Author Topic: Scal plays while KG sits. Who risks more by playing?  (Read 17972 times)

Re: Scal plays while KG sits. Who risks more by playing?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 08:49:21 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Its a tough deal either way, but what is the fair assessment of how fans should feel about it?

If I was there, I would raise absolute heck screaming for Scal when he enters the game.

I hope they start him in game 5.

Definitely Scal risks more.  I'm with ya.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 09:01:29 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Scal shouldnt be playing...The chance of serious permanent injury is too strong (without seeing his med records...who really knows, but based on reports)

I dont believe KG should play either, because if it was medically advisable, he would.

But Scal is risking permanent injury
From what I've read Scal's risk once he's asymptomatic won't decrease. Concussions have a cumulative effect. So unless you think he should retire right now I don't see why he shouldn't play.

It is his decision and he's obviously consulted doctor's and they have taken the situation seriously.

I do think he should retire right now.  Get away before he is further injured.

you read stories (primarily NFL players, Ted Johnson for example) about how they never want to leave, despite the injuries, and how they wish in hindsight someone had made them.  when you hear a guy like Johnson talk about the permanent effects of his concussions it just strikes me as not being worth it.  Scal has made a 'decent' living playing basketball.  He is recently a father.  the risk isnt worth it (Imo)

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 09:34:58 AM »

Offline Greg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
Scal risks much much much more.

As bad as we need Scal, and as bad as I want to see the Celtics win, he's dealing with something very serious.

And no sport is worth someone possibly risking their life (or permanent brain damage, whatever).

Just get better Scal, and see you next year (of course you're probably going to play anyways).

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2009, 09:40:10 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
This isn't football guys! How many concussions have you heard about in the NBA in the last 10 years?! Very few. He wasn't completely healthy when he went back out there last time and got knocked in the head again which made things worse. He has sat out a lot of time since then and been cleared by the medical staff who would be extra cautious with the situation. He's fine and should come back.

Maybe he should just run around wearing a helmet everywhere the rest of his life just in case someone bumps into him...

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2009, 09:40:58 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
The prominence of high-school football and a judicial system that promotes litigations turned the American public perception of concussions into an over-dramatic emotional response.

Scal is perfectly fine, as he's certainly been asymptomatic for awhile. He doesn't risk more than any other player - or, if he does, it's a microscopic increase, perfectly negligible. We're talking about two grade 1 concussions, not neurological damage. The guy plays basketball, he's not a boxer. IIRC, I've already suffered like 5 concussions - 3 as a forcado, 1 playing rugby and 1 in a car accident; and 2 of them were grade 3. I suppose Parkinson is around the corner for me... ::)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 09:47:40 AM by cordobes »

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 10:02:47 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
I'm not sure if you are insinuating it, but it's something I've read plenty already, that is - KG could play through the pain but just doesn't want to.

If so, I really cannot believe it.  If it was solely his decision to play or not, he'd probably have been back weeks ago.

if you told KG, we're going to amputate your legs and give you these:

he'd do it, just so he could play

naw, i dont think so...his love and wanting to be here for the team is great but....

scalabrine is gonna step up and play and not afraid like the mighty mabury...from what ive seen so far anyday of the week scal over moore, marbury and in somw cases big baby

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 10:42:43 AM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
Do we know that Scal hasn't been working out etc...I thought his condition mainly kept him from playing in contact situations where the injury might be exacerbated...not that he couldn't practice to keep in shape / shooting etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it was during the last game of the regular season when Mike and Tommy were talking about Scal, his rehab, and when he'll be back. They quoted Scal as saying if it were up to him he'd be back already, but that it's obviously not up to him and that he has to stick to the program the doctors gave him. They're easing him back into contact stuff. He's been "staying in shape" (for Scal anyways) the whole time. He was doing 1-on-1 stuff in practice before the Wizards game and they said the earliest he'd be back is mid-way through the 2nd round.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 11:18:22 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Scal should wear a padded helmet.

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 12:11:21 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Scal's situation is much more scary on a future quality of life level.  While KG would certainly have risks and pain, he certainly wouldn't be at the risk level of Scals.

Play hard, but take care of yourself too Scally.

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 12:14:05 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Haha, why not?  Players wear face shields when they break their noses.  It would provide some comic relief, but it makes sense.

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 12:47:11 PM »

Offline Celtics

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 1
Haha, why not?  Players wear face shields when they break their noses.  It would provide some comic relief, but it makes sense.

Lol, good point.  TP

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 12:51:59 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Its a tough deal either way, but what is the fair assessment of how fans should feel about it?

If I was there, I would raise absolute heck screaming for Scal when he enters the game.

I hope they start him in game 5.

Honestly, if he is able to play, and he is able to knock down his shot, I would start him too.  As well as Davis has played, Scal opens up the floor even more for Rondo, and his lack of rebounding isn't as much of a factor when Perk is there.  Not to mention he is a good defender against guys like Thomas.

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 12:53:14 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
This isn't football guys! How many concussions have you heard about in the NBA in the last 10 years?! Very few.

Maybe he should just run around wearing a helmet everywhere the rest of his life just in case someone bumps into him...

The prominence of high-school football and a judicial system that promotes litigations turned the American public perception of concussions into an over-dramatic emotional response.

Scal is perfectly fine, as he's certainly been asymptomatic for awhile. He doesn't risk more than any other player - or, if he does, it's a microscopic increase, perfectly negligible.

The increased risk is that a concussion tomorrow for Paul Pierce likely means nothing.  that same concussion for Scal could have grave consequences. 

and it doesnt particularly matter how many there have been, as it only takes one more for potentially very serious results.

It's funny, I am not sure I have ever seen anyone make this argument.  generally, the argument is that we dont do enough to protect and recognize concussion/post concussion syndrome.

If anything, studies are coming out more and more showing the dangers...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/26/athlete.brains/index.html

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 12:57:21 PM »

Offline wilymogilman

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 4
I don't understand how some of you loyal Celtic fans wish for the team to just shut it down...really? do you really want to see them lose 1st round? This team is good enough to go deep and make it to the finals, and beat the lakers again. Yes, KG is considered the #2 Defensive Player in the NBA statistic wise, yes - we have Mikki Moore getting extended minutes. What we also have is Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, Rondo and some very hungry and determined bench players willing to give all they got to prove all you naysayers wrong. Don't believe a inch of when someone like House or Davis claim to not listen to the media. They hear what people are saying, they read the paper, they know what is going on. They understand they are considered the underdogs. What you should believe is that these players are going to give it 110% and willrepresent Celtics pride to the fullest. We made it to the Eastern Conference Finals with Paul Pierce and a bunch of bench players, we can make it to the finals with what we have now. You gotta believe, and you gotta support the team. They are in it for the long haul and we should be as well. Go Green.

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 12:58:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

The increased risk is that a concussion tomorrow for Paul Pierce likely means nothing.  that same concussion for Scal could have grave consequences. 

and it doesnt particularly matter how many there have been, as it only takes one more for potentially very serious results.

I think the problem is there is simply not enough clean data to determine whether the clear issue of people being more susceptible to concussions (and worse ones) after having them previously is simply because they are getting the second concussion before the first one has completely healed or not.