat, Lakers)  (Read 6099 times)

Oh, the things they say on LA radio (LeBron, Heat, Lakers)
« on: June 29, 2010, 05:42:13 PM »

Offline WaltonsIllegitimateSon

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
I caught a bit of an LA radio show yesterday, talking about the potential super-team that could be created if LeBron, D. Wade, and Chris Bosh all sign with Miami.

So what do the local talk radio guys do?  They ask each other whether said super-team could possibly defeat the sainted Los Angeles Lakers.  I'm not making this up.

And do you even have to ask, the Solons decided that yes indeed, the Lakers would match up favorably with the Super-Heat.  Kobe vs. LeBron, they say, is a wash.  Gasol can handle Bosh, you see, and Artest stops Wade.

And get this... the clinching Lakers advantage?  The Lakers would dominate the hypothetical Super-Heat because they WOULDN'T HAVE A CENTER to match up with the Mighty Bynum!!

Ain't fantasy-land great?  You get to play five-on-four, and you never have to consider the real world at all!

I haven't lived in Boston for a while, but I hope our radio guys don't ever say stuff like this.

Re: Oh, the things they say on LA radio (LeBron, Heat, Lakers)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 06:14:41 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I caught a bit of an LA radio show yesterday, talking about the potential super-team that could be created if LeBron, D. Wade, and Chris Bosh all sign with Miami.

So what do the local talk radio guys do?  They ask each other whether said super-team could possibly defeat the sainted Los Angeles Lakers.  I'm not making this up.

And do you even have to ask, the Solons decided that yes indeed, the Lakers would match up favorably with the Super-Heat.  Kobe vs. LeBron, they say, is a wash.  Gasol can handle Bosh, you see, and Artest stops Wade.

And get this... the clinching Lakers advantage?  The Lakers would dominate the hypothetical Super-Heat because they WOULDN'T HAVE A CENTER to match up with the Mighty Bynum!!

Ain't fantasy-land great?  You get to play five-on-four, and you never have to consider the real world at all!

I haven't lived in Boston for a while, but I hope our radio guys don't ever say stuff like this.

Eh, radio clowns are the same in every city. And they have to fill several hours with something. There is only so much baseball to be discussed in the summer.

However, what they are saying seams right on. I'd pick the Lakers over the in-theory super Heat next year too.

The Gasol / Bynum size advantage would be too much. The super Heat would have to also land Shaq and Brad Miller on minimum deals, as well as a 6th man on a minimum deal, in order to be taken seriously as title favorites next year.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 06:40:15 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
They're basically making the point why the LeBron/Bosh combo makes a lot more sense in Chi-town, where you've got Noah (absolutely the perfect center for that kind of squad) and Rose already in place, as well as Deng.  That theoretical Chicago squad would be beastly, even more so if they managed to procure Ray Allen or Mike Miller for the 2 guard (below-market signing, or via S&T).

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 07:52:29 PM »

Offline WaltonsIllegitimateSon

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
I certainly see your points above.  Especially about the radio guys needing to fill airtime.

I also think Lakers fans, as a whole, overrate Bynum.  IF they guy is healthy, IF the guy is motivated and IF he plays hard that particular night...  At some point, you're allowed to say that a good defensive center (Perkins) can negate his impact pretty well.  So why can't a dreamland Super Heat find a defensive-minded seven-footer?  Why WOULDN'T they?

I just hate the Lakers way too much to start thinking in June that they would beat a LeBron/Bosh/Wade combo.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 09:21:16 PM »

Offline LakerPete

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 21
The Laker bigs always chew Bosh up. He's just way too light in the back pocket to contend with them. Bynum especially. IF he's healthy, of course.  ;)

That being said, that's an amazing level of talent. I don't think their skill sets are particularly complimentary to each other, but at some point pure talent overcomes that...right? I'd love to see it.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 09:25:56 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Eh, radio clowns are the same in every city. And they have to fill several hours with something. There is only so much baseball to be discussed in the summer.

However, what they are saying seams right on. I'd pick the Lakers over the in-theory super Heat next year too.

The Gasol / Bynum size advantage would be too much. The super Heat would have to also land Shaq and Brad Miller on minimum deals, as well as a 6th man on a minimum deal, in order to be taken seriously as title favorites next year.

I'd pick us over the Super-Heat, as well.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 09:26:11 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I certainly see your points above.  Especially about the radio guys needing to fill airtime.

I also think Lakers fans, as a whole, overrate Bynum.  IF they guy is healthy, IF the guy is motivated and IF he plays hard that particular night...  At some point, you're allowed to say that a good defensive center (Perkins) can negate his impact pretty well.  So why can't a dreamland Super Heat find a defensive-minded seven-footer?  Why WOULDN'T they?

I just hate the Lakers way too much to start thinking in June that they would beat a LeBron/Bosh/Wade combo.

Oh yeah.. Andrew "If" Bynum is annoying for sure! ....Mr Glass.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 09:28:17 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Maybe so, a lot depends on who the supporting cast is in Miami.

I can see that Lakers team beating them if it's a weak, especially undersized, supporting cast. Portland may be able to give them a run for their money too.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 09:34:23 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
A "super-team" of Lebron, Wade, Bosh and a bunch of low level talent is not going to hold a candle to the Lakers in a series.  They won't have the size nor the supplementary pieces that would be necessary to knock them off.

I'm pretty sure this "super-team" doesn't make it out of the East until the league office tries its hardest to assure it (which is never beyond the realm of possibility).

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 09:44:59 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
They're basically making the point ...

The only point they are making, nay, the only point they care to make, is that the Lakers are the best.  Put all the best FAs together and the Lakers are still the best.

Interesting how history has a way of whitewashing reality.  Celtics were a couple of made 3 pointers away from making the Lakers an afterthought.

If people think the Celtics are washed out, what does that say about the Lakers?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 01:09:16 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
They're basically making the point ...

The only point they are making, nay, the only point they care to make, is that the Lakers are the best.  Put all the best FAs together and the Lakers are still the best.

Interesting how history has a way of whitewashing reality.  Celtics were a couple of made 3 pointers away from making the Lakers an afterthought.

If people think the Celtics are washed out, what does that say about the Lakers?

We were a healthy Kendrick Perkins away from winning the ship and a couple of lucky threes by the Lakers.  Lakers are vastly overrated now because they won the title and people are so blinded by Kobe and the Lakers flash that they don't realize we were the best team when we had Perk healthy.

"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce