Author Topic: ESPN - Next Summer will not be kind to free agents  (Read 1520 times)

ESPN - Next Summer will not be kind to free agents
« on: July 28, 2017, 09:06:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20143724/nba-nuclear-winter-forecasted-free-agents-summer-2018

Of note for the Celtics, they project Thomas at 25 million and Smart at 13 million which makes Boston a tax payer.  They also have Bradley projected at 20 million for Detroit. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: ESPN - Next Summer will not be kind to free agents
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 09:13:57 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This was the reason I was against overpaying for just good players in the past off seasons the we the fans discussed on here as if it would be OK with the cap explosion. 

Really glad the Celtics had self control as well.

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 09:24:25 AM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
Eagerly awaiting saltover's take...

TP for when he shows

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 09:35:22 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
This was the reason I was against overpaying for just good players in the past off seasons the we the fans discussed on here as if it would be OK with the cap explosion. 

https://youtu.be/z9hhf8j8l5Q
STOP YOUR SELF CONTROL
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 09:39:04 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
It's clear you shouldn't overspend when you have no security of the future salary cap variations. As the world/a country's economy can enter a difficult period abruptly, the same can happen in every financial situation in sports where changes can arise.

That's why we must value what we have in our front office and sometimes people bashing Ainge (for example, for not trading for Ibaka or PJ Tucker last deadline) should realize. We are in very good hands, the pros clearly overcome the cons.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 09:40:48 AM »

Offline clintonwalker

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
From the bit I read he seems to be indicating times will he tough for the "middle class" . Guys like Evan Turner won't get 80 million but all-stars like Isaiah Thomas will still get their brinks truck I reckon

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 09:49:45 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Although overpaying players on short term deals really helps with salary matching when trading for stars.  I think it's one of the reasons Amir's and Tyler's contracts were structured the way they were even though we didn't end up using them in trades.

Trading Bradley for a lesser salary in Morris makes it even more difficult now, though not impossible.  However if we were trading someone like AD and not a lesser star Horford's contract, Brown or Tatum could be used to make it easier again.

But if you are trading for say just a regular star let's say Kevin Love or Marc Gasol the matching salaries we would have to use makes it so we would be overpaying in a trade unless if the other team is willing to throw in draft picks.