Author Topic: Silver Linings  (Read 2454 times)

Silver Linings
« on: October 17, 2017, 09:23:04 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Before I get sprayed, that break was horrific I feel disgusted and almost like a member of my family was in a serious accident. But I feel you have to look for positivity in life in general so you have to search for the thin silver linings from Hayward injury.

The reality of the situation even before the season is we wen’t winning the title this year, I actually think we wouldn’t make the Finals. I highly doubt Tatum was going to start or get huge minutes all season, now he is. Brown looks fantastic to start the season and now his usage is going to go up greatly. These two guys now will get to develop their game on the court...when Hayward is back next season we will make our run with two seasoned youngsters.

Re: Silver Linings
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 09:24:19 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I like your spirit.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 09:24:21 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I agree, silver lining is that Tatum and Brown will get a ton of minutes and develop faster. Once Hayward is back next year, this team will be all the better for it.

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 09:37:32 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Jaylen is already stepping up.

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 09:41:00 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I don’t really agree.  We definitely had a decent chance of making the finals, which would hav e been great.  Now that’s probably out the window.  That sucks no matter how you look at it. 

But yeah, young development is okay.  Just not what I was looking forward to this season.

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 09:41:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Our draft pick will be better, maybe by a lot.

:-/

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 09:49:18 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I don’t really agree.  We definitely had a decent chance of making the finals, which would hav e been great.  Now that’s probably out the window.  That sucks no matter how you look at it. 

But yeah, young development is okay.  Just not what I was looking forward to this season.

Yay! Player development! (he said sarcastically)

This sucks. No way a Hayward-less team (or a team with a recently returned (rusty) Hayward) is going to beat CLE in a 7-game series.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 09:52:46 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Tatum is now in play for rookie of the year

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 10:23:26 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
He may win it, now!!!
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 10:51:34 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Tatum sniffed a triple double in his first NBA game. (Curious to know how that compares all-time for a debut)

Brown has a career high, he should have won the game with that WIDE OPEN three though.

Baynes played probably his best ever NBA game.

Kyrie played defense  :o

A second round draft pick got some exposure.

There are many silver linings.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 10:53:10 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Our draft pick will be better, maybe by a lot.

:-/

Better package for Anthony Davis?  :-\

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 10:58:19 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
He may win it, now!!!
Strong candidate for sure because of the minutes he will be spoonfed.

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 10:58:26 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Silver linings:

1. We had no Gordon Hayward and no Marcus Morris, and we still almost beat the Cavs.  After mediocre games from Love, Wade and Rose forced Lebron to pretty much do everything - nothing new there, and could be the first indication of how compromised this Clevleand team might be.

2. Jayson Tatum just registered a 14/10/3 double-double on solid 45% shooting in his first NBA game against one of the leagues top teams - a great start to his pro career.  Regardless of whether he starts or comes off the bench this year (I assume Smart will start at SG, Brown at SF, Tatum as the 6th man)  he should get starters minutes.  If he can average quality numbers on a legit playoff team, he will have a very serious ROTY shot. Tatum also finished second on the team at a +6 and was pretty much a + through the entire game.

3. Jaylen Brown just opened up with a monster game, putting up 25 points on 48% shooting along with 6 rebounds and 3 steals.  If could up up even a fraction of those numbers (18 and 5 on 45% shooting, for example) then that will not only give his career a huge boost, but will also help make up a great deal of what we lose with the Hayward injury.

4. Rozier had a very solid game tonight with 9 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals and zero turnovers in 19 minutes.   If Brad starts Smart and Brown, then Rozier's role and minutes will increase in a huge way - as he will pretty much become the defacto leader of the second unit.  There will be a fantastic opportunity for him to develop fast and to show what he can do.   

5. Tatum and Brown should both easily get 28+ MPG now, and Rozier will likely get minutes up in the 20-25 minute range.  This injury will mean all three guys will have a far greater opportunity to develop fast.  If all three can excel in their roles, then this will only make the team exponentially stronger once Hayward returns next season.   

6. Kyrie quietly had a pretty spectacular first game as a Celtic, putting up a double-double with 22 points (47% shooting, 44% 3PT), 10 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 steals and only 2 turnovers. He's starting to show more and more that he really does have some legit potential as a true PG, with this now being his second straight game with double figure assists.

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 11:03:06 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Oh and one more big one to add to the silver lining list...

Even with Hayward out for the season, looking at how bad the East is right now, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that we still have a legit chance of making the ECF this year.

I mean seriously - we just came within one possession of beating the Eastern Conference favourites without Morris and without Hayward.  And the biggest plus side of us getting Morris was his ability to match up with Lebron - had he been ready to go today, this could have easily been a W for us.   

And even without Hayward, I still give us a very good chance against the Raptors and the Wizards - really the only other teams in the East who pose any threat at all. 

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 11:04:43 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I agree, silver lining is that Tatum and Brown will get a ton of minutes and develop faster. Once Hayward is back next year, this team will be all the better for it.

Yeah, that's how you have to look at it.

By next year we could have a super legit starting lineup of Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, and Al where Brown and Tatum aren't question marks anymore.